Daily vs weekly

Options
Hiya I'm relatively new to mfp and calorie counting I've seen a few people on here saying they count there calories by weekly instead of daily so as long their inside their weekly allowance it doesn't matter how many calories they have daily, I was just wondering what everyone's views are on this? Would it hinder weightloss ? Does many people do this? :)

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My trainer has actually suggested I work out my 'calorie budget' over a span of ten days rather than log the same amount consistently on a daily basis. I'm still getting used to changing my perspective and giving that a shot.

I don't think there is a right or a wrong way. Try it for a while and see how you react to it/stick to it.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I think that it's generally a good thing to have big goals and a bunch of smaller goals designed to help reach the big goals. For that reason, I like to shoot to hit my daily calorie goals with the idea that I will hit my weekly/monthly calorie goals.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Hiya I'm relatively new to mfp and calorie counting I've seen a few people on here saying they count there calories by weekly instead of daily so as long their inside their weekly allowance it doesn't matter how many calories they have daily, I was just wondering what everyone's views are on this? Would it hinder weightloss ? Does many people do this? :)

I don't do it personally, but that's just preference. You will get the exact same results in the long run no matter which way you do it, so it's really up to you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I try to hit my daily goal. However, if I am a little bit over, I don't stress about it, I try to just be a little bit under the next day or the day after.

It helps to have an idea of your TDEE is, this means total daily energy expenditure, or "maintenance calories", it's the number where you wouldn't gain or lose weight. If I go over my calorie goal but I'm still under TDEE then it is fine, I will still lose weight. I only need to worry if I am consistently over a lot.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It works for me because I know I'm going to eat more calories on the weekend,
    so I compensate during the week.

I've also read that changing it up and surprising your body, vs. eating the same calories every day,
    is good for speeding up your metabolism.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you end up needing to skip eating completely on Saturday to meet your goals, due to being over and pushing the deficit back and back and back every day, it's probably not a sustainable approach.

If you're generally pretty close daily, and aiming at a weekly deficit causes less stress, great.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't have a 24 hour reset button- any time period you find useful is fine.
  • Sammfp
    Sammfp Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks everyone for ur replies think ill give it a go for a week and see how I get on :)
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I use the weekly goal as a safety valve to offset a days indiscretion. If you're offsetting for more than more than once a week though, you need to rethink your plan and commitment.