your gym experiences. should I join gym? nervous..

Options
Hey everyone!

Deciding whether I should join a gym or not. Have trouble with commitment. I do everything for about 2 or 3 months and when I don't see results i quit. Never joined a gym but have been back and forth on the thought for a few weeks now. Feel like I work out better out of the house. VERY NERVOUS DUE TO DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT AT GYM OR WHAT TO DO OR HOW TO USE EQUIPMENT. what's your stories, experiences, or advice? The gym I'm looking at joining is 35 a month and includes multiple classes including spin zumba ab attack body sculpt etc.
Thanks!

Replies

• adiggs2777
    adiggs2777 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    One one hand, if you pay money, I feel like its a waste to not go if you are paying. On the other hand, I personally find a treadmill terribly boring (although I suck it up and use one). Since your gym has classes you should try one - they offer more variety and take the mental work of trying to develop your own routine. If you have extra cash a good option might be to invest in personal training. I found it to be much more interesting than treadmill/weights. I can't say fun.. torturous really, but more interesting and engaging mentally. The weight machines have instructions on how to use them, but freeweights are just that - free of instructions. They are good if you have a routine in mind that you want to do. I would honestly say that the guys over by the freeweights will probably respect you hard if you are using them.
  • mandarrr32
    Options
    I personally love going to the gym. I now go 6 days a week most weeks.
    I've just had a really hard time in the past staying motivated when I'm trying to get exercise regularly on my own..since I've made the gym a part of my day, it's a lot harder to make excuses, especially because I pay for that membership every month.

I haven't tried any classes at my gym, but probably will soon. :)
  • lulz14
    lulz14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's the best thing I've ever done.

It is very nerve wrecking going in the first time. But just remember, no one is looking at you. No one. Everyone is doing their own thing.

I really recommend getting a personal trainer, if only for a session or two, to give you an idea of what workouts suit you.

Do what you enjoy. I HATE treadmills, but love the bikes. Make sure you do something you enjoy otherwise you won't go.

Fit it into your routine, i.e. I go to a gym near my work, so I can go there straight after.

Feel free to message me if you'd like some advice :)
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    35 a month is a bit high IMO, but if it's in your budget I say go for it. Lots of gyms will have a free or at least discounted introductory trainer session that will guide you through a good workout and show you how to use the equipment, etc. The classes can also be a great motivator for a lot of people. My wife and I go together and while we don't work out on the same machines, the trip there on a regular schedule is something we push each other to stick to. If you are single or otherwise without a workout buddy, I *highly* recommend the classes, as you're likely to meet someone with similar goals and/or schedule. At a minimum you should be able to use that class schedule as motivation. For me, working out at the gym is better than working out at home because I have a defined amount of time that is very focused on getting that work done. Too many distractions at home, and too easy to slack off (again, for me).

The biggest challenge for most people when it comes to gym membership is getting up and going there. If you can figure out a way to make that happen and stick to it, I think you'll really enjoy the results.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Do it!

I have a better workout at my gym them I do at home. I feel more comminted when Im at the gym and seem to work harder.

Most gyms will have someone to show you around and help you with machines, so ASK!! =)

And if it includes classes (zumba/spin) thats a total bonus! Go to one, make friends, make workout dates, and that way you will be obligated to go! =)

Good luck!
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Get a gym induction, they'll show you how to use all the machines :)
  • lilbitsc89
    lilbitsc89 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I went and looked around at the gym near my house today. Looks nice and lots of equipment. The people there seem nice and I found out that when you join they give you a 45 min introduction assessment including nutrition, bmi evaluation, and workouts/how to use equipment.

Now just got to get myself to join.
    I feel like if I am paying for something I will be more committed where as at home (free) I'm not motivated.
    So hopefully I can get over the nervousness and join!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    try it out- see if you can get only a few month contract (yes it will be more expensive)

I personally wouldn't work out at home- I know this about myself so I didn't even bother excusing it or explaining it. It's just NOT going to happen. So I don't bother. Fortunately for me- there have always been gyms near me (well- I live in NJ- there are ALWAYS things near me LOL) and I have never been wanting- I joined a bigger gym with facilities all through the state and I have multi-gym access so I have no excuse to not work out.

