Too Fat for Fifteen

Options

Replies

• robinsnest0326
    Options
    I totally agree, we as parents are responsible for our children until they are 18, I'm also a foster parent. Last year I had a 6 year old who was 100 lbs, i'm sorry but I feel very strong that the little girls mom should have been brought up on minimum of neglect charge along with her other charges, 100 for a 6 year old that is silly, you cannot but clothes to fit the little girl, And all she needed was portion size meals and exercise and she started slimming down. I feel its the parents fault who let the kids get large, now there are some kids who get large because of medical reasons, and that is understandable. I felt really bad for this this little girl. my guess is now that she is back with mom, she will be 300lbs by the time she is 11 and 500 by the time she is 18. i hope not.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    That is so sad. These poor kids are being set up for failure for the rest of their lives. I can't imagine starting my life with a huge weight struggle. Not to even mention the major health problems they will face. I adore kids and beleive they all deserve a good shot at living a happy healthy life.
  • robinsnest0326
    Options
    i agree sillygoose1977, parents need to wake up and learn to teach their children right food choices, I was never overweight until i had to take high dose steroids and packed on the weight almost overnight, I was used to being the skinny girl that stayed active, i was 90lbs all through high school, and had 3 children and dropped my pregnancy weight in the hospital, but my steroid weight took me 10years to get off, then finally i got it off. I had the weight off for 2 years then started gaining weight again and didn't know why i was walking our 2 dogs every day and going to the gym almost daily, I went to see my doctor crying. come to find out i had a thyroid problem. so here I am back struggling with my weight. But as for children, they shouldn't need to struggle.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I find your little lecture really rude. I happen to be 16-years-old and fat as hell, but my parents are not child abusers. My weight is MY problem. Maybe it should be considered the parent's fault if the child is very young, but all the kids on Too Fat for 15 are smart enough to realize that they're putting themselves in danger.

I absolutely hate this show. These kids are obviously not learning anything which is why every damn time they go off campus, they make horrible choices. Their diets are way too restrictive as well. 1200 calories and 10 grams of fat? Teens need a lot more calories and fat than adults do, and honestly, I don't know anybody, young or old, who can stick to 10 grams of fat per day. That's ridiculous.

And they obviously don't tell the kids that weight fluctuation is normal. It really pissed me off when they had that "surprise" weigh-in in the middle of the week. I don't remember her name, but one of the students said it was just make her feel bad. I agree 100%.

Have you ever even realized how much most of the students absolutely hate being there? I understand why. It's torture-- being torn away from your parents and starved. Wellspring needs to re-evaluate the situation. It can't be healthy mentally or physically.
    I agree 100%. I had great parents... and a weight problem. I ate good, healthy food, but didn't really exercise enough. Nothing my parents did or didn't do would have changed that fact.

This show is sad, but if you watch, some of these kids are very inspirational. Scotty aside, who in my opinion is just lazy, the rest of them have a chance. The girl that started off at about 515 pounds tried her butt off to walk that mile. If she can do that then she can accomplish anything.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I agree 100%. I had great parents... and a weight problem. I ate good, healthy food, but didn't really exercise enough. Nothing my parents did or didn't do would have changed that fact.

This show is sad, but if you watch, some of these kids are very inspirational. Scotty aside, who in my opinion is just lazy, the rest of them have a chance. The girl that started off at about 515 pounds tried her butt off to walk that mile. If she can do that then she can accomplish anything.

Wait a minute. By definition, a child with a weight problem that isn't brought on by some kind of medical condition IS being neglected (and by child I mean child, not teenager). Now that doesn't mean it's criminal, nor does it make the parents bad people, ignorance, or a difficult life in general can be perfectly valid reasons, but that doesn't justify the behavior. Doctors in the Middle Ages used to "bleed" patients, it wasn't out of malice, it was plain ignorance. they still meant well, but the results are no different. And as I'm sure we all know, in the United States at least, ignorance of a law is not a defense.

whether someone's parents are good people and love the child isn't in question, it's a question of being a responsible adult. If you have the capacity to teach your child something required for good health, and you DON'T teach that child then you are being neglectful. If you give your child good nutrition but they still develop an obesity problem, then it's YOUR JOB to find out what the issue is, and take reasonable steps to remedy the situation, whether that be introducing portion control, exercise, counciling, or some other form of behavioral therapy, it doesn't matter, what matters is making sure you do EVERYTHING for your child that you possibly can. Now I don't know about the rest of the world, but I know that in the US and (I think) Canada, if you can't afford therapy for a child, you can receive free care. And using a single situation cannot be a case, it's to subjective, very few children (or adult children) think they had rotten parents, you're bias, everyone's bias, you must take your own situation out of the picture in order to think objectively about this topic. That's how I feel about it anyway.

