Looking for healthy Slow Cooker Recipes

Options
atibrat
atibrat Posts: 70 Member
I love to use my Crock Pot and would love if anyone has some healthy recipes. I do not like to spend much time cooking so the Slow Cooker one meal recipes work great for me.

Replies

• knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    one of my go-tos is crock pot chicken fricassee. chicken breasts with lots of paprika, thyme & garlic. i also chop of celery, carrots and onions. sometimes green peppers if i have osme. i use low fat or fat free chicken broth, and sometimes if i'm feeling fancy i'll use a fat free can of mushroom soup. i shred the chicken about 30 minutes before serving, put back in the pot. i'll make some of chelle's cauliflower mashed potatoes recipe on the stove and serve the fricassee on top of the potatoes. really this is amazing with regular mashed potatoes, but trying to make it healthier :)

it's always a winner and freezes well too.

can't wait to see the other recipes! i also love baking chicken breasts because it is SOO easy.
  • atibrat
    Options
    That sounds really good.

I bake chicken often but love the meat and veggies cooked together.
    I may try the chicken fricassee tomorrow but probably will not be any
    to freeze because my husband loves healthy food like this though
    he hates to admit it LOL
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    hope you love it! it's one of my favorites!!!
    also if you like spicy, sriracha can be nice to add to this too :)
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    On Sunday, I threw this together in the crock pot - turned out pretty good:

Pork Tenderloin
    1 medium onion
    a bit of green pepper (prob could have left this out)
    a few cloves of garlic
    1 can of petite diced tomatoes
    1 large jar of marinated artichoke hearts
    A handful of fresh green beans.

Pretty tasty and low fat!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    The thing with the slow cooker is that as loong as you don't put anything unhealhty in, then what comes out MUST be healthy :bigsmile:

The biggest problem I have found with recipes online is that they tend to be either an assembly of packages (one pack this, one pack that, tin of this) and/or contain condensed soup and/or cheese.

Rather than soup I now use with stock (home-made or from a cube) or a Coleman's casserole mix if I want a soupy/stewy end result. If I want it creamy I add some cornflour at the end, or stir through some quark or half-fat creme fraiche. I also love putting in a whole chicken (skin removed) or piece of silverside beef and cook it until done - the chicken just has herbs added, the beef some spoonuls of redcurrant jelly - so you get rast-effect meat without all the fat. Yummy!
  • bwatzke
    bwatzke Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnyms.com She has lots of great healthy slow cooker recipes.
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    That chicken sounds great...
  • dajero1
    dajero1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sorry nothing to add, bumping
  • avitalrach
    Options
    Do you know about Stephanie O'Dea's blog? She did a 365 day Slow-Cooker challenge and kept a great blog about her experiences. Here's a link to her recipe index: http://crockpot365.blogspot.co.il/2007/12/alphabetical-listing-of-recipes.html

I've had a lot of success with her recipes, and they're quite easy to adapt.
  • atibrat
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that avitalrach - 365 days of slow-cooker meals
    I am on it!
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    bump
  • I recently made a butternut squash chili in my slow cooker that was very good! I don't have the exact recipe on me, but I can list the ingredients. The original recipe called for chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and fired roasted tomatoes. Since I made this for a family member that cannot eat seeds or nuts I ended up using fresh poblano pepper, fresh tomato, and tomato paste.

I included:
    1 medium butternut squash - diced into bite sized pieces
    1 medium onion - chopped
    5 cloves garlic - minced
    1 medium can of tomato paste (you could also use stock instead)
    1 can (16 oz) kidney beans - thoroughly rinsed
    3 roma tomatoes - diced
    1 large poblano pepper diced
    1-2 large bell peppers

spices to taste: salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg

I cooked mine for roughly 6 hours and it was delicious! Before adding in the garlic and onions, I briefly sauteed them. Also, I will roast the peppers for a richer flavor next time. Since I used tomato paste instead of a stock, I also added in water to thin it out a bit. Re-season if necessary before serving.

I served mine with avocado slices and fresh cilantro.

After we made this, we all thought fresh pumpkin could also work in place of the squash. Just another idea!
  • Suzeesmu
    Suzeesmu Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bumping this one!
  • ewennmacher
    Options
    http://onceamonthmom.com/101-fall-freezer-meals/

there are a ton of healthy meals on this sight, and a lot of them are slow cooker!! i am a big fan of cooking once a month and freezing my meals so i dont have to cook every night. the slow cooker recipies are the easiest ones!
  • LouLoulost
    LouLoulost Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The thing with the slow cooker is that as loong as you don't put anything unhealhty in, then what comes out MUST be healthy :bigsmile:

The biggest problem I have found with recipes online is that they tend to be either an assembly of packages (one pack this, one pack that, tin of this) and/or contain condensed soup and/or cheese.

Rather than soup I now use with stock (home-made or from a cube) or a Coleman's casserole mix if I want a soupy/stewy end result. If I want it creamy I add some cornflour at the end, or stir through some quark or half-fat creme fraiche. I also love putting in a whole chicken (skin removed) or piece of silverside beef and cook it until done - the chicken just has herbs added, the beef some spoonuls of redcurrant jelly - so you get rast-effect meat without all the fat. Yummy!

I steam Cauliflower in a pot with 2 fingers of water - drain and put it in a blender to this blender I add salt /pepper & parmesan cheese, add chicken broth till I like the creamy consistency- this is what you can use in replacement of soups and casseroles for condenced soup in recipes , way healthier, and this is my answer to alfredo over pasta :)
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light is a great source of healthy and yummy recipes. here's a link to their top 105 slow cooker recipes...

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/top-rated-recipes/slow-cooker-favorites-00400000038588/
  • hludwig980
    hludwig980 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I just toss a couple of lean pot roasts in mine and cook away. When I get home I pull it and shred one and people can make their own BBQ with whatever BBQ sauce they want. Or they can just eat it plain with what ever fresh or frozen veggies I make. Then my husband makes gravy and we have another meal of sliced beef and gravy (on the side for those of us who care about what we eat.) Freezes great! I do chili in mine too but definitely want to try the butternut squash chili posted here.
  • BlessedHeart
    BlessedHeart Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    *Bump*