i had lost about 12 pounds and now ive gained most of it

Options
Hello MFP,
so i need motivation. i had lost twelve pounds and ive gained most of it if not all. i feel like i just stopped watching what i ate and stopped recording. i eat alot of fast food and i eat alot in general. i just dont know how to get out of this vicious cycle. i always eat without being hungry and it has to be a huge helping too. any tips on how to get out of this would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Krohnie
    Krohnie Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    You really have to get to the point that it means more for you to make healthy choices than it does for you to continue what you're doing. Time is going to pass anyway, might as well have at least tried your best instead of getting worse.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If you aren't logging consistently then you can not keep track of what you are putting into your body,,, That is the first place to start, it will keep you honest and on point with your diet... making this a lifestyle commitment is the key to long term success, until your ready to make such then you are going to play the Yo Yo game for years to come..... Best of Luck
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    #1 rule, Never eat anything before it is logged, if you do this you will never go over without being aware. Knowledge is power and funny how if you know it could happen you will make better choices. Good luck.
  • A_Healthier_Me2013
    A_Healthier_Me2013 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise ?? What are your daily goals ?? Try not to restrict yourself from foods you love but learn portion control ...
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i feel like i just stopped watching what i ate and stopped recording.

I have done this a number of times. Lost a few kg by recording what I ate and paying attention to what and how much I put in, then stopped tracking because it was all too hard, went back to my 'old' ways and regained some, if not all of the weight I lost (sometimes more!). It's not easy to stick to things long-term if you don't make sustainable changes and can't kick those habits like fast food, eating from boredom, emotion and so on.

Personally I needed to find a really good reason and motivation to stick to it. And a way of sticking to it without depriving myself of the things I loved. Last year I lost about 8kg by eating 1200 calories per day and torturing myself because that calorie allowance didn't allow for treats and slip ups. In May of this year I started an eating program designed by a personal trainer who had been where I'd been and lost her weight slowly by making small changes. I learned about TDEE and BMR and taking in enough protein to keep me satisfied. I still have treats. I still have slip ups. Before, if I slipped up and ate something I probably shouldn't have, I'd think 'Well now I've messed up, I might as well have all the treats.' And a slip up would turn into a binge and then I'd feel even worse about myself. Now I have a treat and keep going making sure I eat the rest of my meals as I planned.

I don't really know how to motivate people. But this is how I have lost 12kg in the past few months and I am still going. Because this is now for life, not for a short time.
  • Kasuko
    Kasuko Posts: 42
    Options
    Don't call this a viscous cycle, I know that's what it feels like but when you refer to it you imply that it will always continue. Ignore my cheesiness but I'd prefer if people would call it a viscous (upward) spiral or something. In weight loss there will ALWAYS be ups and downs. Almost no one gets it "right" the first time. You just have to realize that on your first attempt you learned a lot and you are at a better place to begin again.

Do not let yourself get discouraged. I know we are all here because we want to lose weight but you have to stop thinking of it like that, you have to think of it more like adopting a healthy lifestyle. Part of the reason this "cycle" is so viscous is due to the guilt you feel from "failing" that causes it to become more and more difficult to put the effort in.

Don't think of gaining weight as failure, all it is is your body's barometer. When you find yourself gaining pounds don't think "well I failed again" just think of it like your body letting you know you are slipping up and to make yourself more strict.

You just always have to be on top of yourself.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "how to have your cake and skinny jeans too". You can get it on kindle for $8-$9 and it will be the best money you ever spent.

It talks about why you (and 95% of the dieters out there) gain the weight back. It's normal. Not only does she talk about why dieting doesn't work, she talks about what will work -- learning to recognize true hunger and eat what your body needs. It totally changed my eating habits and I have not counted a single calorie since I read it (I'm maintaining).

I wish I could buy this book for everyone on MFP . . .