Issues with Grip Strength on Deadlifts!

Options
Hey all :) I've recently upped my deadlift to 135, but I'm having a lot of trouble with losing grip on the bar. I normally wear gloves...I have baby hands and the crosshatches on the olympic bars tear them up some kinda bad!

Anyway. With this weight, I've had to take off the gloves and use chalk to even get a grip on the bar. I'm working on grip strength exercises, but in the meantime, I need suggestions on how to get a better grip on the bar. Do grip hooks/ropes help? Which is better? Should I suck it up with the chalk? (My gym is supposedly chalk-free, but typically, no one says anything if we don't make a mess...at least they didn't today when I used some).

Anyway. :) Hooks? Rope? Chalk? What's the best while I'm increasing grip strength??
Thanks in advance :))

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Are you using an overhand grip or a mixed grip? A mixed grip should allow you to not have any issues.

There are lots of things you can do to increase your grip strength.

More deadlifts and deadlift variations.
    Barbell/dumbbell shrugs.
    Farmer carries.
    Putting the safety bar at knee level and just picking up the barbell with weight and holding it for a count a few times.
    Barbell/dumbbell row variations.
    Etc.
  • whierd
    Options
    In the interim, I would suggest doing the deadlifts up until the weight that you are having issues with no assistance and then using wrist straps until your grip strength catches up.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Romanian deadlifts with a mixed grip at a higher weight than you can do a full deadlift will help a lot with this. I had a similar problem when I first started deadlifting, because I had hand surgery many years ago which made my right hand weaker than my left.
  • flexkyle
    flexkyle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe try wrist straps. They are a little different than gloves because they wrap around the bar several times. Hooks like you mentioned might help too.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Maybe try wrist straps. They are a little different than gloves because they wrap around the bar several times. Hooks like you mentioned might help too.

135 lbs is a bit early for straps I think. I would suggest a Mixted grip and also at the end of your normal deadlifts routine just try to hold the bar as long as possible.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Thanks, you all! :) I appreciate the input! I'll definitely be looking in to adding some variations in to my deadlift routine to assist in grip strength :)
  • tanyelacombe
    tanyelacombe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with around 140lbs. I knew I could go heavier, just could not hold on to the bar....Different people are going to have different results as to what they can handle on their grip strength. The mixed grip will help, however, I found I was once again struggling at 175lbs. I would suggest investing in some good straps. I found the ones that have the additional cushion around the wrist work super great...Once I started using the straps, I can easily do 245 lbs.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Try one hand under and one hand over for your grip. It helped me a lottttt
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    be careful with mixed grip, its a good way to tear your bicep.

If you want to increase your grip then do farmers walk.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    straps. But I think you shouldn't need them until you are lifting more weight. For guys, I think 400+ lbs is a good guideline for strap use. Not sure about girls, but probably somewhere around 225. For now, chalk and grip strength + forearm exercises.

When not strapped in, use a mixed grip! This is a big one.
  • whierd
    Options

Um...what?
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

never heard of a bicep tear with less than 600 lbs
  • StrongerThanThor
    StrongerThanThor Posts: 544 Member
    Options

do you know HOW unlikely that is?!? you could also pop a knee cap squatting, smash a barbell into your face while benching, get a back spasm, or break your neck for that matter.... get struck by lightning, run over by a car, kidnapped, held hostage next time you're at the bank..... GET THAT OUT OF YOUR BRAIN!!!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

do you know HOW unlikely that is?!? you could also pop a knee cap squatting, smash a barbell into your face while benching, get a back spasm, or break your neck for that matter.... get struck by lightning, run over by a car, kidnapped, held hostage next time you're at the bank..... GET THAT OUT OF YOUR BRAIN!!!

Agreed... also learn to pull the slack out of the bar noob.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love my wrist straps especially for heavy shrugs and I also have a round squeezy thing in the car that I'll frequently crank out 100 per hand to strengthen my grip. It actually gets me sweating a bit.
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    On torn biceps: I tore mine doing chin ups from the rafters. One never knows. I was 45 if that matters.
  • angelakriches
    Options
    I was having similar problems with grip on many lifts along with really bad wrist and forearm pain, grip giving out before I really worked target muscles. Have been doing forearm exercises and it's improving a lot :)