1200 calories?

Options
After doing the check at the beginning they estimated my daily calorie intake at 1200. does that take into consideration the two Fast Days at 500 calories? 500 is not 25% of the 1200, more like 45%, so what is the solution? Can anyone help? thank you

Replies

• rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes, the solution is your brain needs more food in order to write clearer posts.
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    Yes, the solution is your brain needs more food in order to write clearer posts.

lol be nice

Why are you fasting 2 days a week. 500 calories is way too low and not healthy. 900 is too low and I've done that prepping for a competition and I about kill people at work
  • cpattyson63
    cpattyson63 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We could use a little more info to help us give you a better response. So are you being put on a 1200 calorie diet by a Dr? You should never go less than 1000 calories when dieting unless you are under a dr's care. Are you a pre bariatric patient like some of us on here?
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Do you mean you're doing a 5:2 plan but MFP tells you to eat 1200 every day?
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    :ohwell:

MFP isn't based on 5:2 dieting. Or any *diet* at all for that matter.

Eat enough, exercise plenty and get FIT
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't really figure on you doing any fast days. They always want you to eat at least 1200. If you want to try the 5:2 fast diet, you should probably do some research on how many calories you should have on the non-fasting days. I would imagine that it would be over 1200.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    MFP doesnt take fasting days into account. I am on 1200 daily but no fasting
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand why anyone fasts...seriously...I eat, I work out, I've lost 44 lbs.
  • ashliejones13
    Options
    Unless you're fasting for religious purposes, I suggest you do some research on why it's not a good thing to do.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are fasting for 2 days, shouldn't you be eating at maintenance for the other 5? Set your goal to lose 0 lbs per week and eat much less on your fast days

will if 500 is supposed to be 25% then eat 500 for 2 dyas, and 2000 for the other 5
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand why anyone fasts...seriously...I eat, I work out, I've lost 44 lbs.

Agree. I eat, I work out, and I've lost 84 pounds. Be good to your body.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Of course MFP does not incorporate fast days ...... MFP gives you a DAILY total based upon the number of pounds you want to lose PER WEEK..... the lowest possible number being 1200. Because so many people want to lose weight right NOW ....1200 is a popular number (not necessarily an appropriate number).

2 fast days should NOT be combined with 1200 calories per day. That would leave you an average calorie intake of 1,000 calories per day. Unless you are a small child, your BMR is certainly above 1,000.

This is NOT how 5:2 is supposed to work. If you want to use 5:2 you eat 5 days at maintenance ..... look up your TDEE (total daily expenditure) and then incorporate 2 (non consecutive) fast days of 500
  • smudgekat
    Options
    If your on 5:2 from what I understood you should be eating normally (maintanance) on non fast days and 500ish for the two fast days.

(Im only using the book because the fasting meals make good snacks on my diet, but Im pretty sure 1200 is to low for normal days on 5:2 I'm No expert though. )
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Seriously, if you don't really understand what you're doing, I suggest you don't do it.

Take a simpler approach and just exercise a bit more.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    If you're doing the 5:2 plan, you will need to figure out your maintenance calories and make a custom goal. I can assure you 1200 is not maintenance for you. There is no way to account for the two fast days, so those days you will just show that you're under your goal.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options

Agree. I eat, I work out, and I've lost 84 pounds. Be good to your body.

I also agree...I eat and occasionally work out and have lost 157 pounds.....No need to fast unless it's for religious reasons.
  • DMJS
    DMJS Posts: 46
    Options
    According to My Fitness Pal, you should never go under 1200 cals. If you do you are loosing muscle. YOUR HEART is a muscle.
    It takes a 3500 calorie deficit to loose a pound, just as it take 3500 overage to gain a pound. So if your lifestyle is sedentary then you have to get moving to loose weight. That is only 500 calories per day for a week.
    Just food for thought.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you're doing the 5:2 plan, you will need to figure out your maintenance calories and make a custom goal. I can assure you 1200 is not maintenance for you. There is no way to account for the two fast days, so those days you will just show that you're under your goal.

THIS

But seriously, rather than starve two days a week why not instead look at your calories across the week and "save" some for days when you know you're going to eat a bit more - because you've got a party, or you're eating someone else's cooking for example.

Its worked for me!
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    dTWgwDm.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    dTWgwDm.gif

Love it!!!