I haven't had any significant fat loss for almost a year :(

Options
For reference, I am 20 years old, 144 lbs, 5"7 and my measurements are 34-29-37

I started out at 203 pounds, which I put on very rapidly with depression and emotional eating. 3 years ago I started the Medifast diet and lost the bulk of the weight that way in a little under a year, which I realized way too late was a mistake because I was only eating 800-1000 calories a day (damaged my metabolism) and not exercising at all (not toning in preparation for the loss). This got me down to 144 lbs. I am 5"7 and my measurements are 34-29-37. I fluctuate a good 5 pounds week to week and my measurements never budge by more than a few centimeters up or down.

But now, even after dropping my body fat % some by *increasing* my calories from 1,200 to a more reasonable 1,400-1,500, taking Spin and Zumba classes 3-4 days a week, 30 minutes of cardio the other two days, and weight training 2-3 days a week, my weight and body fat have not BUDGED. My arms and legs look decent, but I swear my enormous gut hasn't changed since I weighed 160!

If I suck it in it looks... flabby but average with a little pooch. If I am not vigilant about my posture it instantly adds about ten pounds to my frame.

I feel like I have gotten all the downsides of weight loss (sagging, ugly breasts and a slower metabolism) and none of the benefits (flatter tummy, more energy, etc.)

Here's where I am sure I go wrong: Recently I realized I nibble at a lot of the candy we have at work, but I added it into MFP and the calories they add are not unreasonable (the sugar limit just goes into the red, but I lost weight going over the sugar before)...? Also, last week I attended a big family event for a day and ate a LOT of sugar and refined carbs, which I rarely do, but could that really doom my efforts? This may be an obvious question to some of you, but considering I didn't know anything about heath a few years ago something like this confuses me!

Am I not pushing hard enough with weights? Am I under-eating? Overeating? Overexercising? Not enough protein/fats/carbs? I have no idea what to do at this point, other than keep cutting out refined sugars of course.

I feel like at 20 this shouldn't be so hard... I need all the help I can get. Please.

Replies

• bartman4
    bartman4 Posts: 24
    Options
    Congratulations on your success to date! Great job!

I tell people I spent 20 years losing 20 pounds, so you are WAY ahead of me.

I dropped from 198 to 183 and then stayed there for 6 months. Sucked.

I had to decrease my calorie target (now ~1500) and increase my workouts to lose more.

Basically as you lose weight, you have less to carry around and you burn fewer calories. It gets harder, not easier to lose weight unfortunately.

Personally I don't believe that losing weight slows down your metabolism. I do believe that a workout early in the day can temporarily boost your metabolism and that getting older may slow down your metabolism.

I've been struggling with weight management since I was your age, so congratulations on taking positive steps to take care of yourself early!

I've had a gut since I was in my early 20s. My goal is to get rid of it. I'm a year into the process.

Best of luck on your journey.