Stuck in Airport for 12 hours ... suggestions !!

Options
Hey everyone,
I am doing some traveling on Sunday and I will be in the air and in airports for about 12 hours, usually when I am in airports I just eat all the processed junk, but I want to try to bring some snacks with me to keep me satisfied as much as I can ! Also hoping there is a healthy choice for a place to actually have a meal at, but I find when I am just sitting around doing nothing I want to snack, so wondering if anyone has some snack options ! So far I have a bag of energy trail mix that has nuts, seeds and fruits, but would love some more suggestions !!
I am bringing a duffle bag so I have room !!
help me out, what should I bring ???

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Plastic baggies of carrots and grapes and easy to eat fruits and veggies like that. I'd also suggest portioning your trail mix into individual servings so you know how much you're eating. I can inhale 4 servings of that stuff without realizing it! Maybe preplan a few fast food meals ahead of time from chains that might be in the airport like McDonald's, Starbuck's, Subway, etc., by looking their menu up online. That will be especially helpful if you will not have internet access while in the airport. Maybe pack a sandwich or warp yourself. A salad with no dressing and some grilled chicken is usually a good option, too, depending on the toppings.
  • VegeLover
    VegeLover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bring stuff that mirrors your airport temptations, but make your version super healthy. My favorites are popcorn, especially air popped, hummus and crunchy veges like celery/peppers, and plain yogurt with berries. Also consider stretching your hi-calorie trail mix by blending it fifty-fifty with whole-grain cereal like Chex or puffed something.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    U can't get through security with hummus or yoghurt.
  • andezz99
    andezz99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot too and usually carry pouches of tuna, beef jerky, nuts and protein bars. Most of it is pretty light. I have also brought hard boiled eggs and a little container of vegetables. What airport will you be stuck at, some have good options (MSP, DFW, ATL) and others just plan are terrible? Good luck, I find I can last a lunch and dinner anytime I travel without good options at the airport. By the way, Cinnabon in not a good option :)
  • LauraBalyk
    LauraBalyk Posts: 219 Member
    Options

really ?? even if it is all through Canada flights ?
  • LauraBalyk
    LauraBalyk Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot too and usually carry pouches of tuna, beef jerky, nuts and protein bars. Most of it is pretty light. I have also brought hard boiled eggs and a little container of vegetables. What airport will you be stuck at, some have good options (MSP, DFW, ATL) and others just plan are terrible? Good luck, I find I can last a lunch and dinner anytime I travel without good options at the airport. By the way, Cinnabon in not a good option :)

I will be at the Regina airport but only for a few hours, then in the Calgary airport for 2 hours, the rest is all on planes :(
  • lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My name is Laura, my sisters name is Kathleen and my mom's name is Regina (you're at that airport). A lot of coincidences here! :)
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options

really ?? even if it is all through Canada flights ?

Yup, you can't bring liquids/gels through security even on domestic flights. I'm pretty sure they wont allow yogurt or hummus. Bring dry snacks in zip lock bags. I've never been to Regina, but I vaguely remember the Calgary airport, and there was a food court... I cant remember too well but I'm sure there was a subway or some other sandwich place that wasn't so bad.
  • VegeLover
    VegeLover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Small quantities....3.5 oz limit...roughly 1/4 cup, a nice size for a dip. I've done it.
    See link for more.
    http://seniortravel.about.com/od/airtravel/a/Take-Your-Own-Food-On-Your-Next-Airplane-Flight.htm
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Jerky and protein bars for snacks. You will want to plan a meal though. I don't see anything wrong with working out a fast food meal, but you'll need at least one meal to tide you over and help you stay full until you land.
  • bethjpsu
    bethjpsu Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for work as well...gets old really fast! try some protein bars, oats (in a baggie - ask for a cup w/ some hot water at a coffee place or on the plane= oatmeal :)

bring a sandwich/salad from home or your fave place (high in protein- leave off dressings as will get soggy/ security) for the first part of your journey - will stay fresh for more than a few hours - then move to your healthy pre portioned snacks... bring an empty water bottle or 2 so you can fill after you pass thru security- you'll want to have a lot of water on the plane to stay hydrated or you may swell up (not pretty - from experience lol)

good luck and please post after your trip -