When I'm short on time...

Options
When I'm short on time and NEED to grab drive-thru / fast food so that I don't miss eating all together, Where can I go?

The fast food joints around here are: Taco Bell, Dairy Queen, MacDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Carls Jr, Sonic.

What are your favorite items/meals at these places to not totally blow your diet? (I try to be around 1200 - 1500 calories per day)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

-Reihn

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell - chicken soft taco (190 cals), Fresco chicken ranchero taco (170 cals)

Wendy's - small chili (220 cals and fills me up like no other), baked potato (370 cals)

I don't eat at the other places.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I like Taco Bell's cantina taco's. very simple with a corn tortilla which is way better than flour, meat and fresh onions and cilantro (as fresh as Taco Bell gets?) I can't remember the calorie count off-hand but they are pretty low and don't give you the yucky fast food, brick in the gut feeling.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    Taco Bell's fresco menu is actually pretty good. and honestly just ONE bean and cheese burrito from them isnt that bad calorie wise :/
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If I absolutely have to eat at a fast food place, I do a hamburger happy meal from mcd's with water for my drink, a plain hamburger (no bun) and apples. It's 190 calories.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Is there a sub shop close by? I always go for 1/2 a sub on whole wheat with roasted chicken, no cheese or sauces, and LOTS of veggies. I refuse to eat at any fast food place as I won't put that much fat and sodium in my body.

Oh, DON"T eat the Wendy's chili (sorry) . . . they make it with all of the left over old burger patties that sit on the grill too long.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    McDonalds has grilled chicken snackwraps, I get 2 of those and no pop or fries just water
    each wrap has 240 cals 8g fat, 25 carbs, 16 protein, 3 fibre, and 530 mg sodium, sodium is high on these but other than that pretty good.

Or at Wendy's I get 2 Junior Hamburger deluxe and water
    each burger has 230 cals 8g fat, 26g carbs 12g protein 480 mg sodium.
  • TheHuhu
    Options
    If you go to McDonald's and eat 6 chicken McNuggets (no sauce), a garden salad with balsamic dressing and water for a drink, you get 260 calories.
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    Actually there is a subway. I didn't put them on my list because I usually just nab a 6" Veggie from there. (Sometimes I just get tired of sandwiches).
  • jcmc99
    Options
    Taco bell works well if you get a taco salad with no tortilla bowl. Cuts the calories huge!!!! I also ask for no rice. Cuts the carb issue.
    As for the other places... salads. Sorry they are your best bet. Good luck!
  • mchandler67
    Options
    The chicken cantina tacos from Taco Bell are my favorite - I think they are around 170 calories per taco and you get two corn tortillas - I like to eat the tortilla plain with a packet of the hot sauce - really good!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Actually there is a subway. I didn't put them on my list because I usually just nab a 6" Veggie from there. (Sometimes I just get tired of sandwiches).
    Ha, ha . . . I usually eat a salad every day for lunch (throw a different protein in it though) so a sandwich is like a treat for me!
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Wendy's grilled chicken go wrap w/ everything is pretty good. Only 260 cals, 10g fat, 25g carbs. It is kinda small though but will hit the spot if you are in a hurry. I sometimes pair it with half of a small Baja Salad and dont eat the avacado or use the dressing or spicy tortilla topping that is on it. 211 cals, 12.2 fat, 15.5g carbs. (Although...now that I know how that chili is made....ick!) I believe McD has go wraps as well.
  • tater8589
    Options
    Be very carefull if you eat at Sonic, My husband chose to eat there last week. It didn't help that they messed up my order, however.. you can look at my food diary, one meal cost me over1200 cal. Now I generally allow myself one day per week to "over eat" but not like that. If you google fast food nutrition you should get a few sights that will tell you the cals, etc.. in most of the foods at popular places. good luck.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Wendy's ultimate grilled chicken sandwich is 370 cals as served..no adjustments.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    The website that I love for restaurant and fast food is www.dwlz.com. Its for people who use WW, but she usually lists the calories and fat as well. Pretty much any chain you can think of is listed, which is fantastic!
  • nikki91950
    Options
    I am the queen of eating out. I stay around 1200 a day as well, and i can usually fit all of the following into my daily goal:

Taco Bell - regular chicken soft or beef taco, no sour cream
    Dairy Queen - grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo. i know some of them sell individual things of applesauce too that come with the kids meals, but you can get them separate
    MacDonald's - chicken nuggets, cheeseburger, hamburger, or fish filet sandwich minus tartar sauce with apple dippers (no caramel), or a side salad, or a fruit and yogurt parfait, or a fruit n walnut salad (candied walnuts, a few apples and grapes, and a little bit of yogurt)
    Burger King - chicken tenders, cheeseburger or hamburger or veggie burger (no mayo) or grilled chicken sandwich (no mayo) with a side salad or apple fries
    Wendy's - chicken nuggets or grilled chicken sandwich, no honey mustard, with a side salad or mandarin oranges
    Sonic - grilled chicken sandwich on wheat bun, minus mayo. i know you can also buy whole, fresh bananas from them.
  • Brat3073
    Options
    you should be ok with Chicken sandwich, from any of those places. Stay away from the beef.....If you happen to have an Arbys around, the market Fresh sandwiches are great! and they are huge and fill you up!
  • RainyDayProphet
    Options
    Lots of great ideas. Thank you for all the help and YES, we actually do have an Arby's. I totally forgot they built one.

You're all awesome! This will help so much during my next term of school/full time work when I'm short on time.
  • Melora
    Melora Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump