Workout Critique?

Options
Hi everyone :) I've been part of MFP for a while and in the last couple of months I've really been able to make the mental change I needed to in order to really focus.

I am wanting to lose about 30+ pounds more, I'm already down 15 so yay for that!

Between switching to primal/paleo (with some wiggle room, nobody's perfect ;) ) and going to the gym 6 days a week, I've really begun to see a change. I'm worried about hitting a plateau or not doing the optimal things for my workouts.

Six days a week a do HIIT intervals on the elliptical for about 3 miles in 30-35 minutes. I feel like that's good for the cardio/leg toning area.

Three days a week I am doing a kettlebell routine. http://greatist.com/fitness/22-kick-*kitten*-kettlebell-exercises

It's basically that broken into three chunks of about 7 exercises each. I am also doing stretching and some abs too. I feel like it's time to step it up though.

What would you change or add?

Also, I am set at a 1 lb loss deficit weekly and I am happy to eat back my calories. :)

Replies

• halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    6 days a week of TRUE HIIT would be quite taxing on your system. Are you really doing HIIT or more doing intervals?
    Mike
  • HeatherYevette
    HeatherYevette Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm going for a 2 minute sprint at low resistance, and then 2 minutes of high resistance/high elevation. I do this for 35 minutes usually, hitting about 3 miles.

Am I calling it correctly? HIIT?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm going for a 2 minute sprint at low resistance, and then 2 minutes of high resistance/high elevation. I do this for 35 minutes usually, hitting about 3 miles.

Am I calling it correctly? HIIT?
    Nope. It would be impossible to do HIIT for 35 min and impossible 2 min of high resistance is again not HIIT. During the high intensity portion, you should be pushing yourself so you can only do it for at the most 15-20 seconds. So it would be an all out sprint or peddling as fast as you can. Treadmills, stairmasters and elliptical are not conducive to HIIT.
    What you are doing is interval training.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    man thats a lot of interval training haha

should def be appropriate to get you to your goals tho
  • Take24Life
    Options
    The interval training you are doing is great for cardio.
    My suggestion would be to add in more strength training besides the kettlebell routine, a great read on the subject is "New Rules of Lifting for Women" Easy read and great guide to getting started with strength training.
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    A suggestion to avoid the plateau, make sure to change your routine. I like to change mine every 4-5 weeks. This keeps the body guessing and avoids said plateau.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    A suggestion to avoid the plateau, make sure to change your routine. I like to change mine every 4-5 weeks. This keeps the body guessing and avoids said plateau.
    Shocking the body and making the body guess to avoid plateaus is a myth.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Shocking the body and making the body guess to avoid plateaus is a myth.

Quoted for truth.

Add in barbell squats, bench press, deadlifts and bent over rows. These are great strength exercises. Slowly progress in weight and ensure you keep proper form throughout all of the lifts.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    You can " shock the body" by adding weight to the bar. That's what everyone seems to forget.