Elliptical Help Please!

Options
I'm new to my elliptical and need some encouragement. I get really tired after even 5 minutes on it. Does anyone have suggestions on how to start with this machine so it does not become my enemy??? Many thanks - Gini:ohwell:

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts somewhere! I started out sucking wind with rubber legs after 2 minutes.

There's nothing wrong with 5 minutes. When 5 minutes becomes easier, increase the resistance,or the incline,or your distance,or your speed ... or some combination of all of these.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    try something else??

try rowing... or swimming or zumba.

otherwise- slow down and just relax- put on your favorite jam... and don't worry about getting tired- that's kind the point.

I spin- and to be honest- the first 5 minutes are complete and utter torture for me- I feel like I'm NEVER going to make it- but as long as I break that 5 minute threshhold- I'm fine. Which often means- just WARM UP- nice and easy... put a towel over the monitor.. starting at the seconds go by is AWFUL.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Go 5 minutes, then slow way down for a few minutes, then do a few minutes again at a faster pace. then slow down again. repeat for about 15 minutes. next week 20 minutes. week after, 30 minutes...
  • Goldglintedwater
    Options
    I must agree with the others! When I burned out and gained 20 pounds back that I had lost I started uber slow! I was not looking at anyone except me and my goal. My goal as yours is, is to get stronger. Only time and effort will provide the strength necessary and that formula has and always will work. I started jogging lightly for 10-20 minutes only 2 times a week on a treadmill; and after the third week I added another day, and after 2 more weeks I added 10 minutes, and then I was at about 30 minutes for treadmill and just messed with the hills to boost my speed....you see minutes can really add to your routine and goes along way! and if you just focus on good music then dont look at the time but just sway to the beat of the tempo! :) Have fun, what ever YOU can do to add fun and get your mind off to pass time...do it and you I hope you will pull through it:)

Side note if your diet is controlled then you should have the energy and momentum you need. If not you have to focus on the types of foods your body needs to function...if all else fails try some green tea for a healthy alternative for energy. It works for a lot of us who need that extra go!
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I find elliptical workouts to be excruciating if I don't maximally distract myself. If I can help it, I never step onto an elliptical without music blaring in my headphones and a good book in my hand. A good tune can ensure I keep my pace up, a good book keeps me distracted and prevents me from watching the seconds/hundredths of a mile tick by, and holding my body steady enough to read comfortably means I have to sink more weight down into my legs and use some of my stabilizing muscles.

Also, if you have choices as to the style of elliptical, try them all. I find that I have strong preferences for some machines over others!
  • Scampydoo2
    Scampydoo2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all for your responses! At almost 63 and not doing any exercise for a number of years and trying to get back is an amazing journey. I used to be so in shape - now I'm 24 pounds overweight. I can walk like the wind but this machine tires me out like mad even after a few minutes. I haven't exercised in several years because of a heart problem. It's gone now and I need to lose this weight because my life in my senior years needs to be of quality. I dial my Brisa to 1 and it really tries my whole body. The best I've got right now is 1/2 mile on one and I am rubbered legged!

Again, thanks for the info. Very much appreciated! Gini :happy:
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I can do over an hour on the elliptical NOW. when I started I could barely last two minutes. build up slowly, and ice you get the gang of the movement, start paying attention to resistance levels and speed ( I'm 53btw, and I prefer the elliptical to the treadmill)
  • MzYoga
    MzYoga Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi, Everybody starts out somewhere. When I started the elliptical, it was for about ten minutes. Now i can do 45. But I still don't use much resistance, even though many around me seem to go faster and use more resistance. It can take a while to get use to this machine, but it does offer a good cardiovascular reward.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical over the treadmill. The treadmill seems to hurt my knees. I would just take it slow and find something to distract you. I have been reading books on my Kindle lately. I will only let myself read when I am on the elliptical - my motivator. I use to always listen to some fast tunes to help.
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I echo what most of the others have stated. When I first started the elliptical, I hopped off of it after 2 minutes (if THAT long) because it was "too hard" for me. Now I can do it for 45 minutes (as long as I have my music blaring) and its actually my exercise of choice. Stick with it, start out slow, and increase your time in small increments. It'll get easier the more you do it :smile: .
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals KILL me. My heart rate goes insane after about three minutes, yeesh. I agree with others that 5 minutes is better than nothing. And I agree with others who say perhaps trying something else while you build up your endurance might work, too. I prefer the treadmill - I can sustain a longer workout that doesn't leave my ribcage feeling like an alien is about to burst through it.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    It takes awhile, I started on with intervals

crossramp 4, resistance 1 for 4 minutes and then CR 10, RES 6 for 4 minutes, total of 32 minutes

after a few months I now do it at CR 4, RES 14 and CR 10, RES 16 for the same times.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Go 5 minutes, then slow way down for a few minutes, then do a few minutes again at a faster pace. then slow down again. repeat for about 15 minutes. next week 20 minutes. week after, 30 minutes...

This is good advice. It takes awhile to get used to. The first time I went on (not that long ago) I could only do 5 minutes. Now I am up to 30 minutes per session.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm new to my elliptical and need some encouragement. I get really tired after even 5 minutes on it. Does anyone have suggestions on how to start with this machine so it does not become my enemy??? Many thanks - Gini:ohwell:
    I was in decent shape the first time I ever got on one of those and it was TOUGH! I lasted about five minutes, too.

Just keep at it. I can go for hours now.
  • jasoncbackus
    jasoncbackus Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When I first did the elliptical, I could only do about 5 minutes as well. Now I do up to an hour or so. It takes some adjusting.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    keep at it and be patient
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    when i started on the elliptical in january i thought i would pass out after 3 min, i am now up to 40 min a day and loving it!! it is what has helped me lose 81 lbs this year!
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    keep building up your time and maybe watch tv/listen to music and just do it. I struggled with 10mins on my stationary bike at first then pushed myself for 1hr by watching a favorite tv show
  • get10fit2013
    get10fit2013 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    The very first time I tried an elliptical, I thought I was in good shape...I could easily walk fast on the treadmill for over an hour no problem, because that's what my body got used to. When I tried it out, I thought 5 min would kill me! Now I've come to enjoy the elliptical so much more than the treadmill (achy knees) and I can go about an hour on the elliptical. Last week they were working on them, and I had to do the treadmill instead. I thought I would die on the treadmill after 10 minutes. So, it's all what your body is used to. Everything seems really hard for me until I stick with it for a while. Don't get discouraged. I think it's totally normal. What helps me is turning on the tv in the workout room to something I'm interested in so I'm not looking at the panel. Don't worry at first about how fast or slow you're going or even that you're on the easiest resistance. Just stay on it. Once you've done it a while and build up your time on it gradually, then add some resistance or incline. Then it will be tough all over again! :)
  • sypop
    sypop Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I STARTED AT 8 MIN AND EVERY WEEK I ADDED A MIN, I NOW DO 33 MIN AT A TIME ON THE ELIPTICAL AND AM NOT NEARLY AS EXHAUSTED AFTER 33 AS I WAS WHEN I STARTE AT JUST 8 LOL