Filling breakfast ideas

Options
Hi there just looking for some suggestions because I am starving before lunch time even after having breakfast, coffee and a snack! Right now I am having 1 1/2 cups corn pops with skim milk which I know isn't going to fill me up but the calories are pretty low (not the sugar though! :) and then I have a banana for a mid morning snack but I'm still hungry!
I know there are better lunch options but I need something quick and easy and lower in calories so any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• ericbjohnson
    Options
    Try oatmeal in the morning. One packet of instant oatmeal is around 160 calories and oatmeal is kinda like rice and expands in your stomach making you feel full. Add fruit to it to make the taste better and add more healthy calories.
  • Kazren
    Options
    I have two pieces of weight watchers danish brown bread toasted, with two one egg omelettes, just egg, no milk or butter, then about 20 / 30 grams of rice crispies with a little splash of milk, all together it comes around 300 kcal which is the best amount to kick start your metabolism for the day.
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    i like a cup of shredded mini wheat, with a cup of skim milk and a banana. about 350 calories, lots of fiber to fill you up. or measure out a cup of dry old fashioned oatmeal cook with water in microwave, then add 1/2 cup fat free milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and splenda for about 345. double fiber bread has 140 calories for two slices and then 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter to each slice and some sugar free jelly and a banana on the side for about 370 calories.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    go from 3 meals aday to 5-6 meals a day. I helps you graze all day. Just stay with in your daily amounts.
  • Kazren
    Options
    Is oatmeal, just porridge?
  • sgeorgia
    sgeorgia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    when I only eat cereal i'm always hungry fast too.
    some days I eat:

3 egg whites and 1 reg egg.
    2 slices of light wheat or english muffin
    large decaf ice coffee
    and some blueberries.

Or sometimes i'll have 2 cups of strawberries with whip cream (it's pretty low cal) and a hard boiled egg

Getting some bulky fruits and protein seems to help me...and lots of liquids!

hope it helps.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I find more calories serve me better in the mornings. I've been recently making a smoothie out of a cup of soymilk, a scoop of vanilla whey protein shake mix, a spoonful of peanut butter and about 1/2 a banana's worth of frozen banana chunks. It's about 300-350 calories but it fends off the tummy rumbles for a good amount of time :smile:

If you try this I hope it helps!
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast that makes me feel good and ready to go in the morning is: An eggbeater omelet made with 1/4 c. Eggbeater, 1 Tbsp. shredded low fat cheese, 1 slice low sodium turkey bacon, and a smear of taco sauce. I like to roll that into a Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortilla, then I have a small peach, and 1/2 c. 1 % milk fat cottage cheese.
    A good snack I enjoy in the morning is a Fiber One Chewy Bar (the oats and caramel is delicious).
    Lunch could be as simple as a Spinach and grilled chicken salad with 1/2 c. sliced strawberries and a little vinagrette.

When I first started this site it was hard for me to fight the cravings, sometimes water helped though. If you think you are hungry, drink water with lemon - that always seems to help me.
  • peralesmary
    peralesmary Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi There! what i do is i buy me a bag of sausage & jalepeno kolaches (frozen) and eat one for breakfast i usually wait till about 9 or so , so it could hold me over till lunch these have 190cal each and they always fill me up. For lunch ill do like a lean cuisne pizza 360cal or a Grilled chicken salad from burger king w/ Italian dressing (no croutons) for 400 cals. I look up everything i eat online or anything i think of eating. I always try and find fast foods nutritional menus or any resteraunt that im going to before i go and if i cant find their menu with nutrional info I don't eat it, this is just a habit for me now. GOOD LUCK!! :wink:
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Protein makes all the difference in the world. Try eggs, oatmeal with fruit and nuts, yogurt - again w/fruit and nuts, natural peanut butter on whole wheat, etc. Too much sugar will have you starving. Between your cereal and banana - that's a lot of sugar and no real nutritional value. Try to get the most nutrients out of the foods that you eat every day. And if possible, stay away from processed foods.
  • pxgabriel
    Options
    Try some protein, instead of carbs. Eggs? I have a half a chicken breast and half an apple for breakfast. eat the apple first with 2 cups of water. It keeps me full til lunch. I am a big eater too!
  • jennanostyle
    Options
    I'm always ready to eat my desk by 10am unless I get a decent protein source like low fat yogurt or eggs.
  • JulieC73
    Options
    I'd look for a cereal with a higher fiber content.
    Or just good old-fashioned oatmeal! 1/2 cup of oatmeal (regular not the quick oats) in a bowl with 1 cup boiling water, put a plate over the bowl and let it 'cook' for 10 mins. Here's 10 mins I use to put my make up on in the morning ;) Stir in a couple of tablespoons of unsweetened apple yum yum! Add some ground flex seed and or wheat germ if you like for added nutrients. I have this with a protein shake and I'm good for 3 hours!
  • hmmorgan
    Options
    In place of your current cereal choice, try organic rolled oats, a 100% whole grain bread or lower sugar cereal (kashi honey toasted or other similar types with low sugar, high fiber). You may have to lower portion sizes to get to calorie goal, but better quality food choices will be higher in fiber and protein and lower in sugar which will help you feel satisfied longer. Also, aiming for small to moderate portions of quality protein sources (egg whites, low fat string cheese, greek yogurt, lean sources of chicken/fish/turkey, low fat cottage cheese, etc) with each meal will help with hunger, as well. Hope this helps.
  • pxgabriel
    Options
    Jackie Warner says drinking lemon in your water helps you burn more calories. I use Minute Maid lemon juice, it is in the frozen juice department. It is in a blue box. I taste just like fresh squeezed not like real lemon that taste kind of like it has a lot of preserves in it. I just keep a bottle at my desk and squeeze a little into each glass of water I drink.
  • pxgabriel
    Options
    Oatmeal is even better if you use old fashioned oats. I just heat the water in the microwave and put the oats in and let it set for a while, it is just like boiling it on the stove.
  • shellishell
    Options
    *BUMP* I wish I liked oatmeal...hard to believe I don't like oatmeal but I like instant grits....LOL
  • JENROMERO
    JENROMERO Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was making smoothies, but realized I needed to EAT aka CHEW something. Drinking breakfast was not making me free like I had breakfast....a mind thing, I'm sure. So instead, I've started cutting up a medium banana, spooning over some light, fat free yogurt and then a sprinkling of sliced almonds. I even mixed in some Flax Meal for extra fiber. Total calories is about 240 and is nice and quick to prepare. Good luck!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    A breakfast burrito made with one smallish tortilla (90 cals) an scarmbled egg (100 cals) two pieces of center cut bacon (50 cals) and couple cubes of a red potato (50 cals) salsa (almost free) and you can make up a couple in adance to warm up.
    Other option, I heard Aunt Jemima breakfast sandwiches are yummy and only 250 cals.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Almost every morning I make myself an egg mcmuffin and it really keeps me full and it tastes great so it's satisfying!!

1 Thomas Better Start Light English Muffin (multi-grain)...i really like this kind because it has 8 grams of fiber
    1 oz of Hillshire Farm Lower Sodium Ham Slices
    1/2 slice of american cheese
    2 egg whites

I also add a serving of fruit or vegetables on the side, because i try to get some of those at every meal. Hope this helps!!!