Breakfast Suggestions

Options
ChrisM8971
ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
Breakfast is the one meal I never used to eat and am struggling to find something satisfying to eat for it now. I weighed out 40 g of cereal and looked at the bottom of the bowl with a sinking feeling and went back to the old favorite - eggs.

Trouble with that is that I am told too many eggs are bad for you (high fats and cholesterol so was wondering what others do for breakfast

Would love to hear your ideas as looking for inspiration

Replies

• ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Well there really isn't anything wrong with one egg in the morning, the problem is eating more than two eggs a day.

Try switching it up day to day! I do an english muffin one day, an egg the next, followed by rice oatmeal, and then fruit salad.

Variety is the only way I can get myself to eat breakfast.
  • tinyfitlauren
    Options
    I used to never eat breakfast but now its my favorite meal!

I love eggs as well so I will have an egg and toast with a piece of fruit for breakfast about 3 times a week ( I try not to do more)

Another favorite of mine is overnight oats!! There are so many options online if you google it, and they keep me full for hours.

Obviously peanut butter toast/peanut butter on an english muffin is good, banana and gtea make it more filling.

Also - I chug 2 glasses of water before breakfast (and most other meals) and I feel more satisfied from the meal when I do that.

Good luck to ya!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Eggs really aren't that bad for you. They can be high in some ways, but if you balance it all out, you'll be fine.

I eat eggs all the time...my bloodwork is spotless. :smile:
  • divacowgirl
    Options
    Hey Chris!

Check out this article on eggs http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/weight_loss/weight_loss_tips/eat_eggs.htm
    The main point of the article is that when you eat eggs, you will eat less the rest of the day. I mix one egg with 3 egg whites, it is very filling and low in calories. I add a little milk and whip them well, and scramble them. Also whole grain toast is more filling than white bread and full of that lovely fibre we keep hearing so much about! I love to have stewed tomatoes with it too. Did I just see you make a face?
  • lieselotte2
    lieselotte2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I make my own Homemade Egg Substitute:

•3 egg whites
    •2 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk powder
    •1 teaspoon water
    Directions
    •In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Use as a substitute for eggs. Yield: 1 serving (equivalent to 2 eggs).

Nutritional Facts
    1 serving equals 64 calories, 0.55 g fat (0 saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 10 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat-free milk

You can also buy the "Taste of Home Comfort Diet Cookbook". I went on AbeBooks.com and bought the 2009 book for $5.85. I love it and cook out of it just about every day. I lost 33 lbs. in 6 weeks using the book, Myfitnesspal.com and excercising at the YMCA 5 nights a week for an hour. I hope this helps.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fine. Just as long as they fit into your calories for the day.
  • SusanDLP
    SusanDLP Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I make steel cut oats in the crock pot:
    1 cup steel cut
    1 1/2 cup skim milk
    1 1/2 water
    1 tsp. butter
    4 apples, chopped
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1 Tbs. flax seed

Dump in crock pot, cook on low. Leftovers heat through well. We add blueberries & raisins, too.
  • marydillet
    Options
    I have 50g of porridge oats with 300mls of water. Done in the microwave for 5 mins then topped with, 1 tsp of sunflower, pumpkin and linseed seeds also,1 tsp of goji berries and a little squirt of honey. I also top that off with 30mls of semi-skimmed milk. I find this breakfast very filling. I also sometimes have a frozen berry smoothie with fat free natural yoghurt and a little honey (no fruit juice added). You can add a few ice cubes if needed or make a thickie - by adding a small handful of uncooked porridge oats. Good luck. x
  • saraaaas
    saraaaas Posts: 14
    Options
    You could have a 2 egg white omelette or one whole egg with one egg white if one whole egg isnt enough for you! Add a banana and some strawberries too! This is a pretty low calorie breakfast. Have your tea or coffee without sugar or milk, i find that that really reduces calorie intake.
  • alwaysgreen17
    alwaysgreen17 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Big fan of yogurt in the morning with granola. Keeps me pretty full til lunch!
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    Thanks for those ideas, really appreciated, they have really given me something to work with.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is great! I get all different flavors and even add my own twists to them (pb2, sf pudding mix, etc) or add cereal/ granola for a crunsh! there great alternative and high protein to boot.
  • brianx99
    brianx99 Posts: 30
    Options
    For breakfast I go for smoothies -- it's all natural and healthy...gives me the energy that I need to keep me going. I throw in these ingredients into the bullet/blender:

1/2 c frozen spinach
    1/2 c non fat greek yogurt
    1/2 c frozen berries
    1 c almond milk
    small banana
    a couple of ice cubes
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Eggs are high in healthy cholesterol and fats are good for you.

Eat your eggs. Before I eat them for you.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I cooked rolled oats the 15 to 20 minute variety, sometimes rolled sometimes steel cut oats for the variety
    I do this twice a week. I cook 11/2 cups rolled oats to 3 cups of water. I take out one portion of 3/4 of cup add unsweetened almond milk and a tsp, honey. The rest I wrap immediatlely so it doesn't get hard on top and put in a container, each day for the next three days I take my portion size out add a dash of water to mositon pop it in the microwave and heat for a minute or two.
    I also have a small portion of fruit on the side.
    There are great benefits health wise in eating oatmeal plus it is filling.
  • miniversion
    miniversion Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Spinach omelette with onion and some cheese...
    This morning I cooked oats with minute tapioca, banana and coconut milk and brown sugar...I actually liked it...
    Rice with egg porridge or rice with hard boiled egg and chili sauce...
    Egg and muffin.
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    now your just making me hungry :)
  • SwellyStyles
    Options
    I eat 2-3 eggs every day during the week (Mon-Fri) and it's never done me wrong. Feel free to take a peek at my diary and see what I usually eat. Cottage cheese w/cinnamon and oats cereal mixed in, eggs, english muffin with PB and a banana, oatmeal is great with some PB, the list goes on!
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to have eggs for breakfast, Greek Omelet is a good choice.
    All my meals all have meat in them, so 2 eggs are always with breakfast. :)
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I happen to like a bowl of oatmeal and 2 pices of bacon.