How to go higher...

I am trying to maintain for a while before I make the last push to lose just 10 more pounds or so. I've upped my calories slowly to avoid gaining, but I confess I've probably eaten too little at some times over the past several months, and I think I'm maintaining at like 1700-1800 calories. Far too few for me, 180 pound male, exercising daily. 3 days a week of 45 minutes of cardio, 3 days a week of lifting plus 20 minutes of cardio.

So, I'm going to make an effort to eat a full 2000 calories per day at least. I've read that post that says I'll gain a bit of glycogen at first (or whatever it's called), but I hope to then level off. Question is, how far up do I let the scale go before I stop and cut back again, if it's really just too many calories for me right now? If I go up to 185, is that too much? 190 before leveling off?

Yes, it makes me nervous to gain a little, as I've worked hard to lose all these pounds.

PS, this is a serious question - please give me some serious answers. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    185 should be fine as an upper trigger point. Are you maintaining at 1,700?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    whiskey takes you higher.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    I am maintaining my 5'7", 145lb frame at 1950 net calories. It is my opinion, you can eat a lot more calories. I believe the sedentary net calorie amount for a 180lb frame is 2400.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    So have you been eating around 1700 for a few weeks and maintaining? Or why do you think those are your maintenance calories? I'd up calories slowly, maybe eat 1900 for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Hopefully you get some good replies on increasing your maintenance calories! Good luck !