What to bring to a pot luck?

Options
My aunt's hosting a pot luck for all of my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I'm gluten free & lactose free, so I usually have to take my own food anyway. My aunts are generally mortified as I eat my salad with chicken for a protein and gluten, lactose free salad dressing as they're all five plates in with pork, chicken wings, roast beef, mac & cheese. Whatever's unhealthy, you can guarantee it at my family's pot luck. I'm just wondering if anybody has any gluten free, lactose free meals that are much more filling and are healthy but still look as good as my family's fattening meats, mac & cheese, macaroni & potato salads that are covered in 500 calories worth of mayo, and their cakes for dessert. I know for a fact that I am taking almond milk ice cream & strawberries for dessert though!

Replies

• Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I went to a BBQ the other day, and wanted to bring 'healthy options'. I shredded about a kilo of carrots, sliced the same amount of tomatoes and made a good quantity of my favorite dressing : one yogurt, one tablespoon of olive oil, one of vinegar, salt, pepper, fresh basil with a nice spin in the mixer.
    Since everyone else had brought meat, i had quite a success with my 'refreshing dish'.
    If it sounds too simple, you could homemake taboule.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Yes @ bringing a veggie plate. If no one else ends up eating it, just bring it back home with you and you can have the rest to yourself. :P Though if other people see you eating it, some others might be adventurous enough to have some veggies too.

There are mayo-free potato salad recipes, like German potato salad. You could also make a light gluten free pasta salad with chopped veggies in it (use light oil instead of mayo or yogurt since you're looking for lactose free).
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've gone out of my way at family events to bring salads with interesting ingredients - and fruit salads with loads of variety as well. The first brunch I did this at - everyone sort of tested it - then it was a hit. I get asked everytime to bring the salads. Fruit salads around here are usuall apples, grapes, bananas and oranges with some sugar. I add everything I can find including berries, tropical fruits, black grapes, etc. For the "sauce" I just add some sort of fruit juice - sometimes reduced first to make it richer. Last time I also got asked for cole slaw - which I did - and would be an easy gluten free recipe.

I just hit a few grocery stores, chop until my hands are tired and arrange it in a giant bowl as pretty as I can - sometimes layered, sometimes in segments - sometimes tossed. Whatever it lends itself to.

Also - provide grilled meats - who doesn't like a steak! No reason it has to have gluten... Who would back up from a steak?

Cheese platter with some gluten free crackers (and some not) - only you need to know which is which.

Pie with a nut crust - I did this with pumpkin one time - no reason that has to have gluten and no reason for them to know the difference. I made a mixed nut pie one time with this crust too - I wouldn't say it would be low calorie though LOL - but I would have shoved you down to get the last piece

No bake cookies - if you have acceptable oats you use - use a from scratch recipe and adapt as needed

Real mashed potatoes! (or cauli puree - which I love any day diet or not)

Roasted veggies - crudely cut up some root veggies, toss in olive oil and herbs of your choosing - roast spread thin in a shallow pan until just browned - and nom nom nom

I like veggie tray too - with some dip - most no veggie people would still use a carrot as a carrying device for dip

I'm sure there are gluten free fudge candy type recipes - they'd eat it - you could eat a little piece - and have peace?

Green beans - my aunt cooks them fresh low and slow (most of a day) with chicken broth and bacon pieces. OMG those are good.

Just beans - good ol' white beans and ham are a good comfort food item for many

Bean salad - think three bean salad ... good staple item -

Dana Carpender's "those chicken things" - pound out a boneless skinless chicken breast - wrap each one around an ounce of cream cheese (your fat level of preference) mixed with one green onion - bundle up - wrap the whole thing in bacon slices and toothpick to secure. Cook on outdoor grill - done with the cheese oozes. These are a hit with anyone and everyone I know. Who could hate bacon, onion, cream cheese chicken hunks?

I just would bring something - and not make a fuss about the difference in it. Maybe bring a couple or three items so your plate has more variety on it. Choose carefully among what you didn't bring. Don't make statements about what you can't eat - if they ask just say "I'm just watching what I eat." If they pursue - they are rude - or curious. If curious answer nicely - if rude - don't answer.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Bring something you love to eat and bring something they love to eat.

I usually make a lasagna or a cold penne and asparagus salad, even though I rarely eat either of these foods. It'll show you're thinking of them.

Then bring whatever you enjoy. I make a minced mediterranean salad. I bought a chop wizard that cubes everything, and cucumber, tomatoes, onions, Italian parsley and basil, lemon or lime juice, thin sliced garlic, and whatever else you want in it. If it's robust and brightly colored, others will probably enjoy it as well.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I've gone out of my way at family events to bring salads with interesting ingredients - and fruit salads with loads of variety as well. The first brunch I did this at - everyone sort of tested it - then it was a hit. I get asked everytime to bring the salads. Fruit salads around here are usuall apples, grapes, bananas and oranges with some sugar. I add everything I can find including berries, tropical fruits, black grapes, etc. For the "sauce" I just add some sort of fruit juice - sometimes reduced first to make it richer. Last time I also got asked for cole slaw - which I did - and would be an easy gluten free recipe.

I just hit a few grocery stores, chop until my hands are tired and arrange it in a giant bowl as pretty as I can - sometimes layered, sometimes in segments - sometimes tossed. Whatever it lends itself to.

