Getting so depressed!!

Options
Yesterday I had a smoothie for b.fast and one for lunch. For dinner I had 10 steamed shrimp, 1 cup of mix veggies, 1/4 cup white rice and a salad. For snack a cup of grapes...not even 1,000 calories. I got on the scale and I gained a pound. I just don't know what to do anymore. I think I will just remain heavy all my life. what is the point in trying.....Sorry just needed to vent to others that understand. I am in continued prayer.

Replies

• Widadita
    Widadita Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You're eating too many few calories. You should calculate how many calories you need a day and stick with it.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You stepped on the scale after you had eaten? Why lol.

Weigh yourself first thing in the morning after you have emptied your bladder and on an empty stomach. Do it daily and work out the average over the week. Water weight will go up and down so no need to panic. Take pictures, take measurements changes happen in the mirror not the scales.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    You did not get overweight with one bad meal, so one good meal isn't going to turn you into a supermodel. Patience is your best council. Weight loss is not linear, it's not going to fall off anywhere quick as you want it to.

I would also suggest eating more than 1,000 calories. Your mood and energy will improve and thus you won't feel like giving up so much.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    If you really calculated correctly, then you are eating too few calories.
    Yesterday I ate:
    Large bowl of muesli with added flax, chia and nuts/skim milk/prune juice/honeydew melon
    Large bowl of broccoli, brussel sprouts, sardines/olive oil
    2 sourdough pretzels with 4 tablespoons peanut butter, honeydew melon
    Numerous glasses of water and tea
    Calories 1748

I'm 5'2" and weigh 122 lbs.

ETA -I'm 59 1/2 years old
  • robin949598
    robin949598 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I agree with not eating enough calories. Our brain tricks us into thinking "if I eat less, I will lose more". If you eat too little, your body will go into starvation mode and want to hang onto the weight. When I first started, my calorie goal was 1200 calories. I have since upped that to 1440 and am feeling much better and losing faster. Plus any exercise that I do allows me more calories to eat. Try it-you will be surprised. I was.
  • Drej3735
    Drej3735 Posts: 12
    Options
    Sometimes it's not what you eat, it's how you often you eat..even tho you consumed less than 1,000 calories. Try to eat every few hours which will help speed up your metabolism which in turn will help in your wieght loss goals..it's all a process DON'T BE DISCOURGED..the bodywieght will go up & down a few lbs. from day to day sometimes..that's NORMAL! Good Luck
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Your profile says your 58 -- weight loss tends to go slower as we get older. I'm 50, work out 5-6 days a week, eat 1420 cals/day (baseline) and I'm losing about 2-3 lbs a month. It's slow going. I've hit plateaus that.lasted over a month. But I've permanently shed 25 lbs of FAT from my body.

Just try it for a month - measure yourself first -- bust, waist, hips, thigh. Get some exercise sin most days or just move more. Eat the cals you figured through MFP plus at least some of your exercise cals earned. Best of luck.
  • DarthKity
    Options
    lol eat more and weigh in less:flowerforyou:
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not what you eat, it's how you often you eat..even tho you consumed less than 1,000 calories. Try to eat every few hours which will help speed up your metabolism which in turn will help in your wieght loss goals.

I just wanted to point out that meal timing has nothing to do with metabolism. Eating breakfast won't start your metabolism and eating frequently will not lead to more weight loss. You could eat a 2000 calorie meal once a day and as long as that is less than your TDEE you will lose the same amount of weight as you would of if you split those calories into 6 meals.

OP,

Why are you torturing yourself by eating so little? You need a lot more than 1000 calories in a day. Not consuming enough daily will lead to more muscle loss.

Also, don't weigh yourself often. Once a week at most. Never weigh daily if you are going to freak out over the changes. Weight will naturally change regardless of how you eat, how much you exercise, etc. You won't lose every week.

Weigh yourself once a month if one time you gain is getting you depressed.

Increase your calories. Weigh in less. Relax.