newbie runner

Options
so i have been walking everyday for awhile now and while out on my walk the other day i just randomly started running! wow did it feel great! i did short bursts of running along with walking.
this morning i went out and i would find a landmark like a telephone pole and say im going to run for 2 telephone poles and then walk for a bit or im going to run the length of this street and walk the next. i figure if i do this i can up my distances like running for 3 telephone poles next time?
is this how i should start out? i am so clueless about running i have never even thought about it it just kinda happened. i just know it feels great and i would like to continue!
please help any running advice would be great!

Replies

• LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I'm not very experienced but what you're doing sounds like a really good idea!
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I am not an expert runner by no means but this is basically how I started out too and pretty much what the c25k program does. I started off running a minute, walking a minute. Now I can run for 25 minutes or 2 miles without having to walk. Good luck to you :)
  • tcmom72
    tcmom72 Posts: 32
    Options
    You are doing great. Check out coolrunning.com and the couch to 5K program. It's great. I am on week 6 and ran 22 minutes at 5 mph yesterday.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I started a few days ago and done the same thing, but with trees :)

If I make it past two trees, great. Next day I go for three or four threes, and so on :)

It has been working great so far and even done an extra lap today!!

It's an easy way of keeping tabs on your progress.
  • denacutrone
    Options
    do you guys run everyday? or just a few times a week? i figure im going to try to get out there everyday if i feel like i can and worse case scenario i end up walking if im not up for running
  • Superfantastic
    Options
    I run five days a week. You do need some rest days mixed in to keep let your muscles rebuild and keep from getting injured.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    do you guys run everyday? or just a few times a week? i figure im going to try to get out there everyday if i feel like i can and worse case scenario i end up walking if im not up for running

When you're just getting started it's best to go every other day. Until your body gets used to it. I would walk one day and walk/run the next. Listen to your body, and make sure you have good shoes. Get fitted at a running store, it will save you a lot of aches, pains and headaches!! Check out the Couch to 5K program, it really works!!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider a c25k program because they are very organized with a clear goal in mind, 30 mins of running or 5k. But if using telephone poles does it for you then continue.

But since you are new to running I suggest running every other day until you are up to 5k distance. Then 4 days a week until you comfortably carry 20 miles a week, then add a day again. When you are starting out you are more likely to get injured with too many consecutive days of running. You need to build up your base first. You can still excercise on non running days, just choose something lower impact.

I tried running a couple of times in the past (c25k varriation) and I finally got up to 5k distance in Jume of 2012 and now I'm working on training for my 3rd and 4th half marathons. Getting started is the hard part, but once you've got a good base, it's not as hard to improve.

You're off to a good start! Keep it up!
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're on the right track. The key is setting incremental goals for yourself on a weekly basis. It seems like that's what you're doing. Good luck.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider a c25k program because they are very organized with a clear goal in mind, 30 mins of running or 5k. But if using telephone poles does it for you then continue.

But since you are new to running I suggest running every other day until you are up to 5k distance. Then 4 days a week until you comfortably carry 20 miles a week, then add a day again. When you are starting out you are more likely to get injured with too many consecutive days of running. You need to build up your base first. You can still excercise on non running days, just choose something lower impact.

I tried running a couple of times in the past (c25k varriation) and I finally got up to 5k distance in Jume of 2012 and now I'm working on training for my 3rd and 4th half marathons. Getting started is the hard part, but once you've got a good base, it's not as hard to improve.

You're off to a good start! Keep it up!

Your story sounds very similar to mine. Congrats on the half marathons and keep up the good work.
  • denacutrone
    Options
    thank you for all the great advice!! heading out today to get some appropriate shoes!