shoes when doing DVD workout?

Options
This is probably a stupid question, but I am starting a DVD workout at home (30DS and Zumba). I have carpeting where I’ll be working out. Can I do it barefoot or should I wear sneakers? I don’t want to hurt my feet, ankles, etc., but it would just be easier to do it without shoes. What would you recommend?

Replies

• missdamman
    Options
    when i first started doing workout vdeos i didnt wear shoes (i have hardwood floors).. i noticed my feet started hurting as the days progressed. i suggest wearing shoes.
  • judypriv
    judypriv Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You should probably use shoes but I hate shoes and they come off when i come in the house and don't go back on until I leave the house. I do my workouts barefooted EXCEPT zumba. I have pergo and I found when doing zumba my feet hurt or got caught so I use my zumba sneakers for that.
  • MeowSkull
    MeowSkull Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    When I started those, I was doing them with Toms on laminate flooring and a thin rug. So much pain. The routines induce a lot of pressure from jumping and use of your feet (especially the balls) so I definitely recommend decent shoes.

Sketchers makes a wonderful "Go Walk" series that are snug to your feet, breathe, and are incredibly light weight. I use them for all my indoor exercises now.
  • elaanne
    elaanne Posts: 35
    Options
    I workout barefoot when I do DVDs at home, whether I'm on carpet (in the basement) or on hardwood (upstairs). I wanted to build my endurance for being barefoot, because I also do a martial art where you must be barefoot.

I think it's largely personal preference. Maybe just be extra cautious if you're doing big side-to-side movements, where it might be easier to roll your ankle over if you don't have shoes on?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    barefoot is fine if you've got the traction/stability you need.

Otherwise go with shoes, ideally something pretty tight fitting with minimal sole/cushion/support.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I found I preferred barefoot. I actually had more knee issues when doing 30 DS while wearing shoes on my carpet. If it was hardwood I would probably wear shoes. So I guess my opinion is do what feels right to you.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I tried barefoot but slid around on my carpet too much - I got rugburn on my feet! Bought some cross trainer shoes since my home workouts vary quite a bit - no regrets!
  • cjsf3
    cjsf3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love going barefoot, but I would get blisters from the carpet. So I use Vibram Five Fingers KSO barefoot shoes for aerobic videos (everything from 30DS to P90X). I hate using the Five Fingers for running, but they work great as an indoor aerobic shoe.
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine doing anything besides yoga without my saucony's. I run in them & do Insanity.
  • kasiaj
    kasiaj Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I'm going to go without shoes.
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I never wear sneakers, seem so heavy, but sometimes I wear socks. I have carpeting where I work out and a thick mat though.