Any Serious Cooks Who Have Lost Weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    Google blogger.com and then "cookin with evilone" NOT "cooking" as that will give you a different blog.

I dont use anything low-cal, (well, except the general low-cal cheese thats the food lion or kroger brand thats the cheapest on the shelf) Nothing fat free.. things of that nature. I dont use anything hard to get either.

Basically, i try to just make things "better" and CHEAP too! NOW, my blog can still be seen, but i need to make a new one. :( It got hacked last year & i havent had time to make a new one because my mom fell & i have spent all of my extra time taking care of her... however there are several in there that are useful & maybe you will like! They are all portion controlled also!

Hope you enjoy them!
  • fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I find the passion for cooking works well for me at home - always want to try new things and have the tools (digital scale) to make it work for me. The problem for me is wanting to try every new restaurant and tasting menu my eyes behold...but the thread is about cooking, so I won't dwell on my issues outside my own kitchen.

Great tips in here, thanks for starting the thread!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    I love good food and am an avid amateur cook. Dinner party meals are easily 800 cals before counting wine. I make room for them by doing enormous cardio workouts beforehand. Besides special social events, I agree that being a keen cook probably helps with day to day weight management. Good luck, happy cooking and any cooks should feel free to friend me.
  • KahalaGal
    KahalaGal Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love cooking and use it to my advantage to prepare healthier versions.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    for sure!
    hubs and I love to cook,,
    we just have to pay closer attention to things now
    anyone can add me,
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like to cook and consider myself a foodie. I count calories and I have never had a problem. If I make something that is a rich and fattening, I will have a small portion and will usually pair it with a lot of vegetables. I pretty much only make everything from scratch since I'm in school full time. I almost never eat fast food or take out. But I count calories everyday and even if I don't log them, I will write it on a piece of paper. I eat anything that I want and nothing is off limits. I just made blackberry crisp this weekend and homemade bread.
  • kepete
    kepete Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Very serious baker ... I make it work. Lost 100+ almost two years ago!
  • chainone
    chainone Posts: 42
    Options
    My partner lost a ridiculous amount of weight...while in culinary school.
    I'm a ridiculous foodie as well (didn't have the dosh for said culinary school) and we both see it as a challenge and a necessity.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    we have changed a lot of things we cook with because of my husband's diet, but I also map out my recipes and make sure I'm putting the correct serving size in, and also measuring portions so that I'm getting a real picture of how many calories I"m consuming. We cook nightly, most dinners requiring prep work, a lot goes into it and I love it. I would never be able to stick to any diet that I couldn't cook for my family.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Cook the way you normally do, and work out the calorie counts for your recipes (I assume you are using a digital kitchen scale and the Recipes function in the food section of MFP). Then you can make judgments about what is worth using in a recipe and what isn't. Oils, mayo, and beef are the first things to go for me when I am working with a small calorie budget. Spices go up because, well, flavor--and they add micronutrients such as potassium and vitamins, which I like to keep an eye on. Fiber-rich foods and bulky veggies go up.

And of course weigh your portions once you have a prepared recipe.

Anyway, if you know how to cook, cutting calories should be easy. It's the people who are used to eating fast food and things with barcodes that I feel sorry for, to be honest :)
  • Sprout23
    Options
    I find that keeping up my exercise routine and diligently logging my food intake is the key for me. I've been doing triathlons, half-marathons, and century bike rides, so the training schedule is pretty rigorous. I realize not everyone has the time or the patience to do that kind of training. However, I know myself well enough to know that I have to indulge my food cravings sometimes, and I can't completely stop eating some foods that I love that are bad for me...that just sets me up for failure, really. So I just keep burning more calories than I take in, and I cook whatever I feel like eating -- as I've lost weight and ramped up my physical activity, I find my body craves different foods. My diet has naturally moved towards greater balance, with an emphasis on lean protein, fruits and vegetables.

Good luck!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    My mom's co-worker once said, "If it's not amazing, it's not going in my mouth, because the calories need to be worth it."

That totally works with a foodie / gourmand / gourmet version of MFP, I think.

This ^^^^^^ My new motto, thanks!

