5'5 and at your goal weight.

Options
I'm feeling a little overwhelmed today with the amount of weight I have to lose. I'm 5'5 and currently 220. I have been overweight all my life. I was an overweight child which I'm sure had something to do with the fact I was raised by my grandparents. My grandmother is an amazing cook and shows her love with food. I'm sure that when she was a child food was scarce and she never wanted her children to go without. I remember her telling me that they received homemade candy once a year on Christmas and it was so exciting for her. I believe she wanted her children and grandchildren to feel that excitement all the time. She wanted us to feel loved so she would feed us until we were about to burst. Anything and everything I wanted was handed to me without any advice on self control or portion control for that matter. As a child I absolutely loved cake icing. My favorite was the kind that had the sprinkles in it and I can distinctly remember her handing me the entire tub with a spoon and letting me dig in. All throughout school, elementary through highschool I was so ashamed of my weight and so unhappy with myself. I still am. I have seen many people who have succesfully lost weight say that they felt as if they were wearing a fat suit. I just wish I could unzip this disgusting part of myself and step out the person that I dream of being. I know its not that easy. Its just that it seems as if it is impossible for this to be gone from me and I was hoping some people would be willing to share their success stories and how long it took them to get to where they are. And any advice on how you got there would be greatly appreciated. I've attempted this so many times without success. I need to do this and I need to do this now.

Replies

• BeautifullyB
    BeautifullyB Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I understand how you feel. Over the years I have done countless crash diets, I have finally realized that if I want to lose the weight and keep it off, I have to do it in a healthy manner. I'm also 5'5, I haven't reached my goal yet but I'm the process. Some days I am so frustrated with my lack of progress but I keep going.
    The only advice I can give you is to log in everyday even when you have an awful day! Drink plenty of water. Take it one day at a time, soon you'll see your body getting smaller.
    Best of luck to you!
  • debbecake
    debbecake Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My highest ws 217. I "tried" off and on for a couple years to diet but then finally in 2011 I got serious and dropped a little more than 30 lbs by logging my food and starting to move. I was down by August but not sure exactly when I started. We have a gym at work so I pretty much did the elliptical every day at lunch. If I didn't feel like that, I walked outside. Last year I got serious again and started trying to run and got back to logging my food. By Christmas I was down to 159. Right now I'm holding around 162-165 and so I am back at it. I'm concentrating more on building muscle and sculpting what I have than the scale. This all took me a while but that's because I didn't stay consistent with my logging. That really is the key. It's amazing when you start seeing how many calories are in what you used to eat. I always log the food before I eat it which has made me decide against eating a lot of things. Once you see it in black and white, it doesn't look worth it. Most days I try to plan the whole day including snacks and log it all in the morning. If something goes bad during the day, I can tweak my dinner or snacks to cut some calories. You have to plan ahead and log everything consistently. Do that and start moving and the weight will start falling off. I took a lot of breaks which is aggravating to think of where I'd be now if I hadn't. Don't look at the big picture and get overwhelmed. Set small goals. I just wanted under 200 and then under 190 and so on...Feel free to add me if you want. I have some pics on there. I'd be glad to help you on your journey. You can do it!! Just focus! :)
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I totally understand the overwhelming feeling. I am also 5'5. I started at 277 lbs. It felt VERY daunting. I had over 100 lbs to lose. I didnt even think I could do it. My original goal was 220 just to "see if i can do it". Well today I weigh 154. I started in February 2012 so about 18 months ago. I took it small goal by small goal. First I wanted to be at prepregnancy weight, then marriage weight, then college weight, then i wanted to see 199 because I hadn't seen my weight start with a "1" in 14 years. Then I just wanted to get to 177 so i could say that I lost 100 lbs. Now my goal is 140 and I think that will be final. But yes, I didnt look at the overall picture because that would have been wanting to lose almost 140 lbs! I would have given up if i looked at it like that. Just take it step by step. I got so excited to see new "decades" (when the scale would say 269 or 259 or 249, etc.). I also was very motivated by clothes. I would go to target once a month and try on the same pair of jeans to see how i was doing. When i first started, I was wearing a size 22 and couldnt wait until i could wear a size 18 because that was the size these jeans started at. Every month i would look forward to trying on jeans to see if the size went down. Now i'm comfortably in an 8 and eyeing the 6's ;)

Anyway, my suggestion is to eat less processed, more lean meats, fruits, veggies. No soda. I only drink water. I walk lots and that has slowly turned into jogging a little bit. I have kids so we would go to the park to run around or just walk in the mall because the weather sucks here during the winter. Just stick with it and you WILL DO IT. If I can do it, anyone can do it :)
  • Sassybmom
    Sassybmom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    My highest was 215 (not pregnant). I'm 5'5. I've maintained 120-150 (mostly 135) for a decade through 4 kids. It can be done! I started with baby steps (no more fast food, no more condiments, walk a bit more). You can do this! It would have been so much easier to have MFP back then!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!