Only when all possible (reasonable) avenues are exhausted do I think the parent is free of responsibility. Please note, I recognize the differences between a child with obesity and a Teenager, if the weight was gained during teen years, and the child acknowledges that they overeat or in some other way don't take care of their body, and you do the best you can to find out why to no avail, well that's probably all you can do. Forcing a teen to go into some kind of "fat camp" in what ever form you call it is not, IMHO the best plan of action. Many times you just need to listen to teens, and make sure they know you will always listen and won't judge them.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Ok...I have seen the show, and it really makes me sad for the kids. They are missing out on so much because of their weight issues. They do need to be taught good, responsible nutrition and exercise, and it needs to be replicated at home when they get out of the school. My kids are not allowed TV or any electronics, except music, during the week. If it is nice out, they are out. I am a vegetarian, as are my two oldest kids. I only buy limited "junk" food, and it is usually organic. I buy tons of fruits and veggies. My kids make smoothies (frozen fruit and rice milk usually) for breakfast, and know how to cook (my oldest, not the 5 year old). I am smaller by just "good" luck, and my husband is larger because of "bad" luck. We were both brought up by "hippies" that ate things like wheat grass, museli, carob, soy beans...you get the picture. We were both in sports and athletic, but yet my husband is carrying at least 30lbs of extra weight and I am at the perfect weight for my height. So genetics do play a part in the body shape you have. I am only positive and encouraging to my kids, and if, even after the example I try to set with good, clean eating, one or more of my kids ends up over weight, I will love them and work with them to get them healthier. We, as a country, need to be better educated about nutrition, and good, healthy organic foods need to be made available to everyone at a cheap cost. Crap food is cheap, and when you only have X amount of money to spend on food, you will make the choice to buy a ton of processed food, over a small amount of whole foods. Oh and DON'T call a kid FAT...no matter what their age-it is degrading and only leads to more feelings of self loathing!!! I am also 5'9', and yes I am tall, but to most people that is a compliment, unlike the negative connotations that the word "Fat" has in society!

Rant over :smile:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I think the point of this thread should be (IMHO) not about what a teen feels when they are a teen or older, those emotions may be completely real, and completely valid, but they are secondary to the issue. When a child is 4 or 5 or 6 or even 10, they don't have the capacity to judge for themself what healthy food is without the guidance of an adult in a position to teach them. Unless their parent or guardian has paid or otherwise contracted someone else to teach their child, then it is their responsibility to make sure that child understands how to eat correctly, and to introduce that child to healthy foods. Allowing the child to learn to "hate" certain foods is no excuse. It's your job as a parent to find the healthy foods for them that they can eat, whether that be through gradual introduction, cajoling, or even through a heavy hand (like almost EVERY parent did before the last decade, I certainly remember mom saying "eat your vegetables or no TV for you tonight." I ate them!), there's a way to do it. Anything else is neglect on one level or another, "giving in" is not an option, EVER.

Once a child is 15 or 16 and can earn their own money, then it comes down to how they were brought up to that point. A child that has been correctly taught the value of food may still make the occasional bad choice, and in some cases, other emotional trauma may still trigger food as a defense mechanism, but we do the best we can as adults. I don't judge teens for being overweight, nor do I judge their parents, not without the full facts. I DO however, privately judge the parents of young children who are obese, that's a flaw, and I shouldn't without the full story, and I recognize this as a bad trait. But then I realize that there are flaws with every human emotion, and sometimes we must just recognize them, thus I know that while I shouldn't judge every parent of an obese child (young child), I know that in 90 to 95% of the cases, my judgement will be correct, and while I feel bad for the 5 or 10 % of parents I mistakenly condemn as "bad", I realize that maybe, if something is done, the other 90% of those children won't grow up with emotional issues that take years to resolve, and sometimes physical problems that can cause them to live unhealthy, unproductive, and shorter lives.

that's my take on the situation.

And yeah, when I see a mom in the grocery store with an obese child and I see pop tarts, a case of regular coke, Mac and Cheese boxes, and Sugar Smacks in their cart, it does make me angry a little inside. I'm sorry, that's just me. I don't like it, and there's nothing I can do to change that.

Banks, as usual, said it perfectly.

You know that a child can be taken from their parents if they let them get too fat? So the law agrees that allowing your child to become dangerously obese IS abuse.