I also like " I never eat at McDonalds in case I get run over by a bus, I don't want that to be my last meal" :laugh:

I am a serious foodie, I love to travel, eat, and drink good wines. I also love to cook and have been doing so since I was 4 yrs. old.
    I am a yoyoer, I can gain weight but I have also been able to drop it. I just never did tracking, I am loving MFP because with tracking my portion/cals, I think I can enjoyably take off the weight and keep from regaining it. I just always resisted tracking wanting to eat what I wanted when I wanted. Thus the yoyoing and the miracle is I am not morbidly obese all the time. :devil:

I read recipes for ideas, my husband swears he has not seen me follow one to the letter in all our years together. Probably true, I cut back on this, add that, and might even roast something that is supposed to be sauted or vis versa. I love books by Michael Ruhlman, Julia Childs, Rick Bayless, Madhur Jaffrey, and The Escoffier Cookbook is my idea of a fun read. I'm not a fan of the Food Network, I do like most of the PBS chefs. I also love the blogs that are now available for foodies. I have recently decided to restrict wheat, because it causes my joints to hurt when I eat too much of it, so the gluten free blogs have been very helpful to give me new ideas. There are some good blogs for every eating type, style, ethnicity, etc.

I keep a kitchen garden, herbs, shallots, and garlic so I have lots of flavors to play around with, makes it so much easier and cheaper to get creative.
  • dejamos
    dejamos Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love to cook; in fact I have had a food blog for the past 7 years: http://www.cookingwithoutanet.com/.

Like most who have responded, I have found that cooking my own food has made it easier for me to lose weight. But, the changes I have made in my cooking over the years have had more to do with health than weight (although they are inter-related), and I don't necessarily use less butter, oil or other ingredients. The main difference is that now I measure everything so I know exactly how many calories are in a portion of something I have made. I have found that if I pay attention to macros and calories in/calories out I am able to lose weight no matter what I cook or eat. Portion control and mindful eating have been the biggest factors for my success. That and doing some kind of exercise for at least 30 minutes a day every day.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't consider myself a serious cook, though I do enjoy cooking and expanding my cooking knowledge. I like to try at least one new recipe each week.

Living a healthy lifestyle is what got me in the kitchen in the first place. At the time I was eating a lot of Lean Cuisines and the like, and I was always frustrated by the small amounts of vegetables or the low quality of the ingredients, so I decided to start making my own.

The recipe builder on this site is a really fantastic tool for the home cook! Between that, my digital food scale, and the bar code scanner on my phone, figuring the nutritional info for a given dish I create is pretty simple.
  • ktlinn4
    ktlinn4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been in foodservice for just over half my life now. I picked up awesome cooking skills 10 years ago...and by all accounts I'm pretty good! :wink: I just started eating very healthy 3 weeks ago and have enjoyed cooking just as much, if not more than I used too!! It's really awesome to take a your first bite into an all veggie Eggplant Parmesan and be like...wait...there's only 400 calories in this whole serving?!? The best part about it is that if you use healthy ingredients, you pretty much can bet the out come is healthy too!
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    Serious foodie as well as frequent hostess to small and large dinner parties, open houses, etc. I refuse to use non-fat or skim anything, but I weigh the cheese, portion everything out, and account for the calories accordingly. The best thing I am doing now is buying cookbooks with delicious healthy recipes in them from people who also refuse to use inferior products. The only way I would make a turkey meatloaf is if I roasted a heritage bird and ground the leftovers myself. I have found enough similar minded cooks willing to share recipes out there that I am fulfilled. I have made a few recipes featuring a lot of heavy cream and butter that I used to adore, but now am not as in love with; a pasta w/simple grated zucchini and a touch of real butter, great parmesan, garlic and chili flakes is more enjoyable than a homemade alfredo made from a pound of butter and a pound of parmesan. I still want roasted veal marrow bones as my last meal, w/a bit of the best baguette on the planet, but tastes do evolve and the body sort of rejects previous loves!
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm the chief cook and bottle-washer in the Doomspark household. And while I'm no paragon of weight-loss, I've shed 20+ lbs, So it can be done.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I like to cook and am not that fat anymore