How long til you see some results?

Options
13»

Replies

• annstan12
    Options
    I am not sure my reply went through... bc it allows me to eat closer to 1500-1600 cals a day v. 1200. Its not that I purposely eat them back, I just end up being closer to that range on a daily basis and don't feel deprived.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    "I eat my workout calories back if I can!"

So do you want to lose weight or do you want to be in shape? Seriously. Which is the top priority? If you're running around and all sorts of fun stuff at 5'6" 156 congrats you're already in shape!

But you want to lose weight. Come to terms with the fact that you can't work out as much on reduced calories. (remember, goal is to LOSE not gain muscle) Do not eat your workout calories. In fact don't even log your workout calories, consider that extra. When I'm losing (in the same range you are... I'm not one of the obese people who can apparently cut out soda and drop 15 pounds), I actually stop all cardio workouts (strength training can stay).

Cardio is for maitenance; not for losing. Losing is all about how much food never passed your lips that week. When I attempt to go from 135 to 130 in October I will probably cut out all cardio again (as well as carbs at 40-60g a day).

Ummm....you can most definitely get your fitness on when you're dieting. Also, MFP's calorie GOAL is a deficit of calories from maintenance that is NET of exercise...because MFP is a NEAT method calculator, not a TDEE calculator...thus exercise is extra activity that needs to be fueled. You're supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP to properly fuel that activity...it can be difficult to accurately estimate burn so most people eat back 1/2 to 2/3 of their estimated burn to account for that error probability. You don't know how to use the tool you're using.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options

So do you want to lose weight or do you want to be in shape? Seriously. Which is the top priority? If you're running around and all sorts of fun stuff at 5'6" 156 congrats you're already in shape!

But you want to lose weight. Come to terms with the fact that you can't work out as much on reduced calories. (remember, goal is to LOSE not gain muscle) Do not eat your workout calories. In fact don't even log your workout calories, consider that extra. When I'm losing (in the same range you are... I'm not one of the obese people who can apparently cut out soda and drop 15 pounds), I actually stop all cardio workouts (strength training can stay).

Cardio is for maitenance; not for losing. Losing is all about how much food never passed your lips that week. When I attempt to go from 135 to 130 in October I will probably cut out all cardio again (as well as carbs at 40-60g a day).
    Cardio is for maintenance? WHAT? LOL. I do not agree with this AT ALL. Daily exercise (any kind) and 1500 calories a day should give you the energy to STAY HEALTHY AND LOSE WEIGHT. You can do both.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I am not sure my reply went through... bc it allows me to eat closer to 1500-1600 cals a day v. 1200. Its not that I purposely eat them back, I just end up being closer to that range on a daily basis and don't feel deprived.

You're supposed to eat them back with MFP...at least most. Most people do roughly 1/2 to 2/3 depending on how accurate they feel they are with estimating burn. When I used my HRM and did MFP I ate back about 70% to account for inherent estimation error and that worked just fine. MFP is a NEAT method calculator...this means that exercise is NOT included in your activity level when you set it up...at least if you set up your profile correctly...it is EXTRA activity that needs proper fuel.

Bottom line, it's been two weeks....two weeks is jack crap in the grand scheme of things. This is a long haul...marathon, not a sprint. I'm almost a year in and 40 Lbs down and still a work in progress.
  • ABeltwayBandit23
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I measure... I had too much fun at a Mexican Restaurant on Tuesday and measured every last painful calorie. So, I am trying to be good and hold myself accountable. The problem with eating back my cals is that I am always eating them at night. I workout at lunch and it is the only time I can do it bc of the babies! So, I end up having 1000 cals at night which is too much for the evening, so I don't eat them all. They are 15 months now and I work full time. But, I must do this. I have about 100 dresses in my closet that don't fit, and about 10 that do!

Hi:

We have quite a few similarities (minus the twins...lol)

1. For twenty pounds, I would give myself 2.5 months to lose the weight.

2. I would continue eating 1100-1200 calories a day and burning at least 300-400 a day in exercise. Do not eat those calories back! With this plan, you would probably lose the 20 lbs. in 1.5-2 months. It may seem unrealistic, but I have done it before. Stay motivated. You would not have to worry about your metabolism because the working out helps you tremendously.

3. Think about Intermittent Fasting (I know I am going to get a lot of naysayers, but at least read up on it). It does not deprive you, and you eat every day. I have dropped 8 pounds this week and eat as much as I want.
  • ABeltwayBandit23
    Options

Be careful with the Myfitnesspal.com calculators that tell you how many calories you burn a day (basal metabolic rate). They overexaggerate by a lot!!!! It tells me that I can eat 1900 calories a day to maintain my weight. That is a boldface lie. I can only eat about 1550 calories to maintain my weight. You may overeat if you follow their calculators.
  • bartman4
    bartman4 Posts: 24
    Options
    I take a slightly different approach and just eat back calories to the extent I feel like it on days I work out a lot. I've found that generally Fitbit, MFP, etc. tell me I can eat far more than I actually can to lose weight. I target 1500-1800 calories a day and between working at a treadmill desk and riding my bike, I work out a lot.

Keep track of your running average weight (say over 2 weeks). I used www.trendweight.com to do this. Your scale doesn't lie. If you aren't losing weight, it's because you are consuming too many calories on average and you may need to drop your daily target a bit and see if that gets you there. My daily target went from 2200 to 2000 to 1500. I went from losing nothing (that month sucked) to 1.5 pounds a month to .75 to 1 pound a week...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I measure... I had too much fun at a Mexican Restaurant on Tuesday and measured every last painful calorie. So, I am trying to be good and hold myself accountable. The problem with eating back my cals is that I am always eating them at night. I workout at lunch and it is the only time I can do it bc of the babies! So, I end up having 1000 cals at night which is too much for the evening, so I don't eat them all. They are 15 months now and I work full time. But, I must do this. I have about 100 dresses in my closet that don't fit, and about 10 that do!

