your gym experiences. should I join gym? nervous..

Options
2»

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I did, and it's totally embarrassing hwo much time I spent on this... I wrote down a list of things I wanted to do in the gym: lat pull, rowing, deadlift, etc. And then I youtubed every last thing like ten times and watched all the videos explain how to do it until I felt confident I could walk up to that machine and not look like a fool.

Commuitment scares me, too, but save that for something more important. Don't put off going to the gym just because you're nervous. I did that for way too long and I regret it.

That's embarrassing? Damn. I spent around 6 months researching, reading Starting Strength and about half of the videos on entire internet before I ever set foot in a gym.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Problem with a gym is...you get used to it and when it is gone (vacation, finances, etc) you are stuck re-learning what you should do to stay fit and healthy. I recommend bodyweight exercises with running and cycling as your main forms of exercise. Pushups, pullups, body squats as your staples for resistance. Pick up some cheap weights somewhere or just use stuff you have around your house (heavy things in the garage, squats with a heavy backpack on, kids, etc) and you're good to go. Then if you are every without gym access you can still do everything you need to do in order to stay healthy.

How long are your vacations? Yeesh!
  • lieselotte2
    lieselotte2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Check out your gym's classes. I joined the YMCA and they have an indoor pool and water aerobics (1 hrs. sessions). Between that, the classes, and taking a book while doing 5-8 miles on the recumbent bike makes time go by fast. I also do the machines. The YMCA is on a monthly basis, not a yearly contract. And that helps.
  • lizziecheek
    lizziecheek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Since you have never used a gym I would suggest you go to several in the area, tell them you would like to work out for the day and see if this is a fit for you. In my youth I loved working out at different gyms. I would ask if you can take a class, one that you think you would if had a membership and see if you like it. There are a lot of different gym memberships, some are as low as $10.00/month if you are looking for equipment, no frills. There are other ones that offer classes, pool, shower etc. I would think about what you really are looking for and should be able to figure out after you try out some that offer different things. Have fun with it.
  • ruth3698
    ruth3698 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If I could afford it I would join a gym in a second,especially since I want to try lifting.My local gyms run from 40-60 dollars a month here.There are some 10 dollar ones,but they are way too far to be convenient.I would suggest getting a trainer that the gym offers to show you some routines,it would be well worth it later.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I do not regret joining my gym one bit. It did take a few weeks of having to drag myself there to develop the routine, even when I really badly just wanted to veg out at home instead, but now I come to LOVE the days I get to go to the gym and I've developed a strong bond with many of the women I met there. It's really helped open up paths in my life that never would have existed otherwise.

It's definitely worth a shot.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I did, and it's totally embarrassing hwo much time I spent on this... I wrote down a list of things I wanted to do in the gym: lat pull, rowing, deadlift, etc. And then I youtubed every last thing like ten times and watched all the videos explain how to do it until I felt confident I could walk up to that machine and not look like a fool.

Commuitment scares me, too, but save that for something more important. Don't put off going to the gym just because you're nervous. I did that for way too long and I regret it.

THIS. and in fact, i STILL hit youtube up if i wanna try something new or im not sure of my form or something.

it wont take you long before you realize that most people are so engrossed in what theyre doing theyre not even paying attention.

i was doing heavy db bench presses about a month ago...my arm snagged my headphone wire, threw off my balance, i dumped my dumbbell, which forced me to rolled off the bench the other direction...got up all embarrassed said "ha wtf am i doing?!" loud enough for people to hear...looked around...not a SINGLE person noticed. finished my exercises and left. im pretty sure i could do deadlifts in a clown costume and no one would even see.

Its gym bro code....You have to 1. make sure that person is okay and not injured then 2. Look away and pretend it never happened

they did well then! long live the code!
  • VegeLover
    VegeLover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    it wont take you long before you realize that most people are so engrossed in what theyre doing theyre not even paying attention.

i was doing heavy db bench presses about a month ago...my arm snagged my headphone wire, threw off my balance, i dumped my dumbbell, which forced me to rolled off the bench the other direction...got up all embarrassed said "ha wtf am i doing?!" loud enough for people to hear...looked around...not a SINGLE person noticed. finished my exercises and left. im pretty sure i could do deadlifts in a clown costume and no one would even see.
    THIS (thanks for the great story!)
    Plus it helps to observe gym etiquette (http://exercise.about.com/cs/healthclubs/a/gymetiquette.htm)

The gym offers easier ways to do things like pull downs and hamstring moves than home weightlifting. On the other hand, working out at home offers the best commute. Try both and see what feels like the best fit. After all, weightlifting is the fountain of youth....get in there any way you can.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Decide what your goals are then research how to do it. A lot of people go to the gym and fuddy duddy around.. even if they have a PT or do group classes.

It's an environment that doesn't encourage learning because if you learn something on your own then you don't need to PAY someone to do it for you.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I joined a kickboxing gym. I LOVE it...
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I stayed with a friend and she was part of a gym and I was scared. I didn't want to get sweaty in front of strangers. But I loved it! I am thinking of joining for weekend classes but gym price may factor in, OP. Just do research. Here, it is between 50-65 a month. However, my friend only pays 15 a month or at some places she can pay 40 for a whole year.
  • HaBazinga
    Options
    I prefer a health club over a regular gym. There is a lot more going on than just people "pumping it up' or "running like rabbits". Mine for example has a sauna, steam room, 20 various free classes, pool, hot tubs and a snack bar.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I work at a gym as a part time job and I get a lot of clients just like you. If it's not too much, get a trainer for 5 or 6 sessions and you will feel much more comfortable in the gym after doing different stuff. Just make sure your trainer knows that you hired them to teach you how to be independent and have your own workout program..
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I had a gym membership last year. I thought that I would really like it. But, I didn't really know how to use the weight machines. So, I ended up using the treadmills or the indoor track more than anything else. I already had a treadmill and bike at home. It was a waste of money in my case. I wish that I had researched more gyms around my area. I would have chosen one that had trainers on hand that could assist with the machines. The one I joined was more of a recreational type gym.

Definitely do your research. Make sure they have a wide variety of equipment. Make sure that someone will be able to show you how to use the machines. And, make sure that you get your money's worth.
  • Fallouts
    Fallouts Posts: 16
    Options
    Problem with a gym is...you get used to it and when it is gone (vacation, finances, etc) you are stuck re-learning what you should do to stay fit and healthy. I recommend bodyweight exercises with running and cycling as your main forms of exercise. Pushups, pullups, body squats as your staples for resistance. Pick up some cheap weights somewhere or just use stuff you have around your house (heavy things in the garage, squats with a heavy backpack on, kids, etc) and you're good to go. Then if you are every without gym access you can still do everything you need to do in order to stay healthy.

I find a gym and get a week pass when I'm on vacation.