Ab workout for back support

SToast
SToast Posts: 255 Member
So I've just started doing inversions and forearm stands in my pole class and I find that I am killing my lower back. My abs are weak and it's causing me to use my low back for all my support. What are some entry level ways to start strengthening my abs so I don't end up with a back injury?

Replies

• eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Well, I'm not a doctor or a PT, so I don't really know about injury safety. I've started doing back extensions at my gym. They have that piece of equipment that you rest your thighs against so your body is at a diagonal and your head is facing the floor, but your torso bends towards the ground at an angle. Then you lift your torso up so your body is horizontal. I love them for my lower back.
  • Try planks! They are great for strengthening your core. My mother has some back issues and her PT has her do planks to increase her core strength and take some of the stress off of her back.

Start at 30 secs and work your way up.
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Stomach vacuums. Can be done anywhere, at any time, in any body position.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ms-fit5.htm

It's important to strengthen the transverse abdominals, the "belt" of muscle that rings your inner core. The benefits will translate to squats, deads, pullups...pretty much any exercise really.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    you could try some actual back exercises....low rows, deadlifts, bent over row (dumbbell or barbell), lat pulldown, etc...