The Men Who Made us Thin

Options
Hi,

I thought I'd let you all know about this programme "The Men Who Made us Thin". It's really interesting, also "The Men Who Made us Fat".

The former's latest episode discusses how exercise doesn't really help you lose weight technically, but the side effects such as a better mood, an interest in healthy eating and feeling slimmer through toning are the main contributors. Obviously it has health benefits, but they're saying it won't contribute to your weight loss which I've found very interesting and slightly shocking. It is literally eating less than your TDEE.

It stemmed from a scientist noticing a correlation between those who are slimmer doing exercise, when he didn't consider that those who are slimmer are more able and comfortable to do sports and exercise, while those who are larger didn't want to partake in sport.

I recommend a watch, it's on BBC2 and iplayer.

Please note, this is not me saying that exercise doesn't help, but the programme. I just wanted to raise awareness of the research carried out for the programme.

Replies

• nads1012
    nads1012 Posts: 55
    Options
    I've watched it last night. Thought it was total nonsense. They forgot to use common sense when they made that programme. eg. 'After you go running, you will be really hungry and eats LOADS, so there's no point in running.' Basically saying don't bother going to the gym and taking fitness classes.
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I thought that too, as well as when you do exercise you do nothing else that day.

I think it must also assume that you're going to reach your maximum amount of energy expenditure every day, where as if you're like me and sit at a desk all day you're obviously aren't going to use the same amount of energy as at the weekend when you're up and about doing things.
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    MMMM! I will admit I fell asleep early on...and that the presenter is irritating... but the bit I remember made sense .... must watch the rest to see if/where it derailed itself :)
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I didn't see the show but I do feel that diet has a bigger impact on weight loss then exercise and plays a much bigger role in effecting calories out then most people realize.

I did see "The Men Who Made Us Fat" and I agree with most about how the general dietary guidelines and how food suppliers have influenced what the mainstream population believes is healthy. I don't agree so much with the non-accountability part of it but it does shine a pretty bright light on the multiple factors that are contributing to the huge spike in obesity that really only started 30+ years ago.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    The thing I found enlightening about both series was the 'truths' that governments get behind that are nothing of the sort.

I think this is where the non accountability bit comes in. We are told, 100% authoritatively that something is so... and it simply is not! In this case the 30 minutes a day 5 days a week exercise recommendations are now debunked - if you are doing it for weight loss that is! It is exactly the same for the 5 a Day tut - no science behind that at all! Just a bright idea that has been turned into a nutritional imperative!

Exercise will never make you lose weight, counter intuitive as that is (also with the caveat, 'in a normal lifestyle'). But it is vital for health and helps maintain weight loss.

But as I said, I fell asleep... so I have no idea where this episode went after the first 10 minutes :(
  • Baranwyn
    Options
    I watched the programme and I think the point they were making when they said that exercise doesn't work when losing weight is that exercise ALONE won't make much difference, this is because, as they said in the program, we burn most of our calories from just living our lives, doing a bit of extra exercise doesn't make much of a contribution, maybe enough to burn off one snack, but if you are not changing your diet and constantly overeating, then exercise probably won't make any difference. Also, they did say several times in the program that if you are doing loads of intensive exercise, like an hour a day every day, then of course it will make a difference, but most of us don't have the time in their schedules for that amount (the spinning coach said it at the beginning then the host repeated it later on in the program).

I have been enjoying both these programs for the past couple of weeks. It makes me feel better about the slowness of my weight loss knowing that we're designed to absorb and store fat extremely efficiently, so it is always going to be an uphill struggle to lose weight and really, we should all be proud of any weight loss we achieve in the face of that.
  • nads1012
    nads1012 Posts: 55
    Options
    I watched the programme and I think the point they were making when they said that exercise doesn't work when losing weight is that exercise ALONE won't make much difference, this is because, as they said in the program, we burn most of our calories from just living our lives, doing a bit of extra exercise doesn't make much of a contribution, maybe enough to burn off one snack, but if you are not changing your diet and constantly overeating, then exercise probably won't make any difference. Also, they did say several times in the program that if you are doing loads of intensive exercise, like an hour a day every day, then of course it will make a difference, but most of us don't have the time in their schedules for that amount (the spinning coach said it at the beginning then the host repeated it later on in the program).

That's what they should have been saying, give people a bit of explanation, but they didn't. And then oh diet pills don't work, and have loads of side effects, who would've thought.

And then the little Englishman went to America criticising fast food and soda pop companies for advertising at the Olympics. You know it makes you fat, don't buy it if you don't like it.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options

And then the little Englishman went to America criticising fast food and soda pop companies for advertising at the Olympics. You know it makes you fat, don't buy it if you don't like it.

That's the part where he always loses me. Fast food companies are in the business to sell food. As much as people want to rave about wanting healthy options they don't show it with their dollars. The only pressure regarding fast food that I support is for better quality and minimized processing. There was a reason for a lot of the processing practices that food companies use back when distribution was much harder. Now that so many of these big companies have established distribution networks a lot of the processing that is done isn't really necessary.

When it comes to sit down restaurants I kind of see it as a positive thing when I hear that they run out of a certain item. That to me tends to show me that they don't keep a massive stockpile of it and it is pretty fresh when they do have it.