Weight up but measurements the same

Options
2»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I say no chance you put on 1.5kg (over 3lbs) of muscle on just running.

How are you estimating your calories burned?

Not estimating: counting. Weighing, measuring. However, I was trying to illustrate above that although I may think I am accurate, I dont know how quickly/slowly my body is burning a calorie compared to you, for example. We are not all the same. So how can this weight "gain" be explained? Muscle AND water? It's so easy to assume I am overeating but is there something else we're missing here?

How do you know EXACTLY how many calories you're burning during a workout? That's my point. It isn't an exact science, therefore, how are you estimating calories burned in a workout.

I'm not assuming anything, I'm asking a question. That's how people help on this site, plus you're diary isn't open

I highly doubt it's muscle, could be water, could be normal body weight fluctuation if you're eating at maintenance, but if you're going to be defensive......
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't have gained even half a kg. 7700 calories = 1 kg. Based on my calculations (50 cal/day x 8 weeks) you only have a surplus of 2800 calories.
    This is likely just a fluctuation.

ETA: Forgot that you eat more on running days, giving you a weekly surplus of 1550 and an overall surplus of 12400. This is 1.6 kg. It's likely largely lean gains if your measurements haven't changed :).

I don't understand. How can it be a surplus if I've burned it off? Surely its just "breaking even"?

Your TDEE is roughly 1950. This includes your exercise, and you do not eat those calories back. You already eat 50 calories over your maintenance weight (2000 in - 1950 out). This will lead to very, very slow weight gain. If you eat an additional 400 calories three days a week then you are at a surplus of 1550 per week. ([50 x 7] + [400 x 3]). This is an 8 week surplus of 12400. Where 1 kg = 7700 calories a surplus of 12400 = roughly 1.6 kg.

ETA: My conclusion that this is mostly lean gains comes from the very slow rate at which you put the weight on and assumes a diet that is fairly optimal for anabolism. There is no way to really tell without calculating your body fat.

This is a very exact equation. You're basing this on me eating an extrra 50 kcals a day but that's assuming that my calories counting is 100% accurate (and so are the labels). It dont beleive its the exact science you're explaining it be...what if I move around slightly more at work and therefore end up inadvertently burning those 'extra' 50 kcals? I eat an average, not an exact sciene as I am not a machine.

Thanks for your help but I think maybe you're over thinking this an an exact science. None of us know 100% how much we consume and burn - there's not way of knowing we make suppositions based on what manufactures say and what activity we do.

Also my suplus is being burned so I cant be "carrying" 12400kcals - they've been used up!

These are estimates based on averages. Played out over the course of a month these averages are more or less correct. You have two choices right now: believe that the 1.5 kg gain is a normal fluctuation (very plausible) or believe that you are eating 1550 calories over your TDEE per week.
    What you can do to figure it out is keep doing what you're doing. If in 2 months you are at the same weight or a little bit lower you are eating at maintenance and you can keep going like that. If you have gained another 1.5 kg or so then that means that you are eating above maintenance and might want to drop around 1550 calories per week from your diet.
  • the_snappy_croc
    the_snappy_croc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You really shouldn't have gained even half a kg. 7700 calories = 1 kg. Based on my calculations (50 cal/day x 8 weeks) you only have a surplus of 2800 calories.
    This is likely just a fluctuation.

ETA: Forgot that you eat more on running days, giving you a weekly surplus of 1550 and an overall surplus of 12400. This is 1.6 kg. It's likely largely lean gains if your measurements haven't changed :).

Thanks, that's really helpful :-) will carry on and review it in a few months.

I don't understand. How can it be a surplus if I've burned it off? Surely its just "breaking even"?

Your TDEE is roughly 1950. This includes your exercise, and you do not eat those calories back. You already eat 50 calories over your maintenance weight (2000 in - 1950 out). This will lead to very, very slow weight gain. If you eat an additional 400 calories three days a week then you are at a surplus of 1550 per week. ([50 x 7] + [400 x 3]). This is an 8 week surplus of 12400. Where 1 kg = 7700 calories a surplus of 12400 = roughly 1.6 kg.

ETA: My conclusion that this is mostly lean gains comes from the very slow rate at which you put the weight on and assumes a diet that is fairly optimal for anabolism. There is no way to really tell without calculating your body fat.

This is a very exact equation. You're basing this on me eating an extrra 50 kcals a day but that's assuming that my calories counting is 100% accurate (and so are the labels). It dont beleive its the exact science you're explaining it be...what if I move around slightly more at work and therefore end up inadvertently burning those 'extra' 50 kcals? I eat an average, not an exact sciene as I am not a machine.

Thanks for your help but I think maybe you're over thinking this an an exact science. None of us know 100% how much we consume and burn - there's not way of knowing we make suppositions based on what manufactures say and what activity we do.

Also my suplus is being burned so I cant be "carrying" 12400kcals - they've been used up!

These are estimates based on averages. Played out over the course of a month these averages are more or less correct. You have two choices right now: believe that the 1.5 kg gain is a normal fluctuation (very plausible) or believe that you are eating 1550 calories over your TDEE per week.
    What you can do to figure it out is keep doing what you're doing. If in 2 months you are at the same weight or a little bit lower you are eating at maintenance and you can keep going like that. If you have gained another 1.5 kg or so then that means that you are eating above maintenance and might want to drop around 1550 calories per week from your diet.