Also - provide grilled meats - who doesn't like a steak! No reason it has to have gluten... Who would back up from a steak?

Cheese platter with some gluten free crackers (and some not) - only you need to know which is which.

Pie with a nut crust - I did this with pumpkin one time - no reason that has to have gluten and no reason for them to know the difference. I made a mixed nut pie one time with this crust too - I wouldn't say it would be low calorie though LOL - but I would have shoved you down to get the last piece

No bake cookies - if you have acceptable oats you use - use a from scratch recipe and adapt as needed

Real mashed potatoes! (or cauli puree - which I love any day diet or not)

Roasted veggies - crudely cut up some root veggies, toss in olive oil and herbs of your choosing - roast spread thin in a shallow pan until just browned - and nom nom nom

I like veggie tray too - with some dip - most no veggie people would still use a carrot as a carrying device for dip

I'm sure there are gluten free fudge candy type recipes - they'd eat it - you could eat a little piece - and have peace?

Green beans - my aunt cooks them fresh low and slow (most of a day) with chicken broth and bacon pieces. OMG those are good.

Just beans - good ol' white beans and ham are a good comfort food item for many

Bean salad - think three bean salad ... good staple item -

Dana Carpender's "those chicken things" - pound out a boneless skinless chicken breast - wrap each one around an ounce of cream cheese (your fat level of preference) mixed with one green onion - bundle up - wrap the whole thing in bacon slices and toothpick to secure. Cook on outdoor grill - done with the cheese oozes. These are a hit with anyone and everyone I know. Who could hate bacon, onion, cream cheese chicken hunks?

I just would bring something - and not make a fuss about the difference in it. Maybe bring a couple or three items so your plate has more variety on it. Choose carefully among what you didn't bring. Don't make statements about what you can't eat - if they ask just say "I'm just watching what I eat." If they pursue - they are rude - or curious. If curious answer nicely - if rude - don't answer.

Normally there is a lot of horrible diet-y answers but I have to say that this is a wonderful presentation of ideas.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Normally there is a lot of horrible diet-y answers but I have to say that this is a wonderful presentation of ideas.

THANKS! I am living it - and not much into the fat free, fake sugar stuff. I want food, not "dieters delight" concoctions.
  • aileengh
    aileengh Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you're taking almond milk ice cream. Do you make that yourself? I've been looking for a recipe and, if you have one, would you be willing to share it?
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Maybe a GF cold pasta salad with black olives, pimentos and italian dressing.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,660 Member
    Options
    Salads with quinoa or barley are a more modern take on pasta salads. I think they are tastier, more festive and look good on the buffet even after sitting out for a few hours. Here are some examples.

http://healthwisehome.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/recipes-quinoa-edamame-and-tomato-salad/
    http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/double-mint-barley-tabbouleh/
    http://theladybites.co.uk/2012/02/ottolenghis-barley-and-pomegranate-salad-with-added-feta/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,660 Member
    Options
    Last time I attended a BBQ I brought Moroccan Carrot Salad which was a big hit

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/moroccan-carrot-salad-recipe/index.html

Additional advantage of being very simple in terms of cooking and shopping.
  • mellawella77
    mellawella77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had a potluck last week. I brought spinach and artichoke dip from trader joes and a veggie plate of raw cruciferous vegetables. You could swap the dip for hummus.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    use chicken breast tenders, put some zesty italian dressing on them and bake them- if you don't have a problem with it using parmesan cheese (the shake out kind for spaghetti) then shake a quick sprinkle of that and a little pepper on them too, it is absolutely delicious-- you can use fat free and/ or sugar free zesty italian if you want
  • daisygeep
    Options
    My husbands family recently had an event and I knew it would be fried chicken, potato salad, mac salad, yada, yada, fatty, starchy, yada...

So I offered to bring sides!

I made rosemary roasted carrots. Creole beans and brown rice. A big fruit salad with loads of berries. A cuke and tomato salad with some feta and red onions in a light vinaigrette. And a sauté of asparagus, sugar snap peas, portabella mushrooms, red onion, red peppers, sundried tomatoes with lemon zest and juice and fresh parsley. THEY ATE EVERYTHING!!!! and several people asked for recipes!
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free, but don't have to worry about lactose. I've taken to bringing a casserole that is a complete meal, in case there's nothing else "safe". Base is cooked rice or quinoa, add a veg - my usual choice is broccoli, peas or beans and then some meat or fish, chunked up into casserole-sized pieces. Add seasoning to taste. You can also make a bean and rice casserole with other vegetables and spices for flavor, according to your taste, if you prefer something more or less vegetarian.
  • Travelgal622
    Travelgal622 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like to take a salad. My favorite is snap peas, green onions, tomatoes all cute into bite size a few Sesame sticks and Kraft light Asian dressing or make your own dressing. Stir all that with the dressing and serve with Lettuce wraps. This dish is always popular at events! Have fun!
  • ohheyitsfelicity
    Options
    I apologize for responding so late! I bought it from the grocery store, the brand is Almond Dream :)
  • ohheyitsfelicity
    Options
    Sorry for responding so late! Thanks to everyone for their wonderful ideas :) I ended up just taking a meal for myself to avoid cross-contamination :)