Home Canning

Options
chercee
chercee Posts: 120 Member
Does anyone here do home canning/preserving? I'm interested in this, but I'm not sure about the "healthy" part of it. Part of me feels like it's probably healthier because I can control exactly what goes in everything, but on the other hand, I'm concerned about the salt, sugar (etc) that goes into canning and preserving.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure you can change the amount of salt that the canning recipes call for. The only exception would be in making pickles. Also most vegetables freeze well.
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm not a canner, but my mother is, and I'm sure you can find some lower salt/sugar recipes (I say this because that's the type of thing she makes as well). Lately she's been making batches and batches of this recipe, which is relatively low in sugar:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Slow-Cooker-Blueberry-Butter

I can testify from the jar in my fridge that it's delicious.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Just search for alternate recipes. Do not go changing the recipes by yourself or you could have an unsafe product to eat.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I would recommend freezing over canning if you want to do some lower sugar or lower salt options. It's a lot easier to freeze fresh vegetables and fruits than it is to can them properly without extra salt and/or sugar.
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I can the veggies we grow in our garden, make salsa, spaghetti sauce, jalapenos and pinto beans. if your just starting I recommend getting a ball blue book for canning. it will have recipes for special diets like low salt/sugar. I do not like salt so I usual do not add it unless I am making pickles.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments! I'm not looking to make a ton, but some relishes/pickles/sauces would be nice. I hate how much artificial garbage is in the pre-packaged stuff.
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I can peaches every summer.. going to do a batch this weekend!
    You can pack your peaches in very light, light, or medium syrup. I've always used very light.
    They are the absolute best in the cold dark winter, it's a little jar of sunshine.
    I've given some away before to friends as part of their christmas gift basket, and now I have standing orders.