Need encouragement/support 5'2" Female 15 lbs. to lose

Options
Hello All,

My name is Joy, I'm a 30 year old mom from Texas. As the subject line states, Im 5'2" trying to lose 15 lbs. gained from working night shift for 6 months. Im happy to say I am now off the night shift and now working days. However, losing this weight has been a struggle..ive been trying since March this year, and ive been losing and gaining the same 5 lbs. Ive gone On crash diets, did 1 1/2 months of Insanity and various workouts only to stay in the 130-133 weight range. I get very depressed and down a lot of the time. I struggle with eating right..i just need help and encouragement to push through..Some weeks ill eat right but tend to undo my efforts when i have cravings or if im stressed..so Im always looking for help and advice on consistent and good eating habits..esp when that TOM comes around! Its been such a struggle but im hanging in there and refuse to give up..please help..how long has it taken you to lose 15 lbs.??? What can i do to maintain a healthy fat loss diet without going hungry and overeating or giving in to sugar cravings??

Replies

• shaunthorpe1
    Options
    Joy, I hear ya, just keep going and drop the weight a little at a time, you will get there.. Night shifts really play havoc with your body..
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hey there Joy!

First of all, I believe in you and know you can get to your desired weight. Keep coming by MFP and we can give you encouragements along your journey. We are all working towards similar goals, and many of us face the same problems.

I struggle with a similar problem, working long days/nights as a graduate student my first year and I don't pay any attention to my needs. Making time for yourself is key. Give yourself a smaller goal to work on for the next two weeks, something you know you can do but have been putting off. Something like working out 3 days a week for 45 minutes, or going to the gym four days a week.

If you'd like to add me as a friend I can try and be interactive with you on your updates. :]

Wishing you the best!
  • mommyJ83
    Options
    Thank you both for the encouragement. .just reading those 2 posts alone means alot! Ashandstuff: I would be happy to add you as a friend! Thanks for the great advice, I think i will take you up on suggestion and make short, 2 week goals rather than 1 month at a time. Glad I joined this forum!
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it, make sure you are eating enough so you don't slow your metabolism, and count calories. You will lose the weight. I am the same height, started heavier than you, and am down to about 116 lbs now, my lowest being at about 111.

I also recommend exercise so you don't lose much muscle along with body fat. Oh, and eating what you enjoy in moderation so you don't end up miserable and/or binging.
  • mommyJ83
    Options
    That's awesome and motivating..how long did it take you to lose/ reach your current weight? Exercise and working is not a problem, i just eat horribly sometimes! Did you find your weight loss consistent or did you zig zag back n forth until you reached your goal weight?
  • Renegade706
    Options
    Hi Joy, Great name! Im looking to lose the same amount of weight you are, 15 lbs. We can do this! :) Feel free to add me, will be fun to watch each other reach our goal! You got this!
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Hi Joy, I am Rach, I am 5'4, 28 and from the UK. I have about 27lbs minimum to lose... I gained alot of weight due to shift work so I feel your pain.

I think I am a pretty supportive friend. Add me if you like :-)
  • dorycifelli
    Options
    you can do this!!! I promise..You just have to be discipline...I lost 10lbs in 8 weeks with exercise and changing my diet...
  • jjones62301
    jjones62301 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My words of advice would be "Be consistent!" You said you've done crash diets (tip: those NEVER work and you end up gaining all the weight back the minute you get hungry). You also said you tried Insanity for a month (tip: keep in mind that Insanity is not a weight loss program, it is a workout program. It's possible that you lost inches off your body but gained muscle by using this program, which kept the number on the scale the same but your body DID change). Third: you are at a normal BMI for your height and weight. Not being able to lose these last 15lbs may just be your body's way of saying "I'm good here, now let's maintain!". Forth: If you are dead set on hitting a specific number on the scale, THROW THE SCALE AWAY!! There IS such a thing as 'too skinny' and a bag of skin and bones doesn't look good on anyone! Focus more on how you FEEL and how your clothes fit than some stupid number.
  • Gagirl79
    Gagirl79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this! I have been trying seriously for about 3 1/2 months. and have only lost 13 pounds but I am starting to see results in my body. I am also only 5' 1/2 inch so I know how those few pounds feel on a small frame. I am currently at 163 and want to at least get to 135 then re-evaluate my long term goals. The key is to never give up!! I wanted to do this for about a year and a half but always fell off the wagon after about 30 days or so. I just know now that persistence is the key and it's working.

Feel free to add and good luck on your journey!
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi Joy! I'm 5'1". I am aiming to lose 20 lbs. You can friend me if you'd like. :)