Weight Training and Cardio (Help)

Hi there,
Today I am going to give weight training a shot. If not today, than tomorrow. I am not feeling wonderful today :/
As far as weight training goes would you suggest cardio before or after? I am starting slowly and dibbling into it.

Do you suggest lighter weights or heavier weights with less reps, etc.
Any information you can give me would be awesome.

Thanks!

Replies

• usagi09
    usagi09 Posts: 14 Member
    I would suggest doing at least 30 minutes of cardio before you try weights. A walk works; just pick your pace.
    Right now I do free weights and barbells, this way:
    15 pounds - 10 lifts
    10 pounds - 20 lifts
    5 pounds - 30 lifts

I do standing bicep curls, tricepts extensions, barbell curls. I also add in upright row and standing push ups with straps with a toal of 40 for each in sets of 10.

Hope this helps or post me/add me if you like!

~Usagi
  • Usagi,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. That sounds like a great plan- I appreciate it!
  • criscram
    criscram Posts: 11
    Hi. I do a little of both every day I go to gym. During summer break (I am a teacher), I do 30 min. cardio and 15-20 min weight/strength, rotating between upper and lower body. School starting soon so my plan is to continue with 30 min cardio and full body (upper & lower). I probably am working isolated muscles when toning. I have not learned how to get more muscles out of a workout...lol...but hope to soon.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    You're most likely going to get different opinions on this so my advice is to read what everyone says, try a couple different approaches and figure out what works best for you.

The most logical I've read is to do a warm up cardio exercise for 5-10 minutes before lifting. Nothing too strenuous because you need to save the muscles and energy to lift the weights. Then do your cardio after lifting.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    I do 5 minutes HIIT prior, 5 minutes HIIT post. If I'm feeling up to it, I'll do 15 minutes of HIIT on my 'off' days, but if I don't feel up to it I'll do a light jog/long walk that lastsabout 45-60 minutes.

So lifting Mon, Wed, Fri; HIIT on Tue, Thur, Sat. Bit of yoga or other type of flexibility training on Sunday, and lots of walking.

I would listen to my body and do the minimum amount of cardio required on lifting days, because running/cycling/etc. is still taxing on the body, and I don't want my performance when lifting to be hindered by cardio. Just something to think about.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    As a newby to weights it might be better to alternate days - e.g. weights Mon, Wed, Fri and cardio Tue, Thur, Sat.

if you really want to do both on the same day then it's personal choice really depending on your goals - whichever you do first will likely have some impact on your energy for what you do second. So if ihitting PRs with weights is your priority, do that first, but if hitting a PR on running speed/time is your priority then do that first.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    For me who does all Lifting, I use a lighter weight for a couple of sets as a warm up, for example if im doing a bicep curl at 18kg, I will do 2 sets of 14kg for 8-10 reps, then my 3 sets of 18kg for 8-10. Just a different way to warm up.

If you must do cardio warm up, 5-10 is the most you will need to do.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    This is a really good weight lifting routine.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

I'd do it before cardio, maybe after a 5-10 min cardio warm-up so that you aren't too tired to focus on form.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    I started off with 5x5 and found it unsustainable after about 2 months (when I was beginning to put near to BW on my back). Squatting 5x5, 3x a week is a real beach. Switched to Starting Strength and 3x5, and I'm still going, albeit slowly.

I've heard people say 5/3/1 is preferable over 5x5 for consistent linear progress, but YMMV as usual.

It's great to begin with to get some weight on your back, but so is a 3x5 routine.