Antidepressant meds and weight

Options
I would like to make some myfitnesspal friends who are on anti-depressant drugs to share how they affect weight and fitness. I am recently taking medication and it's been really hard to deal with the side effects and still keep up with diet and exercise and I'd like some friends who would understand.

Replies

• Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I take antidepressants and my weight loss has pretty much stalled. Sigh. However, without them I'm kind of psychotic (I take them for anti-anxiety purposes) and when I tried to wean off on my own I almost had a public breakdown.

I will say that my desire to exercise since starting them has definitely waned, since before I used to love to exercise and now, even though I still love it, both during and after, getting myself to START is really, really hard.
  • macismom81
    Options
    I have bipolar, severe anxiety, panic attacks and am a recovering alcoholic. I am on xanex, wellbutrin, and zoloft. They want me on a mood stablizer but I won't do it because of the weight gain side effects. Although I should probably take them, the weight gain is kind of counterproductive since I get severely depressed when I gain weight. My brother is also on a lot of medications and it is so sad to see a guy that used to be so physically fit become a couch potato, zombie. Good luck with your goals! Maybe try to get on wellbutrin, its supposed to help you lose weight. It hasn't had that affect on me, but I'm never lucky enough to get the good side effects. LOL.