How long to train for a half marathon!!

Options
I was looking to see if anyone has any advice on training for a half marathon. The marathon I want to participate in is about 6 months away!!! I am currently running only about a mile or 2 steady right now, but have been working hard and improving. Please if you have any advice on running feel free to give it. Also is 6 months a decent amount of time to train for such a big distance.

Replies

• ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You might want to train for a 5K and then a 10 K, you know, sort of work your way up!

Here is a blog that may interest you:

http://angryjogger.com/10-subtle-ways-that-running-will-change-your-life-dramatically-for-the-better.html

Warning: He is Irish and uses filthy language (not saying all Irish have potty mouths but I am just saying he does), he is extremely funny, and I found him very real and motivating. He started out his running career by training for a marathon so you might want to check it out.

Good luck!
  • nicolebeck89
    nicolebeck89 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks,
    Right now I'm working on a 5k that I will be doing in September!! Hopefully I can build up to the marathon in time. If not its ok ill just do it next year :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Loved it!

To the OP, if you're already working towards a 5K 6months should be plenty of time to train (some training plans are as short as 12 weeks.....which is a little too short for a newer runner IMO)

I agree with eh previous post, do your 5K and then work up to a 10K and then take it from there. If you do find the progression is too fast don't think of it as a failure, it took me 2 years to go from my first 5K to my first HM (but I''m an old geezer). You have a whole lifetime of running ahead of you.....enjoy it!