Does 300 more calories make a difference?

Options
I'm a 22 y/o female, 5'1.5" and 145 pounds. Using the TDEE-500 method, I figured out that my daily calorie intake should be 1500.

I've been doing a lot of reading about how eating 1200 calories - what the site originally had me on - is unsustainable in the long run. Indeed, that seems to be the case for me, since I've eaten that low and lost weight, but it would then come back.

I know little to nothing about the body science, but does an added 300 calories make enough of a difference for me to see healthy, sustainable weight loss over time, or should I bump my calories up even more? I don't want to screw up my metabolism any more than it already is.

Thanks!

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Why do you think your metabolism is screwed up?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I am new here and don't know enough to give you an answer on that one, but from my experience of this site so far, I am sure that someone will have the information you need
  • Mrscaperton
    Options
    I cant offer much help either but I am trying to stick to 1200 and wonder if I should go up to 1500?? Sorry to jump on the thread but good post :O)
  • Rippedly
    Options
    A few years of super low caloric intake on-and-off - I was eating 1200 and below for a long time, which I've since learned can slow your metabolism to a crawl.
  • Mrscaperton
    Options
    A few years of super low caloric intake on-and-off - I was eating 1200 and below for a long time, which I've since learned can slow your metabolism to a crawl.

:O( argh don't tell me this!! lol
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    The TDEE-500...what percentage is that of the TDEE #? How close are you to your goal?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is probably fine.

This time, after you manage to lose it again, don't go back to your old habits and it won't "come back".
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends. Your metabolism may be screwed up if you ate 1200 for a year or something. If you only did it on and off though and ate normally (or even overate) for months at a time since, you're fine.

And yes I do TDEE-20% too, and it's been working.