Weight gain before period???

Options
I know I know this question is over asked but I rarely see people who unexplainablely gain 10-12 pounds the week before theirs!!! Does this seem like a lot? Anyone else gain this much? Also I notice that my legs look huge!!!! Like I can't even fit in my shorts!!! Can thighs and calves bloat/retain water? Why does this happen I still eat right and exercise!!

Replies

• helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Does this happen every month, or is it just this month?
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Your body is making extra blood and retaining the salt and iron necessary to do that. Otherwise we'd all be fainting from blood loss once a month.

That's what I assumed, anyway. It goes away, and that's what I personally care about.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I must be one of the lucky ones, I don't gain before, during or after.
  • stmargarethelpme
    Options
    Yes like clock work every month about a week and half before my period I gain about 11 pounds over 3 days
  • Widadita
    Widadita Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I always gain up to 6 pounds every time I get my period but that weight quickly disappears after it's gone. It's mostly fluid retention and also hormones get crazy !
    My stomach also appears to be bigger than usual and my pants don't fit like before. So really, during the period, I get depressed over the weight gain and I just want it to be over with as soon as possible. Lucky they last only 4 days.
  • stmargarethelpme
    Options
    Yes like clock work every month about a week and half before my period I gain about 11 pounds over 3 days
  • hep26000
    hep26000 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was having a 3-5 pound gain every month so I researched it and they said some women gain 10 pounds. Unfortunately you are one of the unlucky women who have to deal with a large weight gain. Just drink lots of water and don't let it discourage you. Watch your sodium before your period too as that can make the weight gain worse.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Your body is making extra blood and retaining the salt and iron necessary to do that. Otherwise we'd all be fainting from blood loss once a month.

That's what I assumed, anyway. It goes away, and that's what I personally care about.
    :noway:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    While I don't gain that much, I do gain some. Your body also fluctuates 3-5 lbs a day anyhow...

Maybe try drinking a TON of water during that time? It seems to help me with any water retention.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I know I know this question is over asked but I rarely see people who unexplainablely gain 10-12 pounds the week before theirs!!! Does this seem like a lot? Anyone else gain this much? Also I notice that my legs look huge!!!! Like I can't even fit in my shorts!!! Can thighs and calves bloat/retain water? Why does this happen I still eat right and exercise!!

From what I've heard, YES. My mom's friend used to gain at least that much every month the week before her period. She even had a second set of clothes in a different size for that week. I guess her weight usually returned to normal when she started bleeding. If you haven't noticed this before, you may want to give it some time before you freak out. This may be some kind of "phase" (as in, whatever was normal before was one phase, and this may be the new normal for a while).

Another thing is, every 3-4 months I have a really bad period with high water weight gain (for me, that's five pounds), heartburn, nausea, headaches/migraines, backaches that make it difficult to walk, and severe cramping. The reason I mention this is because perhaps this is something that happens to you only every third or fourth period and you never connected the weight gain to your period before.

The last thing I'll mention is that I one time started 30DS right before my period (which I didn't know until I got it because I'm also incredibly irregular). In four days I gained eight pounds, which really upset me, and I gave up on 30DS. This was a huge mistake; it would have been better for me in every way if I had kept at it and let my body adjust to the workout, because now if I do that, I'd most likely gain the water weight again. My advice to you is, give it some time, stay on track, drink water, and see what happens. If you haven't eaten 35,000-42,000 calories over your goal, that weight will probably all come off if you stick to your routine. Good luck!
  • KeepCalmNGetyaSweatOn
    Options
    As hep said, just watch your sodium intake the week before your TOM & drink lots of water. I am one of the unlucky ones too and what seems to help is exercise as well. Cardio seems to help more than strength training (not sure why) so even if you don't feel like working out give it a shot.
  • GLady1980
    GLady1980 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You could try to drink more water...when I was pregnant I had a lot of water rention in my legs and feet and that is what my doctor told me to do. I definately gain weight before my period but not that much.
  • Mrscaperton
    Options

I put on at least 6 pounds, it's so upsetting, I thought it was just me!! and yes clothes do not fit and this normally goes on for about two weeks, so pleased someone asked this!!!!!
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I always gain up to 6 pounds every time I get my period but that weight quickly disappears after it's gone. It's mostly fluid retention and also hormones get crazy !
    My stomach also appears to be bigger than usual and my pants don't fit like before. So really, during the period, I get depressed over the weight gain and I just want it to be over with as soon as possible. Lucky they last only 4 days.

You are very lucky...I had a four-week-long period once, and several 2+ week long ones, have had periods every other week for two months, and now that I'm "regular" (once every 2-5 weeks) I'm averaging nine days of bleeding, and 2-5 of them are heavy.

Of course, my mom was jealous of me for a while, because after my 2-3 week periods, I'd go about 3 months without one...it depends on one's perspective, I guess. Personally, I wouldn't mind not getting them at all unless and until I decide I want a baby, but that's not how nature works.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options

OK...I never said I looked up studies or anything, just that it was an assumption that a body gears itself up in preparation. A _lot_ of people "gain weight" before the period, ergo that's what I thought was a "reasonable assumption". I personally used to get really lightheaded during TOM and I'm not the only one...maybe it has to do with heavy flow. I dunno.

It's temporary. That's the best news.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yup. I gain between 7 and 10 pounds usually. :noway: I have found a couple of things that help though. 1. Drink more water. Seriously, a lot more water! :laugh: 2. Stay away from sodium during that time. I personally seem to crave salty foods around that time and this, of course, won't help with the water retention.
  • kfavulous
    kfavulous Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    as I have recently learned... NEVER weigh yourself a few days before and after (and during!) Shark Week!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

OK...I never said I looked up studies or anything, just that it was an assumption that a body gears itself up in preparation. A _lot_ of people "gain weight" before the period, ergo that's what I thought was a "reasonable assumption". I personally used to get really lightheaded during TOM and I'm not the only one...maybe it has to do with heavy flow. I dunno.

It's temporary. That's the best news.

You aren't "bleeding" like you've hacked an artery, it's the uterine lining being shed. Not the same.
  • smudgekat
    Options
    Me too! I gain about 6-7 pounds, and look slightly preggers. Lol.

So Ive spent tge last year trying to fix it, I havent but Ive managed to get it down to much less gain and bloating.

I know its a pain but exersize does help, start drinking more water a week BEFORE you bloat, if I start drinking water only when I bloat it just gets worse,.
    (Its not the best idea to do all the time but if I have to be somewhere and wear tight pants a mild diuretic like aqua ban will shrink the bloat abfair bit but makes me pee alot. )

Hope this helps.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yup - very timely post as I woke up with mine today - on Wed I was shocked to see I was up 5lb, but that's part of the fun of being a woman! *sarcastic voice*