Loose vs Lose

Options
moxleymama6
moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
Now, I'm not a "loose" woman, but I do want to lose weight.

loose [loos] Show IPA adjective, loos·er, loos·est, adverb, verb, loosed, loos·ing.
adjective
free or released from fastening or attachment: a loose end.
free from anything that binds or restrains; unfettered: loose cats prowling around in alleyways at night.
uncombined, as a chemical element.
not bound together: to wear one's hair loose.
not put up in a package or other container: loose mushrooms.

lose [looz] Show IPA verb, lost, los·ing.
verb (used with object)
to come to be without (something in one's possession or care), through accident, theft, etc., so that there is little or no prospect of recovery: I'm sure I've merely misplaced my hat, not lost it.
to fail inadvertently to retain (something) in such a way that it cannot be immediately recovered: I just lost a dime under this sofa.
to suffer the deprivation of: to lose one's job; to lose one's life.
to be bereaved of by death: to lose a sister.
to fail to keep, preserve, or maintain: to lose one's balance; to lose one's figure.

Replies

• mjmlodge
    mjmlodge Posts: 24
    Options
    hahahhaha my pet peeve as well :P
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Dead horse is dead.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    New people on here all the time. Nothing wrong with a bit of education.
  • lcantrell65
    lcantrell65 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    This cracked me up. It drives me crazy as well. However, after reading your definitions for "loose", maybe I will start to overlook and forgive their errors. I do want my jeans to be "looser". There are days that I feel bound by my weight. It sometimes prevents me from doing the things I want to do (or at least from doing them as well as I want to do them). So, I would like to be "loosed" from the bonds of being overweight.

So....here's to LOSING so that I may experience more LOOSENESS in my life!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Lovelovesme
    Lovelovesme Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Urban Dictionary

1. Spelling Nazi
    A person who freaks out when a little spelling mistake has occurred or has be a constant little %!*hole about it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yes, because this isn't the 10,000th time this thread has been posted this year...
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well, I can imagine that some people feel irritated by a text like that of the OP, but I am really grateful...

I'm not a native English speaker.. My first language was Dutch, and my second was French, so I was already 15 before I started learning English.
    And each time I want to write down lo(o)sing weight, I felt confused... Was is loosing or losing?
    But now I know: losing is 'verliezen', loosing is 'losser worden'...
    Thank you OP!
  • ramshareen
    Options
    oh grammar??? I will stay away from this thread :ohwell:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    In for dead horse gifs
    beating-dead-horse2.gif
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I still don't get it
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Why did you choose to post this in "Success Stories"? This is typically a place where people come to celebrate their accomplishments, not be berated for incorrect use of the English language.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!