For all the wine (and spirit, and beer) lovers!

Options
Okay, all. I'm new to MFP and I wasn't able to find anything about this yet (and if there is, I apologize). Already so many of you have been an inspiration to me, so thanks!

But one thing I won't want to give up completely is my wine -- Chardonnay Fridays and Sauv Sundays especially. Now, don't panic -- no, I don't have a drinking problem, but probably twice a week I like to have wine, and I'd love to hear from people who have managed to lose weight while still enjoying their tipple of choice.

Hints/helps/stories?

Replies

• glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'd just work it into your calorie alotment for the day just like anything else. There really doesn't need to be any degree of concern, IMO.
  • parteegirl01
    Options
    OMG, I love wine. So. Much. I think I'm going to cut it back out for a while though, my weight seems to be increasing lately. I was still having wine a couple times a week back when I lost almost 40 pounds. It didn't seem to affect me that much since I was just being healthier in general. Like what was already said, just keep up with the calories from it too.
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    If you're doing strength training, a moderate amount of (preferably purified) alcohol may preserve muscle loss on a calorie deficit.

If it fits in your calories, a drink or two a week isn't going to screw you up. I maintain a 1lb/week loss while cutting and have a couple of ounces of rum about twice a week. No bigs.
  • barbie3000
    barbie3000 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow, didn't know that. Maybe I should switch to vodka instead of wine...
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    Must admit I enjoy or rather enjoyed a drink or two mainly on the weekends!

I used to drink scotch and dry or Jack Daniels and coke but now I enjoy a few glasses of wine on occasion, I'm thoroughly enjoying the journey of getting fit and finding I don't really want to drink .. I did 2 workouts yesterday because I knew we had visitors coming and we'd have a drink!! Lol

less calories in wine than mixed spirits :))x
  • Pinkee33
    Pinkee33 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I love the occasional glass of Merlot and when calories allow, I fit it in OR I intentionally watch my intake for the day if I'm feelin' like a glass or two :drinker:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    EAT
    DRINK
    BE MERRY
    if you do all three
    add me
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I drink plenty and often, lol. As long as I'm honest about the calories and work it into my allotment, I've had no problems losing weight.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    just work it into your daily calories. You can meet your goals and drink.

source: I'm drunk right now
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I drink plenty and often, lol. As long as I'm honest about the calories and work it into my allotment, I've had no problems losing weight.

This.
  • newmanel
    newmanel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Dry white wines are really not very high-calorie, all things considered. You could drink vodka sodas for fewer calories, but the best advice is to drink what you want within your calorie allotment.
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Agreed with others on this topic :) I'm a drinker, always will be LOL and as long as I'm honest (or at least mostly teehee) it hasnt' affected my weight loss.

Actually as long as you drink a mixer with 0 calories, vodka or light rum has less calories then wine. I believe it is 90 calories for 1 1/2 ounces of vodka. I am soooo guilty of saving up calories for alcohol...just take a look at my diary!!
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wine: everyday.
    “Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.”
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Fun side note...the less you eat the faster you get drunk LOL

ETA: Less volume to get you drunk = less calories from alcohol...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Plan it.
    Drink it.
    Enjoy it.
    :drinker:

I'm no doubt drinking less but unless you plan on going teetotal for the rest of your life then excluding something you enjoy isn't likely to be successful in the long term.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up alcohol
  • quicklabs
    quicklabs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I'm a total wine, beer and liqueur snob! There is no way I could give those up. So, I just set aside the calories or exercise harder. I have to say, I can't indulge every day the way I used to, but that's OK. I buy only the best now so that I can really, really enjoy it.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your diary - no reason not to have it :smile:
  • barbie3000
    barbie3000 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. Some of you made me cackle out loud.