Mysterious Weight Gain. Looking for Insight/Advice!

Options
Since 2013, I have gained almost 10 pounds. I don't know why. That is what is driving me bonkers... Not knowing WHY! I have kept a food diary (mfp) every single day for 2 years now, but cannot see a significant change in eating habits within the past few months.

To backtrack for a moment:

I started exercising (for the first time in my life!) in April of 2012 and was hitting up Jillian DVDs around 5-6 times a week. Since late summer of 2012, I stopped working out quite as regularly (I dropped back to around 2-3x week), but ramped it back up to 3-4x week after I noticed the weight gain in 2013. I just can't seem to shed those pounds again, though, and the mystery of it all is really stressful and has drastically lowered my self-esteem.

I eat out a lot, so I realize it is difficult to approximate my caloric intake. I kind of "guesstimate" and try to aim for the higher end just in case. Also, I should note that I've only recently (past couple months) been able to keep my daily intake under 1500 - I was averaging closer to 1600 or a bit more per day for the past few months, and I was eating back my exercise calories (womp womp).

I'm trying to think of anything that has changed since the weight gain... I suppose it all started with the holidays (I imagine that's fairly common). I was also INCREDIBLY stressed at my previous job, which I only left around two months ago, so perhaps that is partially to blame. And, like I mentioned previously, I hadn't been exercising as regularly as I was last summer/early fall. Do you all think those factors, when combined, can realistically account for my gaining these hated 10ish pounds?

I suppose I should also note that I'm not just overly concerned with what the scale says - I can definitely see and FEEL a difference, which is the most distressing part My saddlebags and love handles have noticeably grown and those 10ish pounds added around 2 inches to my waist.

Sorry for the essay, all, but I wanted to be thorough. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Replies

• FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Openining your diary would be healpful so we can take a look at what you're doing. Sounds like you're underestimating calories though.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'd agree about underestimating your caloric intake. Also, you may be retaining water if your foods have a lot of sodium in them (even salads at restaurants can have huge amounts of sodium).
  • xlipservicex
    xlipservicex Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You might not be eating enough either, not eating enough is just as bad as eating too much because your body is scared to burn anything and it just stores and stores. I'd recommend calculating your BMR (base metabolic rate) here: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html and then subtract 500 calories to lose 1lb a week. I was gaining weight like crazy and it turned out I wasn't eating enough, at all.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I eat out a lot, so I realize it is difficult to approximate my caloric intake. I kind of "guesstimate" and try to aim for the higher end just in case.

without seeing your diary I'm gonna put my money on this being the culprit. you just said yourself that you're not 100% accurate in your logging so how do you really know what you're eating? you would be REALLY surprised at restaurant food, even guessing on the higher end of things can be a world of trouble.

try staying out of restaurants for 2 weeks - eat at home beforehand and just have water/a drink if your calories allow for it if you want to go with friends. weigh and measure EVERYTHING. I'm willing to bet hard money you'd see a difference.

eta: ummm I didn't even look before I posted this but are you sure you even have 10 lbs to lose? I mean I would love to have your stomach area, but if you're happier 10 lbs lighter then by all means go for it. what are your current stats?
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Depending on your age, it could be a number of things.
    30 your metabolism starts to slow down.
    late 30s/early 40s--perimenopause (pre-menopause)
    late 40s/to mid 50s--menopause

are you logging EVERYTHING? Every late night snack, possible binges etc.
    Are you eating past 9pm? (According to Wii Fit Plus--foods eaten after 9pm are usually stored as FAT).
    Have you adjusted your goals since last weight loss/gain? (every 10-20lbs loss/gain, a lot of ppl re-adjust their goals).
    Do you do the same exercise routine ALL THE TIME? Your body gets used to routine, so switch it up. Add something new &/or change how many reps/miles/weights you do/use. Keep your body "guessing"--don't let it get used to the same old same old.

Most importantly, DONT let this get you down. Stay positive and keep on trucking.
    If you're honest with your food log and exercise it will come off.
    Keep your chin up. YOU CAN DO IT!!! =D
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Did your measurements change? That's how I'd gauge what's going on.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Are you eating past 9pm? (According to Wii Fit Plus--foods eaten after 9pm are usually stored as FAT).
    Have you adjusted your goals since last weight loss/gain? (every 10-20lbs loss/gain, a lot of ppl re-adjust their goals).
    Do you do the same exercise routine ALL THE TIME? Your body gets used routine, so switch it up. Add something new &/or change how many reps/miles/weights you do/use. Keep your body "guessing"--don't let it get used to the same old same old.

No. When you eat doesn't matter and you're body doesn't care if your routine changes. Sorry, but these just aren't true or helpful.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

Do you do the same exercise routine ALL THE TIME? Your body gets used routine, so switch it up. Add something new &/or change how many reps/miles/weights you do/use. Keep your body "guessing"--don't let it get used to the same old same old.

No. When you eat doesn't matter and you're body doesn't care if your routine changes. Sorry, but these just aren't true or helpful.

oh please wii fit plus is a highly legit source for info
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options

I would think with the amount of work and information put into fitness games (Wii Fit Plus for instance) there must have been some studies done and they would know something about the body and how it works.
    I'm not trying to be snarky, you may be right, but so might the info I have suggested. Not everything works the same for everyone. We don't know how the OPs body works. I'm just putting it out there.
  • MiMarMor
    MiMarMor Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all!

It is quite possible that I am, in fact, simply taking in more calories than I realize (due to eating out). However, that doesn't account for the change in recent months. I have ALWAYS indulged in eating out, so why would it suddenly be catching up with me now...? Like I said, my eating habits haven't changed at all - just my stress level, perhaps, and the frequency with which I was exercising.

Maybe I should mention that I was diagnosed with Celiac last year, and have read that people with that disease, who go gluten-free, often gain weight. One theory is that it has just taken my body a few months to heal from all of the damage gluten caused, and in the recent months I have been packing on some pounds as a result. Thoughts?
  • MiMarMor
    Options
    Did your measurements change? That's how I'd gauge what's going on.

They have changed. Sadly. I have gained about 2 inches in my waist and some in my thighs/hips, as well. Argh.
  • MiMarMor
    Options
    You might not be eating enough either, not eating enough is just as bad as eating too much because your body is scared to burn anything and it just stores and stores. I'd recommend calculating your BMR (base metabolic rate) here: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/bmr-and-daily-calorie-calculator.html and then subtract 500 calories to lose 1lb a week. I was gaining weight like crazy and it turned out I wasn't eating enough, at all.

I wish that were the culprit, haha, but I know that I am definitely eating enough - if not too much :/ I am such a foodie.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Meal timings has ZERO affect on diet, again ZERO!!