Has anybody done the couch to 5k challenge?

Options
Hi everyone,

Firstly I hope everyone is enjoying their weight loss journey. You're all doing great.
Has anyone completed the couch to 5k at all.
Any tips and successes?

Thanks

Replies

• Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I did it last year then just stopped, was bad of me, its a great program, I've restarted and am on week 5 now :-)

I repeated weeks if i wasn't happy with them, take it easier if you need to
  • Superfantastic
    Options
    I did and it worked great for me. My tip is to sign up right now for a 5k that's just after you finish the program. That way you have the added motivation and accountability to finish the program. Also, go to a running store and get fit for shoes. The right shoes go a long way toward keeping you comfortable and preventing injury. Plus, going through the fitting process helps you start to see yourself as a runner.
  • nznatural
    nznatural Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I finished earlier this year, and I'm now onto training for my first half marathon (eeee!).

My one bit of advice is to trust the program - there were so many times early on that I doubted I would be able to complete all the running segments. But I amazed myself everytime by not only completing them, but by actually sticking to it and finishing the entire challenge.

It was definitely worth it for me - good luck with your journey!!
  • UNLESS19
    UNLESS19 Posts: 118
    Options
    i've not done it but i'm thinking of doing it if you want to motivate/friend each other? :)
    <3
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    I finished earlier this year, and I'm now onto training for my first half marathon (eeee!).

My one bit of advice is to trust the program - there were so many times early on that I doubted I would be able to complete all the running segments. But I amazed myself everytime by not only completing them, but by actually sticking to it and finishing the entire challenge.

I've signed up for a half in March!!! scarey isn't it?!!!
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I know so many people who have done this and I have as well. Best thing I've ever done for myself. When I first started, I was considered obese, and it was so hard. Not fun. Made me feel like a loser, but I was amazed with how quickly I progressed. Give it a go!
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hiya I've just done the first week, It wasn't as scary as I thought lol.... You should try it, if it gets uncomfortable I'll take it back a week until I feel ready to move forward :)
  • Rilzy
    Rilzy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey. I completed Couch to 5K about 3 years ago I think. I tried it for a week before I realized that running put too much stress on my knees. So I modified it to sort of make my work out interval, during the running segments I tried to move a bit faster. Even with just doing that in addition to light weights at the gym, I was the slimmest I've ever been.
    I completely recommend it.
  • kinzytg
    kinzytg Posts: 42
    Options

This above for sure. I did it and I keep running. I do wish I would have bought my rather inexpensive heart rate monitor watch with the timer earlier, when I first started. Also, when I got to the weeks with more complicated run/walk scedules I wrote them on athletic tape with a Shapie and put it on my watch, helped me remember what to do!
  • DoctorHuman
    Options
    Wow! That is amazing. Thank you all for your advice. I think I will definitely start this and also check out a 5k that is going on once I have completed the program. I'm really looking forward to it. A little worried to go out for the first time though. But I'm just going to go for it :-) thank you all for your advice.

Xx
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    My advice is run SLOW. And by slow I mean slow, like you could walk faster slow. Speed will come later, for now work on your endurance.

If this is an option go to a running store. They will watch you walk and have you try on running shoes based on your gait. A good pair of shoes makes a huge difference and most people need a professional to help them find a good pair of shoes.

Trust the program and try each run if it comes up. Even if you think you can't do it and struggled the week before. Just slow down and pace yourself. However if you really can't do it, there is no shame at all in repeating a day or a week.

Edit for horrible spelling and grammar.

Good luck and you can do it! There is also a great group that provides awesome support and information if you search c25k in groups and a great thread that keeps resurfacing here for people to update on their progression and support each other.
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    I'm in the process of doing the Zombies, Run 5k training app (it's available for both Android and iPhone - I'm about to finish up Week 3 today). It's the same thing as a couch to 5K, but it has a story line that slowly progresses each week. I love it. I can easily lose my motivation, but the story on the app makes me want to find out what happens next. Only way to do that is to keep on training!
  • DoctorHuman
    Options
    That's such great advice. Thank you all so much. Will refe
    r to the other boards too :-) and look at the Zombies app xx
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I've started time and time again, but THIS go around is for true. I'm gonna finish it, even if my feet fall off. The program is great from what I've experienced in the past. Good luck to you OP and everyone else who is still in the works.