One time I was on my way back from Rhode Island- I actually realized i wasn't going to make it back in time- so when I stopped for coffee- I check where the closest gym was on the freeway- and I stopped worked out- showered and got back on the road- it was great.

Take your time- don't rush. Again- having that membership and a place where I could go AWAY from my home to work out was a must- it works for some and not for others- just try not to let it be a money gather-er for the gym.... if you are paying for it- USE IT. :D
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    As others have said, my gym membership is really the only reason I exercise regularly. some people work out at home and are doing great, it's really your personality type. For the record, depending on where you are in the world, $35 per month for a full service gym (not a Planet Fitness type) is not a bad price. Keep in mind that the goal of your introductory 45 minute session will be to sell you more sessions. There won't be a lot of time to develop a workout plan for you. You might consider investing in a few sessions with a trainer. It will give you more confidence and will likely improve the chances that you will stick with it. Good luck!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I like the atmosphere of going to the gym and being around a bunch of other people trying to prove themselves. Working out at home never had that feeling and I found it hard to do it consistently.

There are plenty of gyms you can join with only like a 10 dollar initiation fee with no committment so if its not your thing you can cancel at any time.
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It works for some people. I used to have a gym membership but I didn't go very often because I hated driving there in traffic after work. I'm not a big fan of ellipticals and other cardio machines. To be fair, when I had my membership I didn't love working out like I do now. I work out at home now and I love it. I do Insanity, Daily Burn videos and whatever else. I run outside and do random boot camps too. I prefer it to a gym because it's more flexible and I push myself harder at home for some reason.
    What you stick with will be what you like and don't get bored of so get a month trial at a gym and see how you like it. Remember it takes 21 days to form a habit
  • jen4relient22
    Options
    i've really benefited from having a gym membership! mine is also around 40/month, and i go every single day. if i don't make it, i feel guilty. plus the classes are just so much fun! i actually look forward to working out every day. i definitely wouldn't do that if i didn't have a gym membership. also, my gym is really convenient and by my work so i can go during my lunch break. that REALLY helps- i have no excuse not to go!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Deciding whether I should join a gym or not. Have trouble with commitment. I do everything for about 2 or 3 months and when I don't see results i quit. Never joined a gym but have been back and forth on the thought for a few weeks now. Feel like I work out better out of the house. VERY NERVOUS DUE TO DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT AT GYM OR WHAT TO DO OR HOW TO USE EQUIPMENT. what's your stories, experiences, or advice? The gym I'm looking at joining is 35 a month and includes multiple classes including spin zumba ab attack body sculpt etc.
    Thanks!

you dont need a gym..everything you need is all around you.
  • alimak21
    alimak21 Posts: 20
    Options
    I joined a gym once. They offered two sessions for free with a personal trainer, which was nice because they helped show me how to use the machines and gave me some basic goals to get me started. That being said, I never went with consistency and never renewed my membership or joined another gym. I hated exercise until I tried Zumba with a friend a few years ago and got hooked. I would encourage you to join the gym for the simple fact that classes like Zumba are included. The music and group atmosphere are fun! Once you get to know people in the class you will be more likely to keep going.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I did, and it's totally embarrassing hwo much time I spent on this... I wrote down a list of things I wanted to do in the gym: lat pull, rowing, deadlift, etc. And then I youtubed every last thing like ten times and watched all the videos explain how to do it until I felt confident I could walk up to that machine and not look like a fool.

Commuitment scares me, too, but save that for something more important. Don't put off going to the gym just because you're nervous. I did that for way too long and I regret it.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Some gyms have a 7-day free trial on their website (like Golds Gym). Its nice to try it out to make sure it fits in with what you want to do.

