Losing weight as made me MORE conscious of my body :/

Options
Every since I started losing weight (about 6 months ago) I have become very obsessed with my body. I never used to be like this. I wouldn't even think of how my body looked. I was only over weight for a short period of time in my life but I lost the weight back in November. I am now sitting at the middle of my BMI but I just keep wanting to get skinnier. Its like once I got a taste of weight loss, I just want to keep going. I also can't stop looking at thinspo and getting jealous of them.

I look at my stomach in the mirror every time I go to the bathroom. Every night before bed I look at my body and judge myself and all the areas I need to improve.

How do I fix this.

Replies

• caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Last year i became obsessed with losing even more weight, I was becoming obsessed and even worse, started judging myself and others based on whether I or they were skinny. Luckily i recognised this wasnt normal thinking so i took a year off and planned to just eat/drink and be merry, which was exactly what i did and enjoyed every moment. I actually wanted to gain 10lbs and ended up gaining 16 :) But it was cool, i still looked thin, there wasnt actually much difference. But i needed that year to re-set everything. Now im dieting again, and exercising, but i dont want to be skinny, i want to be fitter and healthier, there is a difference.

Good luck to you xx
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Every since I started losing weight (about 6 months ago) I have become very obsessed with my body. I never used to be like this. I wouldn't even think of how my body looked. I was only over weight for a short period of time in my life but I lost the weight back in November. I am now sitting at the middle of my BMI but I just keep wanting to get skinnier. Its like once I got a taste of weight loss, I just want to keep going. I also can't stop looking at thinspo and getting jealous of them.

I look at my stomach in the mirror every time I go to the bathroom. Every night before bed I look at my body and judge myself and all the areas I need to improve.

How do I fix this.

How do you fix it? Listen to some of the advice/suggestions in some of your other threads.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Tagging thread, because I find myself wondering the same thing.

I said to my husband last night that I'm not sad that I embarked on this journey, but I am upset how obsessed I am with my body right now. I have more perceived flaws than ever before and I'm worried I'll never be satisfied.
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    seek for professional help, op. please.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Stop looking at thinspo for starters. That **** is poison. Go watch some videos of the Olympics and Crossfit Games. Do something with your body besides becoming skinnier - make it stronger, make it faster, make it sexier.

If you find you can do none of the above, get professional help, cos there's likely very little anyone here can do for you.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Find something else to focus on--something you'll really enjoy that has nothing to do with food or weight. Reading, knitting, gardening, cars, etc. Lose the thinspo, but you knew that :wink:
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I think some people just tend to be obsessive people. Maybe it's time find something else to obsess over that isn't fitness related? Find a hobby, try to acquire a new skill, volunteer at an old folks home.
  • JLArispe
    JLArispe Posts: 62
    Options
    We are our own worst enemies, especially women we are WAY TO HARD on ourselves and sometimes things are never good enough. We are perfectionists and want our bodies to look that way. Well, no one or nothing is perfect, just learn to be happy with what you have accomplished. We want what other people have, but you don't know what could be wrong with that person who is 5-10 skinnier than you or the person who is tone with 6 pack abs. Be proud of the changes you have made and don't dwell on others. Good luck in all you do!
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Completely understand ... at my heaviest I weighed 382 lbs ... Took my shirt off every chance I got ... Wore bright colors, didnt care who saw me, now that I have lost 142 lbs and am down at 240 ... I find myself always "feeling fat" and I never felt that way when I was at my heaviest. But I came to the realization about 6 months ago, it doesn't matter. As long as I am eating healthy and exercising often, I'm doing right by myself so regardless of what my brain "sees" I still am making progress.
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    I'm working on these issues now. It occurred to me today that I have been overly critical of my body for more than 35 years. It's insane and it has to stop NOW. So I wrote an apology to my body and now I'm being disciplined about how I speak to myself. I trust the weight will keep coming off but weight isn't the issue. I hated my body when I was a model, I hated my body when I was a child, I hated my body when I was underweight.

Has to stop NOW. So I am using affirmations, praising my body for all the amazing things it can do. For being able bodied, healthy, creative, and for putting up with all the crap I have put it through.

So feed your body healthy food, give it nice exercise, thank it for being such a good friend to you and trust that the weight continues to come off but the weight is not the issue.
  • jaygirl8628
    Options
    I understand this....

I have a similar situation... I lost 15 pounds a few months ago (which isn't a ton I know) but it made a difference for me and I loved it. It made me want to keep going but I fell off the wagon and ended up feeling/looking worse. Now I am getting back on track but I need to focus more on getting fit instead of just skinny. And I will admit, I have looked at thinspo before but I just try and stay away from it now. It is toxic and makes you feel bad about your body.

Focus on you, don't compare yourself to anyone else
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this. Before when I was 50+ pounds heavier I really didn't think much about things until I hit a wall and saw it all at once. Now, I mentally review every perceived imperfection on myself on a daily basis. I'm pretty sure that is unhealthy but it actually motivates me more to taking steps towards my goal body....even though I may never get there. Sometimes I think my self-esteem was higher when I was more out of shape bc i simply did not give a ****.

So I guess, in short, I have nothing useful to add except to say I get it.
  • flowers8628
    Options
    bump
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    I think it is okay to want to look better. As someone already said, you can always try to improve to become more fit and look good rather than taking the losing the pounds routine because that makes you feel way better.