question on sources of protein

Options
I was wondering if it mattered where I got my protein requirement from namely animal sources ( meat ) or vegetarian products( beans and others) as long as i'm getting all the protein I need?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    It only matters if you an allergy or sensitivity to certain foods, or if you have religious or other such reasons to not eat meat.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Sounds like good sources of protein. Looking at your diary your protein is fine, just keep an eye on your calories, some days are quite low.
  • KhaoticSoul
    Options
    Where you get your proteins from doesn't matter, the only thing you might have to watch is if you don't eat meat that you get the right proteins from alternative sources. The reason I say this was I read a vegan diet study in athletes recently, and they suggest that while proteins from sources other than meat are easily found, they tend to be incomplete sources, and you have to combine several to make sure you're getting the right balance.

Not saying this is true as I'm not vegan, but as i do know you can get all different essential amino acids, which are also known as incomplete proteins, so it did kind of make some sense.
  • vikramtag
    vikramtag Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It only matters if you an allergy or sensitivity to certain foods, or if you have religious or other such reasons to not eat meat.

Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

No restrictions of any kind. Its just not feasible to have meat all the time. No time to cook sometimes :)
  • vikramtag
    Options
    Where you get your proteins from doesn't matter, the only thing you might have to watch is if you don't eat meat that you get the right proteins from alternative sources. The reason I say this was I read a vegan diet study in athletes recently, and they suggest that while proteins from sources other than meat are easily found, they tend to be incomplete sources, and you have to combine several to make sure you're getting the right balance.

Not saying this is true as I'm not vegan, but as i do know you can get all different essential amino acids, which are also known as incomplete proteins, so it did kind of make some sense.

I get proteins from meat most of the time but sometimes its not possible. So i was wondering if vegan sources will do the job since I too read about them missing essential amino acids. Thank you !
  • Train2fitness
    Train2fitness Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    To get complete proteins you need to consume meat or soya beans. All other vegetables do not contain complete proteins. As long as you keep to lean cuts of meat you should be fine.
  • RichardFL
    Options
    If you are eating large amounts of protein in your diet, you will not have to worry much since you'll get enough of all essential amino acids. But if you are restricting calories or not eating a protein-heavy diet, you should learn about how to make sure you're getting all of your essential amino acids. Most vegetarian sources of protein are incomplete proteins, meaning they have a heavily skewed distribution of the essential amino acids. Fortunately, there are complementary proteins to make it pretty easy to make sure you're getting all of your amino acids. If you eat even a small portion of each complementary protein at any point in the day, you'll usually hit your required amino acid levels for the day.

Complementary protein groups:
    Legumes and grains
    Legumes and nuts
    Legumes and seeds (like flax seed)
    Grains and dairy
    Dairy and seeds
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Since it is my understanding you don't have a malabsorption issue, the concern I would express is make sure to eat a variety of protein sources to prevent a micro/macro nutrient deficiency. For vegetarian sources, I use tempeh, miso, natto, beans, besan flour, oatmeal, protein powder, broccoli, etc.

I would also suggest
    -- Make sure to include some fat (olive oil, coconut oil, glee, etc.) in all your meals to help your body absorb the fat soluble vitamins found in vegetarian sources.
  • vikramtag
    Options
    Since it is my understanding you don't have a malabsorption issue, the concern I would express is make sure to eat a variety of protein sources to prevent a micro/macro nutrient deficiency. For vegetarian sources, I use tempeh, miso, natto, beans, besan flour, oatmeal, protein powder, broccoli, etc.

I would also suggest
    -- Make sure to include some fat (olive oil, coconut oil, glee, etc.) in all your meals to help your body absorb the fat soluble vitamins found in vegetarian sources.

I eat egg whites SURELY in my breakfast which is my post workout meal ..and chicken breast or fish for dinner..my only concern is the other 2 meals where I might lack non-vegetarian sources of protein
  • vikramtag
    Options
    If you are eating large amounts of protein in your diet, you will not have to worry much since you'll get enough of all essential amino acids. But if you are restricting calories or not eating a protein-heavy diet, you should learn about how to make sure you're getting all of your essential amino acids. Most vegetarian sources of protein are incomplete proteins, meaning they have a heavily skewed distribution of the essential amino acids. Fortunately, there are complementary proteins to make it pretty easy to make sure you're getting all of your amino acids. If you eat even a small portion of each complementary protein at any point in the day, you'll usually hit your required amino acid levels for the day.

Complementary protein groups:
    Legumes and grains
    Legumes and nuts
    Legumes and seeds (like flax seed)
    Grains and dairy
    Dairy and seeds

Thank you !! I used to feel the same way and count on nutrition as a whole day so that one meal deficiency is compensated in the next