How do you get a workout routine

Options
I was trying to do the Jillian Michael's 30 DS DVD but it is too hard on my body. I think I need to build up to be able to do that. There is a groupon out for 3 months membership for 35 bucks but I don't really know how to go about making a workout routine. I need to lose 70lbs. How did you pick your workout routine?

There are a few google apps I was thinking of using but I wasn't sure if that is the best route. Any advice would be great :)

Replies

• tfpdunn
    tfpdunn Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just do the 30DS in as modified format as possible. If you have to do only half of the move, then do it but make sure you're pushing yourself. It is a great workout to start with and you'll see fantastic results.

Please don't get discouraged, and just keep plugging away w/ 30DS...you'll be glad you did!
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I can't give you the exact advice because I recommend weight training, but what II can say is

Losing weight does NOT mean spending money. Don't pay for anything, please. You can do it without paying for a thing.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I started doing rockin body..im not perfect at ..but I do my best..i try to do it by the schedule given in the workout packet..rest days sundays....walking does wonders as well ...
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, I don't have a particular routine. I just try to achieve 30 minutes of exercise in most days of the week. I try to hit the gym 2-3 days a week and do a combination of elliptical, bike, and/or treadmill. Otherwise I'll do some yoga, Pilates, walking, swimming, or bike riding in. And sometimes it may be something creative like going to the park with my daughter or running around in the yard.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You have a few options.

1. Pick a cookie cutter program like Starting Strength, Greyskull, 5/3/1, etc.
    These are good because they're already set up, all you have to do is follow the program and possibly do a little math to calculate percentages.

2. Hire a personal trainer
    This is good because you have someone tailoring a program to your specific goals and needs.

3. Make your own program
    I wouldn't recommend this until you know how/what your body responds to and how to properly design a program.
  • Meschaa
    Meschaa Posts: 3
    Options
    I've been going to the same gym for three years and for the last two years I basically focused on cardio because that's what I knew. I started following fitness inspiration sites on facebook and tumblr and it got me interested in lifting and body weight exercises, so I just started googling and youtubing everything and anything I could find to do on my own. Once I got used to doing body weight exercises and exercises with smaller weights, it gave me the confidence to tackle weight machines (and the weights area of my gym in general) and now I'm in a routine I look forward to all day. My friend and I have been focusing on lifting over cardio this year and she's lost 25 lbs and I've lost 7 - her goal was to lose weight, mine was to get stronger and leaner - Pumps and Iron is a good body weight blog to follow! Same with SarahFit!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Well they aren't assigned or rationed out...

Decide what your goals are, because this determines what you should focus on. Do you want to be a runner? Cardio and minimal strength training. A powerlifter? Lots of strength training and some cardio. Do you just want to look amazing? A healthy mix of strength training and cardio.

As far as which strength training and cardio programs to choose, that is personal taste. If you're having trouble with your DVD, start walking daily and eventually some light jogging. Continue doing the first workout on the DVD until you're able to complete it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You have a few options.

1. Pick a cookie cutter program like Starting Strength, Greyskull, 5/3/1, etc.
    These are good because they're already set up, all you have to do is follow the program and possibly do a little math to calculate percentages.

2. Hire a personal trainer
    This is good because you have someone tailoring a program to your specific goals and needs.

3. Make your own program
    I wouldn't recommend this until you know how/what your body responds to and how to properly design a program.

Agreed.

Also, losing weight is based on diet, not exercise. Use your diet to control your weight. Do cardio for the cardiovascular benefits or to get faster. Lift to get stronger and change the way you look. Stretch to improve flexiblity, mobility, and prevent injuries.

So with that said, design your diet and workout routine based no your goals.
  • wifeoferp
    wifeoferp Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I alternate two Jillian Michaels DVDs, and yes, they are tough. I cannot keep up at 100% for the whole time I am doing the videos. That said, I just started working out a week and a half ago, after a year hiatus, and I am already getting stronger and have more endurance than when I first started. I think it is a matter of just working up to the point where you can keep up, and then doing the workout as recorded. In the mean time, just push yourself to your own level.

I did just see on You Tube that there are some Biggest Loser 30 Day Jump Start videos. I haven't done them, but they look like they start out fairly low key. Those might be a good starting place. Or some people have had good success with the C25K program, if you think you might enjoy running.

Good luck!
  • remimarie
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you're having physical problems. I know how challenging that can be. But for me, we have 2 Curves locations here in San Francisco. I'm not sure if you know what that is. But I highly recommend it. It's an all women's gym that focuses on strength training and cardio, along with following a weekly meal plan as well as meeting with a coach. I have received much success and progression with my weight loss over the past 2.5 months.

If you do not want to spend a lot of money on gyms and stuff, I would suggest investing in good workout videos (youtube, is a great place to start) that offers alternatives for light, moderate and high impact workouts. Also, some light dumbbells and a jump rope. And of course, the easiest and cheapest way to exercise is to climb up and down stairs, walk/jog/run in your neighborhood or park and to eat sensibly.

Hope this helps, good luck!!
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in trying some other workout video routines for free, check out your local library. I borrowed a bajillion or so videos til I found the ones I wanted and then started watching their pricing on Amazon until they were at an inexpensive level I was willing to pay. (you can use camelcamelcamel.com for automagic Amazon price watching, which is free and pretty easy to set up, i think.) Some libraries even let you do extended loans on some items, so you may even be able to get a video for a month or longer, which would certainly help and should be free.

Definitely check out YouTube as well. There's a serious amount of workout videos for all levels that you'll be able to use for free. I haven't gone this route, so i can't recommend certain channels, but I'd bet someone will pipe in here soon enough with more info.

I would also look into http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups - many of the groups are shorter term, but have specific workouts/challenges in mind, so they might give you at least a vague (if not quite specific) plan.

Anyways, though, you really don't need videos, equipment, etc., but find what works for you. If that means having a plan set by someone else, then do that - just don't think you need to spend a bunch of cash to get there.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It really all depends on what you want and how you want to go about it. Do you want to bulk or heavy lift, go for endurance sports, or are you just wanting to burn fat and get some health benefit from it?

You will likely end up getting a number of responses with all kinds of suggestions, here's mine.

If you want to join a gym, first make sure you can go with a month by month option and not sign a year contract. Do this because you never know what may come up in the next few months.

Most gyms will offer a personal trainer as part of the signup process. You usually get access to the trainer once or twice for free. Do this so you can get a baseline idea and can also go into more detail with a professional about your goals, abilities, and other concerns (e.g. bad knees). Then follow what the trainer recommends at least at first.

If you don't want to go the gym route then really the sky is the limit and your goals are going to come into play tremendously. There is Couch to 5k (C25K), Strong Lift 5x5, New Rules for Lifting for Women, thousands upon thousands of workout DVD's, and heaven knows what else.

The only real recommendation I can offer is no matter what approach you take do not spend a lot of money on anything at first. If there is a monthly charge, make sure you can get out without a fuss, and in the name of all things holy find something you LIKE that you can do repeatedly without getting bored of it. Come up with a plan, even if its just walking every night, add in some increases to the plan (walk half a mile this week, 3/4 mile next week, etc.) and stick with it. Don't push yourself too hard, don't give up, and good luck!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Just move. Start with walking. Build up a good base, go from there. Get in some resistance training be it free weights or bodyweight stuff. You don't have to start some "program" or go balls to the wall first day out. Walking and getting in some squats and wall push-ups is a fine place to start.