I chose my gym because of the classes, although I also use the machines for some strength training and I ride the bike there for extra cardio. I go to Zumba 3x a week, have gone to 2 LesMills BodyPump classes and there's a beginners "Fit" class I take 2x a week.

For me, well especially the classes, its like I have an appointment with the gym. I have an exercise bike at home that I've rarely used (cost around $900) and I've purchased Zumba DVD's from QVC ($100) that I've rarely used.

Some gyms have classes, a pool, even massages! That's the only thing I wish my gym had, was a pool, since I'm back East and our community pool closes in 3 weeks.

I do have a one-year contract, but I pay $27 a month. $35 isn't too bad, but I think I only paid $29 a month at 24 hour Fitness about 4 years ago. Look for/ask for specials/deals. Some gyms have specials online, some advertise in the paper, some offer employer discounts or military discounts... just ask!

And I agree with others that mentioned don't worry about others. You go to the gym for yourself, not for anyone else. It helps to have fun or make friends or try new things and sometimes it can help to have a workout buddy, but you're doing this for your health and well being, so do what works best for you!

And, as with classes, especially Zumba, the instructor makes all the difference in the world. If you try a class and don't care for it, try another class with a different instructor. You may actually enjoy it more!
  • MommyisFit
    MommyisFit Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to going to the gym. I go 6 days a week and have to force myself to take an off day! I love the classes - there is something about working out with other people that makes you push yourself harder. I go much longer than I would have if I was doing the same thing at home. My gym is $24.99 but most gyms in my area are at least $65/mo. I think $35 is a very reasonable price - especially for one with classes. You can get cheaper, but usually not without the classes.

At first, you may feel silly. But everyone was a beginner once. Everyone is so busy worrying about their own workout that I promise nobody is watching to see if you make a mistake. Plus, instructors are so helpful.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I did, and it's totally embarrassing hwo much time I spent on this... I wrote down a list of things I wanted to do in the gym: lat pull, rowing, deadlift, etc. And then I youtubed every last thing like ten times and watched all the videos explain how to do it until I felt confident I could walk up to that machine and not look like a fool.

Commuitment scares me, too, but save that for something more important. Don't put off going to the gym just because you're nervous. I did that for way too long and I regret it.

THIS. and in fact, i STILL hit youtube up if i wanna try something new or im not sure of my form or something.

it wont take you long before you realize that most people are so engrossed in what theyre doing theyre not even paying attention.

i was doing heavy db bench presses about a month ago...my arm snagged my headphone wire, threw off my balance, i dumped my dumbbell, which forced me to rolled off the bench the other direction...got up all embarrassed said "ha wtf am i doing?!" loud enough for people to hear...looked around...not a SINGLE person noticed. finished my exercises and left. im pretty sure i could do deadlifts in a clown costume and no one would even see.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

THIS. and in fact, i STILL hit youtube up if i wanna try something new or im not sure of my form or something.

it wont take you long before you realize that most people are so engrossed in what theyre doing theyre not even paying attention.

i was doing heavy db bench presses about a month ago...my arm snagged my headphone wire, threw off my balance, i dumped my dumbbell, which forced me to rolled off the bench the other direction...got up all embarrassed said "ha wtf am i doing?!" loud enough for people to hear...looked around...not a SINGLE person noticed. finished my exercises and left. im pretty sure i could do deadlifts in a clown costume and no one would even see.

Its gym bro code....You have to 1. make sure that person is okay and not injured then 2. Look away and pretend it never happened
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Problem with a gym is...you get used to it and when it is gone (vacation, finances, etc) you are stuck re-learning what you should do to stay fit and healthy. I recommend bodyweight exercises with running and cycling as your main forms of exercise. Pushups, pullups, body squats as your staples for resistance. Pick up some cheap weights somewhere or just use stuff you have around your house (heavy things in the garage, squats with a heavy backpack on, kids, etc) and you're good to go. Then if you are every without gym access you can still do everything you need to do in order to stay healthy.