Any good recipes for healthy refried beans?

Options
trustymutsi
trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
Does anyone have a good healthy recipe for refried beans? I have a bunch of dry pinto beans to use up :)

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• weightingitout88
    Options
    Bean fanatic!

I put my pinto beans in my crockpot for 6-8 hours, double the water to bean ratio. Sprinkle with some Mrs. Dash seasonings to eliminate the sky rocket of Sodium. Once they are tender little things, i scoop out my portion, (adding a little of the water they cooked in) to a pot. Bring to a simmer and then MASH. Voila. Season to taste and so healthy.
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have a pinterest crock pot recipe that's easy and fabulous, it's from penniesandpancakes.com.

2 lbs Rinsed beans (yes, you can soak them first, but you don't have to) go in crock pot with 4 tbsp chopped garlic, 1 large chopped onion, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp black pepper, salt to taste (it says 2 tbsp, but that's a whole lot in my world, I reduced it to 2 tsp I think), 10 cups of water.

Cook on high for 2 hrs, or low for 4 hrs ( think by the time I got home they had cooked for 6, but whatever, just add more water to thin them out).

then just mash to the consistancy you want

They were really really good - shocking after just using canned for so long!
  • saraknotts
    saraknotts Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    These are my favorite! No lard required. It's on allrecipes and called Refried Beans without the Refry. I've even made them and skipped the "mashing" part to serve as a side with cornbread.

Original recipe makes 15 servingsChange Servings

1 onion, peeled and halved
    3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
    1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    5 teaspoons salt - I have reduced this to 3 and it's not that bad
    1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
    9 cups water

1.Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.

2.Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Sounds great thanks!
  • LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump! :smile:
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Love Beans! Bump
  • Kimberrh6
    Kimberrh6 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Heavybetty
    Heavybetty Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump!! Love me some beans!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    salt to taste (it says 2 tbsp, but that's a whole lot in my world, I reduced it to 2 tsp I think)

Ye gods! Ya, 2T had to be a typo! :O
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you cook them in the crockpot, skim the foam off the top from time to time.
    It helps tremendously with the, umm, gas.

and definitely rinse them well before.

Love refried beans.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    1 large chopped onion
    1 onion, peeled and halved

Does the onion mess with the texture when you mash these babies?
  • AraceliGarza
    AraceliGarza Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you use a little bit of olive oil and suatee 1/4 cup of onions,tomatoes,1 jalapeno pepper, then add 2 cups of cooked beans and use a potatoe masher and you have very tasty low cal refried beans. Jalapeno's peppers have capsinoids to help with weight loss.

I enjoy beans in a tortilla (50 calories) .

Or you can make a bean soup using pinto beans,navy beans in a large pot and Once the beans are soft/tender add 1/2 cup of onions, tomatoes,jalapeno pepers , pinch of cilantor and then add 1lb of cooked lean ground meat ..Add seasoning to your taste.

Yummy!!!!
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    bump
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    the more you eat the better you feel so lets have beans for every meal!