Hi:

We have quite a few similarities (minus the twins...lol)

1. For twenty pounds, I would give myself 2.5 months to lose the weight.

2. I would continue eating 1100-1200 calories a day and burning at least 300-400 a day in exercise. Do not eat those calories back! With this plan, you would probably lose the 20 lbs. in 1.5-2 months. It may seem unrealistic, but I have done it before. Stay motivated. You would not have to worry about your metabolism because the working out helps you tremendously.

3. Think about Intermittent Fasting (I know I am going to get a lot of naysayers, but at least read up on it). It does not deprive you, and you eat every day. I have dropped 8 pounds this week and eat as much as I want.

I'm going to nay-say eating 700 - 900 calories net a day. That is way way to low.
    I'm guessing the OP set her goal to lose 2 lbs per week. Really just do 1lbs or .5 lbs per week.

If you look around for the IIFIYM crown (If it fits in your macros) we aren't starving and are very healthy.

Look into couch 2 5k for your runs, and stronglifts 5x5, new rules of lifting for women, or body-weight exercises. Be consistent and as accurate as you can with your eating. Good luck!
  • annstan12
    Options
    I don't agree either... maybe if you are super skinny and a healthnut, you may need to focus on your diet a bit more if you are trying to lose. But, I am not the above description, and know that cardio is the way to go for me!
  • crazylilrae
    crazylilrae Posts: 29 Member
    Options

If you know you will be working out any given day, maybe increase your morning meals to include those work out calories so you don't have to eat them all at the end of the day :smile:
  • annstan12
    Options

If you know you will be working out any given day, maybe increase your morning meals to include those work out calories so you don't have to eat them all at the end of the day :smile:

Right. It is always a game of poker for me during the day.... but you are right. Load up during the morning/day and then cut back at night. I save them for wine too. :)
  • ambershanelle2
    ambershanelle2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is why dieting is so confusing. "Eat back your calories." "You need a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 pound." So which is it? Do you need a deficit or do you eat back your calories?
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Cardio is for maintenance? WHAT? LOL. I do not agree with this AT ALL. Daily exercise (any kind) and 1500 calories a day should give you the energy to STAY HEALTHY AND LOSE WEIGHT. You can do both.

I agree! I've been mixing cardio and strength training. All working so far.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post but noticed a couple twin moms commenting here. I too have two year old B/G twins and a 5 year old son. To you ladies - any luck getting rid of that twin skin? My stomach is SCARY!

My twin skin has not gone away yet, but I had 12.5 lbs of twin girls in there, then had a 10.5 lb baby boy a year later! Probably didn't help that I was 38 and 39 when I had the kids as well since skin is less elastic at this age.

I notice the skin more the more weight I lose. 7 years later it is getting a "tiny" bit better, or maybe I'm getting used to it? I just have the sag around my belly button and can totally see it hanging if I do push ups. I would love to get a tummy tuck and we could afford it, but hubby is anti-surgery. I am doing the best I can to work on it and will hit him up again when I'm 50. Hope to prove to him that I can keep the weight off, work out and get in shape and it STILL is not any better!!! He doesn't care about it, but I do. :wink:
  • reneecooperman
    reneecooperman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Instead of stopping to eat back exercise calories which will bring you probably under a 1000 a day, which is way too little, why don't you try to use the TDEE -20%/-15% method? -> use this form here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Once you filled out the fields, check below what you should eat to lose. Play around with the exercise-entry to see how much a different light-moderate-heavy exercise make for you.

Thank you so much for this site. Perfect!
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    This is why dieting is so confusing. "Eat back your calories." "You need a 3500 calorie deficit to lose 1 pound." So which is it? Do you need a deficit or do you eat back your calories?

You do need a deficit to lose. The question then becomes how much of a deficit do you set for yourself. One might think that the bigger the deficit, the quicker the weight loss, but my experience is that it doesn't work that way.

I don't like the eat back your calories method of working out because it requires you to have an accurate measurement of how much you burn during exercise, and unless you have a chest strap hear monitor going that's hard to do. I've used the TDEE method for calories which basically builds in an exercise assumption. I'm eating ta 1500.. I'm 5 2 and 142 lbs as of this am, and I'm on my second round of insanity.
  • CorrynneS
    CorrynneS Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hope you don't mind me jumping in on your post but noticed a couple twin moms commenting here. I too have two year old B/G twins and a 5 year old son. To you ladies - any luck getting rid of that twin skin? My stomach is SCARY!

My twin skin has not gone away yet, but I had 12.5 lbs of twin girls in there, then had a 10.5 lb baby boy a year later! Probably didn't help that I was 38 and 39 when I had the kids as well since skin is less elastic at this age.

I notice the skin more the more weight I lose. 7 years later it is getting a "tiny" bit better, or maybe I'm getting used to it? I just have the sag around my belly button and can totally see it hanging if I do push ups. I would love to get a tummy tuck and we could afford it, but hubby is anti-surgery. I am doing the best I can to work on it and will hit him up again when I'm 50. Hope to prove to him that I can keep the weight off, work out and get in shape and it STILL is not any better!!! He doesn't care about it, but I do. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.