Preventing Muscle Knots

Options
Ok, wonder if any one else has this issue, because no one else that I know has ever had to deal with it. When ever I start working out AT ALL, my entire body starts to develope massive muscle knots, like dime size to quarter size in diameter. The knots are bad enough, but eventually the knots in my lower body start to tighten everything up so much that my ankles, knees, hips and lower back all start getting pulled out of alignment so much that I start getting pain, sometimes to the point I have to stop working out.

Here's what I'm doing so far; hydrating, stretching, yoga, foam roller/lacrosse ball, baths with epsom salt and I'm even starting regular massages. My big question is, is there ANYTHING I can do to help PREVENT the formation of all of these knots, because honestly, trying to work these knots out of my system once they've formed is taking more time and energy than my workouts! And it seems like no matter how much I do to work them out, the next day, the next workout, they're back and often bigger than they were before. Seriously, HELP!

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    aaaaaand bump.....
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Make sure when you're stretching you're holding it for more than a few seconds. I find 10 - 20 seconds gets a good solid stretch and keeps the knots at bay. That's the only advice I can give you that you aren't doing (or should I say didn't state you were doing, if you're already doing this, the I obviously didn't help).
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Yea, I hold for a minimum 20 to 30 seconds. I'm really wondering what causes it. I just don't know any one else who knots up like I do. I could deal if it were just one or two after a really intense work out, but I feel like I'm spending more time trying to work out the knots than I am exercising, and that's just to keep from getting so tight I can't move properly!
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yea, I hold for a minimum 20 to 30 seconds. I'm really wondering what causes it. I just don't know any one else who knots up like I do. I could deal if it were just one or two after a really intense work out, but I feel like I'm spending more time trying to work out the knots than I am exercising, and that's just to keep from getting so tight I can't move properly!

What type of exercise are you doing that's causing this? I lift weights and knot up occasionally, but am usually able to work it out or stretch it out after a good week (after a solid warm up of course) at the longest. Maybe (if you have access to one) ask a physical therapist or a trainer (I'm sure trainers run across those issues with their clients). Sorry I'm not as much help as I thought.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hold a stretch for 20 to 30 seconds.....um no.

That can do more damage than good. Look into "dynamic stretching". I've never met a trainer (through HS and College Sports) that had us hold a stretch.
  • beverlyweaver73
    beverlyweaver73 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ok, wonder if any one else has this issue, because no one else that I know has ever had to deal with it. When ever I start working out AT ALL, my entire body starts to develope massive muscle knots, like dime size to quarter size in diameter. The knots are bad enough, but eventually the knots in my lower body start to tighten everything up so much that my ankles, knees, hips and lower back all start getting pulled out of alignment so much that I start getting pain, sometimes to the point I have to stop working out.

Here's what I'm doing so far; hydrating, stretching, yoga, foam roller/lacrosse ball, baths with epsom salt and I'm even starting regular massages. My big question is, is there ANYTHING I can do to help PREVENT the formation of all of these knots, because honestly, trying to work these knots out of my system once they've formed is taking more time and energy than my workouts! And it seems like no matter how much I do to work them out, the next day, the next workout, they're back and often bigger than they were before. Seriously, HELP!

Are these knots like cramps or just tight spots? Either way, I was getting knots/cramps in my left calf and my PT told me to take B vitamins. I started taking a daily vitamin made especially for women and I have not had those problems since.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    The alignment issues started up when I started running again. I knocked my hip BADLY out of alignment because my glutes/hip flexors had pulled so tight without my even realizing it. I took several months off, and then started up again. Same thing started happening so I started trying to manage it better. I'm three weeks in to P90X which I have done in the past. I switched over to try and give my legs a little bit of a break from the running. I literally have knots in almost every major muscle group, and they're so large I can feel them bouncing around as the foam roller works over them.

I am feeling much better as far as pain etc., but I am constantly having to manage my streching/foam rolling to keep from tightening up again. I teach at a high school that has an athletic trainer that helped me get my hips back where they belonged so I will consult with him again when school starts back up again in a week. I'm just thinking it can't be normal to have knots like this....

