PSMF

Options
It was recently suggested to me to do a PSMF, I'm considering it because I really have to start dropping weight fast for medical reasons while cutting out carbs and fats. I pretty sure my doctor will be on board for it.

Can anyone give out some pointers on it?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    But carbs and fat are nice?

What's wrong with moderate deficit, bit of exercise?

Think lifestyle change not quick fix!
  • getyourbeans
    getyourbeans Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've tried a PSMF a couple of times... despite my best intentions, gave up after about a week each time and went the other direction for a couple of days after. I think PSMF diets are really intended for people who are already in decent shape and can handle the discipline of an uber strict diet - the reason a lot of us have pounds to shed is because we don't have that extreme level of discipline when it comes to eating.

Plus, it sucks and is super anti social. And to me, now, shifting the weight very slightly faster isn't worth it in the long run (primarily due to the rebound effects after you come off it). Just my two cents.

If you're deadset on trying it, you should check out the forums on Lyle McDonald's website and check out the logs of those doing the Rapid Fat Loss diet (you'll note that the vast majority of the logs seem to stop updating after a few days).
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    As already stated, check out Lyle's forum (and buy the Rapid Fat Loss Handbook, considered by many to be the Bible of PSMF'ing) if you're serious about this. It will give you a much better picture of what's required.

I've done a PSMF a couple of times. Does it work? Yes. Does it suck? Yes. Very, very much. Note that the title of the book includes "A Scientific Approach to Crash Dieting". Because that's what it is. A crash diet. As long as you go into knowing that it's not something that can or should be used long term, you'll do fine.

The book: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/the-rapid-fat-loss-handbook

The forum for the book: http://forums.lylemcdonald.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have done the RFL program by Lyle McDonald and it worked very well. That said, I had been on a moderate carb plan for almost a year before going that route to drop another 20lb quickly. I doubt I would have been able to maintain the plan had it not been for a long period of moderate carbs. It is a huge daily deficit and it takes some time to get used to. 20g+- of fat or carb (plus reasonable amounts of certain fibrous carbs) during a day does not go very far and you will need to learn to fight the hunger pains. The large amount of protein helps keep you full, but caffeine and ephedrine will become your friends on this plan for sure.

There are a lot of nasty side effects to this concept. Motivation tanks, energy is not great, mood swings, difficulty focusing on your normal daily activity and eventually you will find your bedroom interests will plummet. Your body really starts to fight hard at a certain point to maintain a certain BF level, and it knows exactly what it can or cannot shut down at any time.

At this stage of the game I really would suggest a less drastic plan. It is far more probable for you to adhere to something less drastic and that is far more important than shaving a few weeks off the total duration achieving your goal to be healthy.

If you are interested in learning about the philological reasons about fat loss, buy some of Lyle's books. I have not found one yet that I have not found helpful. In your case, I think the guide to the flexible diet plan would be best. If you do want to go with a PSMF please buy Lyle's (or someone else) book. There are supplements you need to add due to the lack of some nutrients on a highly restricted carb plan.

There are many people posting their daily progress about their experience on RFL on Lyle's forum. The FAQ section also provides a lot of information. It is a very different forum because of the type of people it attracts, so do not join and immediately start asking questions that can be answered using the search function. People get annoyed and too many times and you can get the boot.

Good luck
  • Werner1950
    Werner1950 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't know what PSMF is. But I lost almost a pound a day for 7 days doing a 7 day vegetable juice fast. I didn't suffer too badly from cravings, and my energy did not sag like I expected it to. Go to Justonjuice.com to get introduced to the concept. Or rebootwithjoe.com