Food allergies and sensitivities

Options
stealv
stealv Posts: 20 Member
I am allergic to nuts and seeds and am currently having trouble eating milk and cheese, sometimes butter. Anyone else having to change their diet similar to this? (I've been eating nut and seed free for over a year now so used to it but this dairy thing is within the last month) It would be great to see anyone's diaries for ideas. Also allergic to avocado, banana, and cucumber ( I think more of an OAS for those) I'm sensitive to aspirin and just wondering if I'm sensitive to Salicylates :( sad day, I love all of these foods! Anyone have success changing their diets? Thank you!

Replies

• Crohns2013
    Crohns2013 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have celiac, so there is no wheat/gluten in my diet. I also react to oats, so no oats. I also have Crohn's which comes with its own challenges. I can't eat any solid food without stomach pain, but the worst offenders are rice and dairy, and I cannot eat seeds or nuts at all, ever. Veggies are too fiberous and cause major, ahem, bathroom issues the next day, so they're really limited too. But without rice/oats/gluten that cancels out almost all bread/crackers/cereal/pasta etc. so yeah, I feel your pain. I would tell you to check out my diary but there is a lot of liquid meals, it probably won't help you.
  • heidicalif
    heidicalif Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I don't have allergies myself, but my youngest son does. His allergies first appeared as an infant when he was being exclusively breatfed, so I did have to eliminate it from diet for a while as well. (Allergic to dairy, peanuts, egg, poppy seeds and millet, unable to tolerate any gluten or oats, told to avoid all soy, seeds, and nuts until age 2). There were many days I'd end up bawling because I was all out of ideas, so I'm sharing in hopes that you get at least one idea.

The majority of his diet is meat, veggies, and fruit. I add olive oil to his food when I can, and he loves balsamic vinegar, so they both go into a lot of stir frys. We do a lot of ground turkey, lean cuts of pork, and chicken. When I started being ale to use soy (low sodium gluten free) and honey it opened up a who,e new world of marinades to me.

Since he couldn't eat dairy, soy, or almond we gave him coconut yogurt. I have no idea how it compares, we just went with it since It was the best his in his allergist's mind. Now that he has outgrown his gluten issues we give him "Good Belly" probiotic juice (contains barley) when needed on top of the yogurt when hes sick. They have multiple fruit/veggie combos. The coconut yogurt is expensive, but you could always get a yogurt maker and make your own.

Some of our faves that take very little modification:

http://www.alexandracooks.com/2012/06/14/summer-squash-spaghetti/ (yummy w/o cheese)

http://www.thecomfortofcooking.com/2012/08/crock-pot-honey-sesame-chicken.html (We toss ALL of the sauce. The little bit that gets absorbed into the chicken is more than enough. No seeds for us, either.)

Ground Turkey: sloppy joes, meatloaf, burgers, and meatballs.

I can't find it now, but we have a terrayki pineapple pork marinade that we all love. Just soy sauce, pineapple juice, and a little brown sugar and garlic powder.

I find a lot of great things at Trader Joe's. I don't know what I'd do without them. Not only are they so much cheaper than WF, they make a really big effort to have truly allergy free alternatives. I tried to pick up sunflower seed butter once at WF and all 5 brands they carried contained peanuts. Grrrrrr!

Good luck to you and all food allergic/sensitive people!
  • stealv
    stealv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you both very much for your replies!! :)