Can I do this with being all in?

blackcows15
blackcows15 Posts: 26 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So here is my situation, I am 6' 2" and weigh 230 pounds, I am 46 years old and can honestly say I have never been on a diet or tried to eat healthy at any time in my life. I don't consider myself "fat" (whatever that subjective term may mean) but I do have a beer belly that I would like to loose. I have set my goal at 200 pounds, a 30 pound weight loss. I like technology and being a type A person the MFP app fits me well, I can quanttify what I am doing.

I have been using MFP for just a few days and I really like the app but if I have to be honest I don't know that I have the time to be all in. I work out of the house so during the week it is easy for me to control what I eat and also easy for me to add to MFP but during the weekends we go out as a family and it's not as easy to add to MFP. For example we went to a local pizza place last night and it wasn't in the database so I just picked something close and added that. Same situation goes for work, I travel for work and when I am out (3 - 4 nights a month) I don't have time to add to the data base at supper to see what works so I will probably just guess something close.

I have given up soda, I used to drink a 12 pack a week and now I drink none. Working at home means I was always going to the fridge to snack during the day, not because I was hungry but more out of habit. Now when I want to do that I think, no I don't want to use any of my calories for the day so I pass. In that sense I think MFP will help me a lot, it makes me think about what I eat. So my question is this....can I do this without being all in? Can I make this work if some meals are just a guess as to calories?

Replies

• HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    I was at a restaurant last week, and asked the waitress how many calories were in the meal I just had. She came out with the manager, who told me the calorie content and she uses MFP too.

As long as you have your phone with you, you should be able to get a good idea. I think just being aware of what you are eating in general, is going to help.

And I agree with not drinking soda. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Ok, step out of your type A box for a minute and take a deep breath....

Now, realize that EVERY calorie you log is only an estimate. It doesn't mean you're not all in. It just means that diet/calories/nutrition is an imperfect science. You're never gonna know EXACTLY how many calories you consume or burn, it's just the nature of the beast.
  • hikr00
    hikr00 Posts: 38 Member
    Like anything in life if you want it badly enough you'll make it happen so it's really up to you.
This discussion has been closed.