Short people (below 5'3" and jogging.

Options
Is it possible to actually run fast?

I'm 25, 4'11" (149cm) and my BMI is currently about 30, it was 37 two years ago.

I completed a 5k race today in just under 42 minutes, I ran the whole way and have completed the C25k a few months ago so felt I had improved my speed significantly however I just cannot go any faster than I am doing already.

I use a heart rate monitor and it often hits 190-200 mark when I run as fast as I can (which I can't keep up for longer than 30 seconds anyway)... so I try to keep a steady pace and keep it at 160ish which is comfortable for me however if I go uphill or get a bit of speed up, it goes straight back up (and bleeps at me that I'm not in the correct 'zone').

So... is it physically possible for someone my height to finish a C25k in say, 20-25 minutes?
I do all my jogging with my husband who is about 5'10" and could complete the 5k considerably faster than me, but I feel I have to take about double the amount of steps he does to keep up.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to actually run fast?

I'm 25, 4'11" (149cm) and my BMI is currently about 30, it was 37 two years ago.

I completed a 5k race today in just under 42 minutes, I ran the whole way and have completed the C25k a few months ago so felt I had improved my speed significantly however I just cannot go any faster than I am doing already.

I use a heart rate monitor and it often hits 190-200 mark when I run as fast as I can (which I can't keep up for longer than 30 seconds anyway)... so I try to keep a steady pace and keep it at 160ish which is comfortable for me however if I go uphill or get a bit of speed up, it goes straight back up (and bleeps at me that I'm not in the correct 'zone').

So... is it physically possible for someone my height to finish a C25k in say, 20-25 minutes?
    I do all my jogging with my husband who is about 5'10" and could complete the 5k considerably faster than me, but I feel I have to take about double the amount of steps he does to keep up.

Running ability, or running speed, is based on fitness, not height or stride length. There are plenty competitive age-group and world class athletes your height--they all run considerably faster than both males and females who are much taller, but less fit. .
  • LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yes. I know someone of your height who completes half-marathons in about 90 minutes. I know how you feel, however - I currently remain stubbornly slow!!
  • Otrogen
    Otrogen Posts: 65
    Options
    It isn't your height -- it's just your fitness level. It takes time to build up to being capable of running at such speeds. I do feel you on the height problem, though. I honestly run so slowly to keep within my heart rate zone that I don't even go at a speed which qualifies as fitness walking :X. I'm 5'2". I couldn't walk 4 mph if I tried -- at that speed, I'm running to keep up with the treadmill haha.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3. When I got up to 5k distance last year I was running it in 39:20. I kept at it and got it down to 29:52. I had to get to 20 miles a week of running to make that happen. Now I'm consistently running at 27 for 5k. Because I increased my running again getting to the 25-30 miles a week range. Pretty sure I could get down to 25 mins if that was my focus, but I like longer distances better.

How many miles a week are you actually running? My guess is that you need to take your time and increase mileage/endurance and experience before you see speed gains. When I was just running 12-15 miles a week I wasn't improving. Stick with it! Running takes time, height shouldn't be a limiting factor. In fact I do have a friend who is 4'11 and won't run with me because I'm to slow. She runs 7 min miles.

Good luck!
  • rheelizabeth
    rheelizabeth Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    7 min miles... holy balls! I'd like to reach 10 or 11 min miles, I'd be content with that!

At the most I was doing 5k 4-5 times a week so may 12-15 miles a week? However I often do the whole hour and manage to do close to 5 miles but feel so wiped out after it that I need 2 days rest because my hips and knees really ache, I guess that's my weight, so will get easier the longer it goes. I also have chronic shin splints that even my pysio is struggling to help with! (I do proper warm ups and cool downs, good new trainers, thick socks and insoles to help, they help a teeny bit but I still get very bad pain).

I only started running in April so really I'm doing OK I guess. I seem to be able to get my heart rate up to quite high just be walking fast, I see this indicates I'm far from healthy? My resting HR is around 60-75 though which is alright?

Thank you... on and upwards!