Edit: I am not doing long holds on the strech during a warm up, or even on major work out days. I do hold long stretches during Yoga, or during my recovery day.

Edit: I have been taking a daily multivitamin for a couple of months along with my workouts. My MIO has b-vitamins in it. Not sure how much it's doing, I just like the flavor, but I'm still getting the knots....
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Dynamic stretching is best prior to exercise, while static stretching is best when your body is warm, immediatley after exercising.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Bump.

Maybe I'm just a special butterfly with this one? Will check in with trainer at school, but would really like to hear from anyone that has had prior experience with this issue.

And thank you to all those who have replied so far :happy:
  • StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Dynamic stretching is best prior to exercise, while static stretching is best when your body is warm, immediatley after exercising.

This.

Also, while stretching is good for relaxing tight muscles, it isn't enough for the purpose of removing knots (adhesions). Doing self-myofascial release on a foam roller is a better way to get rid of the knots.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Regular deep tissue massages?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

This.

Also, while stretching is good for relaxing tight muscles, it isn't enough for the purpose of removing knots (adhesions). Doing self-myofascial release on a foam roller is a better way to get rid of the knots.

See, that's exactly my problem. I am doing ALL of that. I do dynamic stretching before my exercise. I do static stretching after my work out or on my recover day (sunday). I spend over an HOUR with a foam roller and lacrosse ball at least three times a week. And I still have knots, EVERYWHERE.

I'm not saying these things haven't improved my condition, because they've made a significant difference, but at some point I would like to not be one giant muscle knot. I don't know, maybe its normal to have this many knots all the time when working out this much?
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Regular deep tissue massages?

I'm thinking this might be my best bet.... I've only had the one massage so far. I'm scheduled for another one next week, and a third two weeks after that and then I'm planning on once a month for maintenance. But even the massuese (sp?) was shocked at how many knots I had all over my body. He was joking about the work out I was giving him!

I just can't help but think there's got to be something I can do so I don't develop all of these knots in the first place? :ohwell:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Have you had bloodwork done recently to see if you're deficient in anything? It wasn't happening during my workouts, but I was waking up with horrible cramps in my calves and sometimes my feet. My doctor had me start taking a D supplement because I was D deficient, and I stopped getting the cramps.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Have you had bloodwork done recently to see if you're deficient in anything? It wasn't happening during my workouts, but I was waking up with horrible cramps in my calves and sometimes my feet. My doctor had me start taking a D supplement because I was D deficient, and I stopped getting the cramps.

Hmmmm, I've never had any specific blood work done. I get the general cholesterol etc readings when I donate blood and those have always beens spot on. I am taking a good multivitamin so I wouldn't think that would be an issue, but it is an interesting thought. Might have to actually get in to see a doctor sometime soon, as of right now I don't even have a regular GP....
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I second a massage therapist, they'll actually be able to recommend specific stretches and how long you should be doing them as well.

Find one that is experienced in Sports and Deep Tissue massage. Although more modalities the better, Trigger Point would be great too and Myofascial Release.

Also whoever said holding a stretch for 20-30 seconds is dangerous, please cite references. I hold most peoples stretches for 60seconds + with zero ill effects, in fact it works better.
  • mmouse90
    mmouse90 Posts: 83
    Options
    I do the stretching, foam roller, and massage which was not enough and noticed taking a potassium supplement along with my mulit-vitamin helps. Eating bananas and other foods high in potassium was not enough I have to take the supplement. Without it I even wake up in the middle of the night with muscle cramps.
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You need to see your Dr. to have some blood work to see if you have any vitamin deficiencies.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Hmmmm, I've never had any specific blood work done. I get the general cholesterol etc readings when I donate blood and those have always beens spot on. I am taking a good multivitamin so I wouldn't think that would be an issue, but it is an interesting thought. Might have to actually get in to see a doctor sometime soon, as of right now I don't even have a regular GP....

Girrrrl, you need to get yourself a physical! (that's me in my mom voice) :smile: