Hi Everyone! My Name is Joey

Options
Hi everyone. My name is Joey. I have been on several diets over the past ten years. The most recent was a couple of weeks ago when I attempted to try the Atkins diet. Needless to say, it wasn't for me. I think I will have to minimize carbs, but there is no way I can completely quit eating them.

I am from Raleigh, North Carolina in the heartland of great southern cooking. I am sure ya'll know what that means? Sweet Tea and Fried Chicken and all sorts of goodness.

I am taking great big steps to curtail my eating and have recently joined a local gym. So far I have been exercising for an hour a day and burning nearly 700 calories. In addition, I have eliminated sodas and drastically reduced the amount of sugar that I put in my tea. (I still have to have a little bit, but two table spoons instead of three to four cups has to be better for me)

To everyone out there who is struggling to lose weight! I wish you the best of luck. I know I can do this, and I know you can too!

Replies

• platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Welcome, Joey! I'm a newbie, too...

The folks on here are awesome...
  • GingerDarlene
    Options
    Try using Truvia in your tea; it's not bad at all. I'm in the south; and love me some sweet tea
  • precioustypeoflove
    Options
    im from new orleans im a southern girl to but u should try the crystal light tea i love it ~ and good luck on ur journey
  • KLaurean
    Options
    Hi Joey!
    I'm pretty new myself.
    Good luck :)
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, Joey! This site is excellent to keep you on track. Good luck!! Three words for you water, water, water.
  • campbellk
    Options
    Hi Joey! I'm new, as well!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    welcome joey!
  • jtbrighten
    Options
    I will have to give that a try. I certainly love the Crystal Light fruit punch and lemon aid.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a great start!

Cheers!

Katie (aka Kekibird)
  • jantawa
    jantawa Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Welcome Joey...you will find MFP and the people to be amazing!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    Hi..............you can have diet sweet tea and baked fried chicken:bigsmile: Welcome!
  • michelle29714
    Options
    Welcome Joey! I am in Fort Lawn SC about 3 hrs from you! I use Splenda in my tea, my kids only drink it and don't even know the deifference, also I drink the Iced tea Crystal lite, well the Wal-Mart brand rather. If you need any advice let me know, I am here to help. BTW I exercise 6 days a week doing P90X! I love love love it! lost 10 lbs in 4 weeks and 11 inces! can't beat that!
  • suzie1983
    Options
    welcome and good luck!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hi joey,good luck with which ever path you try..
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Welcome Joey. I put Whey Low in my tea, tastes just like sugar and only 5 calories and completely natural. There are ways to enjoy eating the foods you love, just skinny down the recipes. You will find some great recipes and support on this site.
  • jewahdenny
    Options
    Best of Luck fellow southerner. I have also decided enough is enough. Keep at it!
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey! I am a fellow southerner (MS) I love southern food, which is part of my problem obviously....I second the crystal light suggestion its pretty good.