Question about calories

Options
I am having a touch time, haven't been losing. So I did a little research and I think that I MFP may have me at too low of calories. I did the calculations and it is off like 500 calories. I excerise, either eliptical or treadmill 4-5 days a week. I have an office job. What are your thoughts in maybe increasing my calories each day??? Thanks for your advise in advance :)

Replies

• RichardFL
    Options
    You didn't provide any information or open your diary for others to see, so here's some completely generic information that may or may not be related to your specific concern.

If you've been eating back 100% of your exercise calories, try eating back only 50% of them for a couple weeks. MFP may be overestimating the amount of calories you burn. After a month or more, readjust based on the actual results you've seen.

If you increased the amount of exercise you're doing in the past few weeks, it is extremely common to put on weight. The extra weight is mostly just glycogen and water temporarily stored to give you more stamina during your workouts. Give it a few more weeks and the scale will eventually show the results you've already achieved.
  • tracylmcgrath
    tracylmcgrath Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to open my diary...lol MFP gives me 1200 calories a day, I have a fitbit and usually it says that I earn 500-600 calories, I know that is high, so I don't eat that extra amount. I keep reading that if you are not getting enough calories, you won't lose weight, you may even gain. I am just trying to get the right balance.

Thanks for the information.

Tracy
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Everyone that has posted on this thread thus far is a faceless gray alien. I am scared. Are you aliens having a meeting that i accidentally ran into and now you are going to turn me into a meal? Are you just using MFP so you can see what i have been eating and use that info to calculate my caloric value for your dinner? Gray faceless alien people scare me.
  • stephrivas84
    stephrivas84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Everyone that has posted on this thread thus far is a faceless gray alien. I am scared. Are you aliens having a meeting that i accidentally ran into and now you are going to turn me into a meal? Are you just using MFP so you can see what i have been eating and use that info to calculate my caloric value for your dinner? Gray faceless alien people scare me.

:)
  • jdad1
    Options

:)

aww crap!!!
  • tracylmcgrath
    Options
    Jdad1 never once did I say that I was scared! I was asking for peoples thoughts and opinions.
  • jdad1
    Options
    Jdad1 never once did I say that I was scared! I was asking for peoples thoughts and opinions.

I guess you don't get my joke. I was joke joking about no one in the thread having a picture.
  • tracylmcgrath
    Options
    Ooopss!!!! My bad! Sorry.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I would go with what the fitbit says until you know how accurate the figures it gives are. Assuming the linking works the same way as for bodymedia, eat back those 500-600 exercise calories for a few weeks. Depending on how long you've been in a deficit for, you might as an alternative (or if you still aren't losing after the adjustment period of increasing calories) want to throw in a maintenance day or two and/or an exercise break.
  • tracylmcgrath
    Options
    Thank you :)