The children in my classroom are treated with respect and dignity. They are happy and healthy kids who have an hour of PE every day. Even if there were overweight kids in my class, speaking to them about that (in any manner) would be out of line. It is my job to teach them to read, write, calculate math problem, understand history and science. All the other stuff, such as religion, politics, health, morality, finances....those are the PARENT"S job. IMHO as always.....................
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    If my kids don't go to school I am held responsible, If my kids don't eat and are filthy I am held responsible, If my child is underweight the schools won't hesitate to counsel you or report you to child services.. now why if a child is beyond overweight the parents aren't responsible? Something is wrong with that picture.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    that's just it...they are held responsible. All the debate about whether it is abuse or not is like debating gravity. You can argue all you like, but it's still true. If CPS discovers that a child has become dangerously obese in a parent's care, they can (and they have) taken that child away and given them to the other parent, or even foster care.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents... I wasn't taught how to eat right as a kid beacuse it didn't ''matter." I could eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Literally 3 and 4 servings at a meal and 5 or 6 snacks thru the day - no matter what I ate I didn't gain weight. I was TINY growing up and keeping me full was my parents main focus, teaching me portion control wasn't an issue. As a result, when I grew up & my metabolism slowed, I packed on a ton of weight. So, in my case, my weight gain as a teen was in no way their fault.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Just my 2 cents... I wasn't taught how to eat right as a kid beacuse it didn't ''matter." I could eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted. Literally 3 and 4 servings at a meal and 5 or 6 snacks thru the day - no matter what I ate I didn't gain weight. I was TINY growing up and keeping me full was my parents main focus, teaching me portion control wasn't an issue. As a result, when I grew up & my metabolism slowed, I packed on a ton of weight. So, in my case, my weight gain as a teen was in no way their fault.

I disagree. Because your parents didn't teach it, you grew up without the knowledge of how to eat correctly, a direct result of not knowing was a reason why you gained weight.

Ask yourself this, if your parents DID teach you how to eat correctly when younger, and assuming you gained the knowledge, do you still think you would have become overweight later? Maybe, or maybe not, that's tough to know for sure as maybe there were outside factors that we (and maybe even you) were unaware of, but not having that information, you were in a less desirable position because you didn't even know what you were doing wrong, at best you probably had a vague idea that you weren't eating right, but that's not the same as understanding nutrition.

Make no mistake, I'm not relieving someone of their own responsibility to learn about nutrition, but as we obviously can see as a country, our nutrition is atrocious, and that comes from the parents first. Yes, big food puts out a glut of "fast food" and nasty stuff, but we, the consumers buy it, and we, the parents, give it to our children when there are other options available.
  • Brat3073
    Options
    this all hits tooc lose to home for me. I am worried sick about my step daughter. She is 7 years old and already weighs 115 pounds. The kids at school make fun of her and call her names. I feel so bad for her. We get her 2 weekends a month and thats just not enough time to teach her to make right choices when shes not here. when shes with us, we all are active....walking, hiking, swimming.....etc. She eats good here.....meat, startch and lots of veggies for dinner. But when she goes home it all falls apart! all she does is either sit in her room or in front of the television. She told me last weekend that her mom packed her a peanut butter sandwich for her lunch....ok, so thats not bad at all....all kids eat that! but the problem was the honey bun, pack of cookies and sugery snack that was packed with it! And of course seh was sllowed to buy 3 choco milks at school to go with it! And now her mom wonders why she so overweight. She dropped her off one morning over the summer and told me she had a hotdog and 2 donuts for breakfast! What the world is this woman thinking?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    You can try to show your kids healthy eating habits at a young age. However, you must give them some opportunites to splurge, or allow them the choice to do so, or they could have issues in the future. My husband grew up with 6 siblings, and they were all very skinny and healthy growing up. However, due to the fact that his parents were not able to afford sweets, soda, chips, etc... all of the children have grown up to have weight issues as they became addicted to those items that were withheld from them.

Just making sure the food on the table and provided to your children is healthy isn't enough. You need to help guide their choices, and allow them to learn that sometimes the stuff that's good for you tastes better and makes you feel better than the stuff that's not so good for you. I limit the amount of "processed" foods that my kids get, and there are many opportunities where I offer them soda and they choose milk or juice, or even water! I've even had people shocked when they see the 3 of us (my kids and myself) share an order of fries from Mc Donald's and not even finish them. That, and the fact that we still have candy from past year's parades and Easter in our cupboards or on our counter. Even when they see the temptation, my boys are making healthy choices - and they are only 3 & 5! It's not hard! I am not even sure how I've done it, but it's working! And if for some reason it stopped working, I would not hesitate to put my kids on a diet.

There are too many parents out there who enable their kids. Yes, I hate telling my 5 year old that he can't have something to eat every time he tells me he's hungry - but if I fed him every time he said he was hungry he'd be eating 24/7! My pediatrician even told me that he's on the "high" side of the growth chart and to limit his food AND YOU CAN STILL SEE HIS RIBS! I don't know how any parent can let their child become obese and not realize it. There are kids in my son's kindergarten class who are quite large, but the parent(s) is not.

