Meal Plans???

Options
Well firstly yes I am obviously either lazy or stupid!! BUT I really need help and motivation for some meal plans. Fairly basic ones (as I am not much of a cook!!) and normal non fancy.

I work part time and have 2 very full on boys and a husband that sometimes works away. Everytime I DO find a meal plan it is not exactly your simple realistic food plan.

I need ideas and 1200 calories a day. I have been dieting off and on the last couple of years (using MFP) but of late have been very slack andn starting to pile on the weight.

Any directions to plans would much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Wendy

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Get some frozen vegetables. The big bags with many different types of veggies. You could use them in just about everything. Also try foster farms chicken strips, turkey ham, frozen chicken nuggets, fish sticks....all just need to be heated proteins. Quick snacks can be any granolas, peanut butter, almonds anything really. You don't need a strict meal plan you just need healthy meal options you can add into your life.

p.s. 1200 calories is likely not enough food. Make sure you are taking your multi vitamins.
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been to Mongolian Grill? Or one of those Japanese restaurants where they cook the food in front of you?

Notice they don't use water to cook vegetables. They just throw them on the heat surface.

So I pulled out my nonstick pan one day, poured a little oil in it and started chucking in vegetables. Right at the end, I added a little Mandarin Sauce. When I'm making it for my whole family, I'll put mine out before adding grilled chicken and noodles. In the Asian section of the grocery store, they have the noodles already cooked. KAME brand is what I use. Just rip open the pack and toss it in at the very end.

It doesn't take much sauce to get the flavor in there and the calories aren't horrible. Since then, I stopped using oil altogether. Don't even need it. I just start cutting my veggies up and tossing them in. I cook them between medium and high heat. They kind of steam each other themselves.

I buy a ton of vegetables and then cut them up and put them in containers when I get home. Then I'm not tempted to eat something else because I don't want to cut the veggies up. And it only takes less than 10 mins. to stir fry them. If you have a food processor, that will really save on your cutting time.

There are several Asian sauces, for example, Orange, General Tso's, Hoisin, Terriyaki.

Also, I do the same thing, but add Gnocchi or bite size pasta, and some spaghetti sauce. I take mine out again, before I put the pasta in. Or I use pesto sauce.

It's a great way to really get a lot of vegetables in, and I've been trying all kinds of vegetables. I find if I cut them up small enough, it's hard to distinguish which ones I'm eating.

Kale, Bok Choy, Spinach, Carrots, Broccoli, Tons of asparagus, red/yellow/orange/green peppers, mushrooms, onion, zucchini, squash, etc. It has so much color in the pan. And I got my kids to eat it too.
  • testoxl
    testoxl Posts: 1
    Options
    I am not confirm regarding my diet. I would have been on a strict “cutting diet”, i.e. packed with lean meats for protein, and no “empty carbs”, i.e. all junk food will have to be avoided. Also to be avoided are all fruits, fruit juices, rice, pasta, bread. Eat lots of leafy greens. Aim for high fibre food, high protein food, and healthy fats, with lots of protein. Thanks for the article. I am using a supplement which i bought from here. http://testoxl.org . Will you please tell me this nutrition is right for me or not? Thanks for the article.
  • tannyb
    tannyb Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been to Mongolian Grill? Or one of those Japanese restaurants where they cook the food in front of you?

Notice they don't use water to cook vegetables. They just throw them on the heat surface.

So I pulled out my nonstick pan one day, poured a little oil in it and started chucking in vegetables. Right at the end, I added a little Mandarin Sauce. When I'm making it for my whole family, I'll put mine out before adding grilled chicken and noodles. In the Asian section of the grocery store, they have the noodles already cooked. KAME brand is what I use. Just rip open the pack and toss it in at the very end.

It doesn't take much sauce to get the flavor in there and the calories aren't horrible. Since then, I stopped using oil altogether. Don't even need it. I just start cutting my veggies up and tossing them in. I cook them between medium and high heat. They kind of steam each other themselves.

I buy a ton of vegetables and then cut them up and put them in containers when I get home. Then I'm not tempted to eat something else because I don't want to cut the veggies up. And it only takes less than 10 mins. to stir fry them. If you have a food processor, that will really save on your cutting time.

There are several Asian sauces, for example, Orange, General Tso's, Hoisin, Terriyaki.

Also, I do the same thing, but add Gnocchi or bite size pasta, and some spaghetti sauce. I take mine out again, before I put the pasta in. Or I use pesto sauce.

It's a great way to really get a lot of vegetables in, and I've been trying all kinds of vegetables. I find if I cut them up small enough, it's hard to distinguish which ones I'm eating.

Kale, Bok Choy, Spinach, Carrots, Broccoli, Tons of asparagus, red/yellow/orange/green peppers, mushrooms, onion, zucchini, squash, etc. It has so much color in the pan. And I got my kids to eat it too.

Great suggestions - gives me ideas to try, as I'm not such a great cook.
  • wendywoo68
    wendywoo68 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks my lovelies but what I am really looking for is some sort of printable 7 day plan with all my meals on it.....YES I know lazy!! I detest breakfast so struggle with that!! Normally end up with a sandwich at lunch (with crisps of late). The normal family dinner and then my downfall is sitting in front of the tv when the kids have gone to bed and drinking half a bottle of Shiraz and then picking at sweets and savouries!!!!
  • jdad1
    Options
    Thanks my lovelies but what I am really looking for is some sort of printable 7 day plan with all my meals on it.....YES I know lazy!! I detest breakfast so struggle with that!! Normally end up with a sandwich at lunch (with crisps of late). The normal family dinner and then my downfall is sitting in front of the tv when the kids have gone to bed and drinking half a bottle of Shiraz and then picking at sweets and savouries!!!!

I am sorry but your being ridiculous. You can't ask someone else that knows nothing about you to put together a meal plan for you. We know nothing about your budget, your food preferences, how many people you’re feeding, what stores you have near you and a whole lot more. If you want a meal plan like that and you actually want to stick to it (which i don't agree with) then you need to put one together for yourself. Just keep in mind that you will likely not be able to stay on it forever so any weight loss will come back. Find good foods you can add to your lifestyle and make real changes you can sustain long term.
  • stephrivas84
    stephrivas84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would say look up crock pot ideas. I love just putting stuff in a pot in the am and coming home to dinner ready. It also makes a lot that can be spread out over the week or freeze for later
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    7 day meal plan? You call that lazy? That sounds like a lot of work.

That's a lot more work than having food easily available to cook up quick.
  • jdad1
    Options
    I would say look up crock pot ideas. I love just putting stuff in a pot in the am and coming home to dinner ready. It also makes a lot that can be spread out over the week or freeze for later

Be careful with advice from faceless gray aliens. They could be trying to get us to taste a certain way so they can concur the planet and eat us.
  • wendywoo68
    Options
    Okkkkkkkkkkkk so I found one that was pretty applicable to me and my family.... hoooraaaahhhhh
    http://www.nowloss.com/1500-calorie-diet-plans.htm
  • wendywoo68
    Options
    I think thats a bit harsh and certainly NO need to be so rude!! AND actually I have found one THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!