Tofu Shirataki Noodles

Options
I love watching the Hungry Girl show on food network and although she does use a lot of processed foods she does offer some good food swaps. Instead of pasta she uses tofu shirataki noodles and I had never heard of them. Has anyone ever ate them if so what do they taste like?

Replies

• xMakeupMonkeyx
    xMakeupMonkeyx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if these are the same as the ones I have tried because I don't think mine were tofu?! But I've had shirataki noodles a few times and I like them. I can't stand them on their own, they taste really bland and not nice to me. I cook them in the wok with some sesame oil, veggies and soy sauce and they are insanely good!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    They are awful. Weird texture, no taste, and a total insult to Italian food.

I have a case of it if you want it.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    They're okay, however I think they're worth the money. Maybe it's because I'm not a big noodle person anyway.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    just eat pasta and fit it into your carb and calorie goal for the day ...carbs are not evil....repeat that three times a day while standing in the mirror...
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    They are okay with the right sauce.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    All I can say is ... "GAG". I hated everything about them. The texture, the lack of taste, and the god awful SMELL.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There's a tofu variety and a yam variety.
    The tofu one is fine for most things (if you rinse it first).
    The yam variety, imho, is best suited for recipes that call for "glass noodles" or "mung bean noodles". Not much else.

Cook them in a broth before you eat em.
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    just eat pasta and fit it into your carb and calorie goal for the day ...carbs are not evil....repeat that three times a day while standing in the mirror...

This; you can also try spaghetti squash, which is yummy!
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I think they are disgusting. Eat whole grain pasta, brown rice pasta or check out my favorite pasta from http://www.fibergourmet.com/Pasta.aspx

You would never know it's not regular pasta and it's got crazy amounts of fiber.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I tried them recently as a substitute for pasta. Not worth it. I'd gotten so used to ww pasta, that these weren't even close. Maybe they are closer to white pasta. Actually, I think they'd only really be a feasible substitute in Asia dishes than Italian ones. Regarding the smell, I followed Hungry Girl's advise and rinsed them a lot and then dried them on a dish towel, so no smell. It is more that the texture and taste are both, well, too limp.
    As ndj says above, it is better to just have real pasta.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    first time I had them I didnt drain them properly and they ended up diluting the spaghetti sauce I put on them. Then second Time I used them I dried them really well and actually toasted them up in a saute pan (no oil or anything just plain noodles) to get some of the water out

that is my go to way to make them now - just the amount of water they hold threw me off - they have a pretty fishy smell initially but you just have to wash them really well.
  • Alphagirl69
    Options
    Omg they do suck!
  • daisygeep
    Options
    I would never use them as a sub for Italian pasta - use spaghetti squash or even zuke shred into noodles instead.

But I LOVE them in Asian style noodle dishes!

Make sure you rinse and drain them well before using. I love to make a noodle bowl with these, some chicken stock and miso paste then toss in lots of crisp fresh veggies like green onion, bell pepper, snow peas, shredded carrots, radish, cilantro, mint and thai basil, add some peanuts and throw in a bit of siracha and peanut sauce!!! Super low cal, low carb, filling and YUMMY!

Use them in an Asian style cold noodle salad instead of ramen. Use them instead of rice in Asian and idian curries.

They can be a bit spendy if you buy them at the grocery store. I get mine at the Asian market in the cooler and they are $1.50 a bag. Much better price.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    They are awful. Weird texture, no taste, and a total insult to Italian food.

I have a case of it if you want it.

lol I want it.
  • Kaymegan90
    Options
    I like them. I recommend if you are eating them, though, to rinse them THOROUGHLY and dry them really well before you eat them. They smell fishy (literally) when you open the bag, which is weird and I don't know why, but I've discovered once I season them up and cut them into small bites (because I really like tricking myself and this is just the easiest way to do it), they're pretty good. :)
  • paigebolling
    paigebolling Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments. Seems like it depends on your taste. I really love pasta so I'm afraid that they may not be for me. I wouldnt care to try them if they were sold locally but I would have order online and have them shipped. I think unless I find them in a local store I'll just stick to ww pasta and and try spaghetti squash (since I've never tried that either).
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    *shudders*

YUCK

Would NOT eat
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Tried them for the first time today. They were the "spinach" shirataki Miracle noodles (not sure if they had tofu in them or not?) I never could get the smell completely out (and I rinsed them well and dried them), but that didn't bother me. I put spirulina powder in my water on a regular basis so I guess I've gotten used to weird, seaweed-y smells -- LOL. What I couldn't get past was the rubbery texture. The taste wasn't completely disgusting but not good enough that I'd ever want to try them again.

Edited to add: I tossed them in a really good Thai peanut sauce and even that didn't help.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The tofu ones tossed in a nice pesto sauce are quite good, actually.
  • xtrasmall
    Options
    cool thanks 4 the tip on pesto sauce sabine like ive been meaning to try them actually n happen to have 2 jars of pesto ive been trying to find a use 4 b4 they expire soon blah