Yes, sometimes eating healthy is a little more expensive. However, if you are eating proper portion sizes instead of what society shows us are correct portion sizes, it really isn't that much more expensive.

I'd mostly agree with this logic. And I'm also not on the "never give them treats" kick. I don't have any problem at all with giving kids an ice cream or a couple of cookies a few days every week, as long as A) the portions are reasonable. B) they KNOW it's a treat and not a good choice for them regularly and C) the treat is given as part of the understanding that healthy nutrition ALLOWS them to have the occasional snack, not precludes it.

See where I went with that? Turn it on it's head for a child. Explain to them that the more they exercise and the better they eat in general, the more they will be able to snacks (physically) without it being an issue. Maybe dumb down the terms a bit until they are old enough to get it logically, but its 6 of 1 in that sense.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    this all hits tooc lose to home for me. I am worried sick about my step daughter. She is 7 years old and already weighs 115 pounds. The kids at school make fun of her and call her names. I feel so bad for her. We get her 2 weekends a month and thats just not enough time to teach her to make right choices when shes not here. when shes with us, we all are active....walking, hiking, swimming.....etc. She eats good here.....meat, startch and lots of veggies for dinner. But when she goes home it all falls apart! all she does is either sit in her room or in front of the television. She told me last weekend that her mom packed her a peanut butter sandwich for her lunch....ok, so thats not bad at all....all kids eat that! but the problem was the honey bun, pack of cookies and sugery snack that was packed with it! And of course seh was sllowed to buy 3 choco milks at school to go with it! And now her mom wonders why she so overweight. She dropped her off one morning over the summer and told me she had a hotdog and 2 donuts for breakfast! What the world is this woman thinking?

That's a tough situation. Are you on friendly terms with her mother? Would it be a nightmare to express concern (gently I would imagine). You do the best you can, maybe, if you explain it well enough, she'll start asking her mom for better foods. That's all you can do, I don't know that it's to the point where you could claim foul to any authorities, but it's a tough situation for you.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    That's the other thing, what's with all the flavored milk these days? Am I the only one who remembers my mom ALLOWING me to mix in chocolate syrup once or twice a week as a treat? When did chocolate or strawberry milk become acceptable as a lunch food in our public schools? What A$$H0le made that ok? I mean, even in the 70's when I was growing up, we knew that you shouldn't drink chocolate milk every day.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Because your parents didn't teach it, you grew up without the knowledge of how to eat correctly, a direct result of not knowing was a reason why you gained weight.

Ask yourself this, if your parents DID teach you how to eat correctly when younger, and assuming you gained the knowledge, do you still think you would have become overweight later? Maybe, or maybe not, that's tough to know for sure as maybe there were outside factors that we (and maybe even you) were unaware of, but not having that information, you were in a less desirable position because you didn't even know what you were doing wrong, at best you probably had a vague idea that you weren't eating right, but that's not the same as understanding nutrition.

Make no mistake, I'm not relieving someone of their own responsibility to learn about nutrition, but as we obviously can see as a country, our nutrition is atrocious, and that comes from the parents first. Yes, big food puts out a glut of "fast food" and nasty stuff, but we, the consumers buy it, and we, the parents, give it to our children when there are other options available.

What I was eating was healthy, mine was directly related to portion control. I wasn't eating fast food & pop 24/7. I'm just saying in my case, teaching me to eat the correct portions would have left me a starved child, literally. Now, had they taken me to fast food places several times a day, and let me drink juice/chocolate milk/pop & eat chips & cookies for snacks then yes, I'd agree it could have been prevented. They probably should have stepped in once I did become a teen & started to gain weight, that I can hold them accountable for, but when I was a child? I just don't see it.

My three kids are the same way, they are all underweight, nothing medically 'wrong' with them. The only thing I can really see doing different than my parents is keeping on top of the issue when they do become teens. *shrug*

And no, you're not alone, we rarely got flavored milk...I much prefer plain, white milk.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    That's the other thing, what's with all the flavored milk these days? Am I the only one who remembers my mom ALLOWING me to mix in chocolate syrup once or twice a week as a treat? When did chocolate or strawberry milk become acceptable as a lunch food in our public schools? What A$$H0le made that ok? I mean, even in the 70's when I was growing up, we knew that you shouldn't drink chocolate milk every day.

Totally agree! When I was in school we only had chocolate milk on fridays. And when my mom let me have hersheys in milk I called it dessert. The one good thing I will say is that now water is also an option with school lunches.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options

Totally agree! When I was in school we only had chocolate milk on fridays. And when my mom let me have hersheys in milk I called it dessert. The one good thing I will say is that now water is also an option with school lunches.

Amazing that you remember that. I only remember Cactus Cooler Soda in high school and how I needed to stop drinking it.